Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Airless Tires

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Airless Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 09:29 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Airless Tires

Has anyone an opinion?

I have Kelvar-lined tires and Slimed tubes, but I dread flats. It is odd, I have the manual dexterity to play the piano and organ, but I am very bad at fixing flats and replacing tires; the various components seem to take a life of their own when I try to work with them.
Old 03-26-07, 09:38 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All I've heard was bad.
Old 03-26-07, 10:02 PM
_dhan_
Amateur Hack

Bikes: Marin mtb turned tri turned commuter turned singlespeed, Haro Werks 2.0, Specialized Epic Allez carbon main tube built up for triathlons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only time you see me near an airless tire is when I've got a flat!
Old 03-26-07, 10:14 PM
jimblairo

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a set. He was making a sharp but low speed turn and the front tire popped off the rim. End of experiment.
Old 03-26-07, 10:14 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
About a dozen years ago we tested 'airless' tires for a company on our tandem. On a very smooth road, they were fine. Any bumps and you lost the 'boyancy' that an aired up tire provides. Lots of road vibration!
Crossing a cattle guard (we live in the wild west) it felt like an earthquake!
Not a good idea!
Like learning to play the piano/organ, changing a flat takes 'practice!' So in your garage, take off wheel(s) on your bike and practice removing/installing a tire/tube. Not that difficult after a few attempts!
Good luck!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 03-26-07, 10:17 PM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So say Sheldon Brown:

"Airless Tires

Of all the inventions that came out of the bicycle industry, probably none is as important and useful as Dr. Dunlop's pneumatic tire.

Airless tires have been obsolete for over a century, but crackpot "inventors" keep trying to bring them back. They are heavy, slow and give a harsh ride. They are also likely to cause wheel damage, due to their poor cushioning ability. A pneumatic tire uses all of the air in the whole tube as a shock absorber, while foam-type "airless" tires/tubes only use the air in the immediate area of impact.

Airless tire schemes have also been used by con artists to gull unsuspecting investors. My advice is to avoid this long-obsolete system."
Old 03-27-07, 06:11 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires plus Mr. Tuffy. Solid tires have improved a lot in the past hundred years, but pneumatics have improved more.

Paul
Old 03-27-07, 06:36 AM
enantiodroma
Seen Your Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the right tire tools help big time, i'm a fan of the crank brothers speed-whatever (with the telescoping arm that connects to the axle) & the nice hard yellow tire levers..some one else can fill in the proper product names if necc.
Old 03-27-07, 06:39 AM
bike2math

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Embrace the flat! Just keep telling yourself: I couldn't fix a flat on my car myself. I don't know. maybe you could, but I don't even know where to begin to fix a flat on my car (other than say, Discount Tire). So I patch my tube and love it!!
Old 03-27-07, 08:18 AM
Curiouswill

Bikes: trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heh, I uses a solid rubber tire (forgot the brand name but it is the one being sold at Wal-Mart). I know what y'all mean by the lack of cushioning so I've had bought the (very) cushioned seat with 3 in of gel and some suspension underneath it. It had helped me reduce a lot of my worries about getting flats. Here in colorado springs, I would almost always gets a flat whenever I go anywhere beside my usual commuting routes. Though now I'm gonna have to go over to the "Bicycle Mechanic" forum and figure out how to straighten out my rear wheel a little more. (I go over too much curbs).
Old 03-27-07, 10:40 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elkhound, I visited your town in 1970 when you had a coal burning power plant and visibility in the downtown area was 8 blocks. I sure hope it has gotten better. When I get repeated flats (rare) on a commute I try other routes. Usually works.
Old 06-15-09, 08:28 AM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@ken_cummings--Yes, it has gotten a lot better.
Old 06-15-09, 09:06 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, another 2+ year old thread revival.
Old 06-15-09, 07:46 PM
crhilton

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I'm sure ken had been dying to know if the smog in the town had improved!
Old 06-15-09, 10:12 PM
Elkhound

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For various reasons, the topic of airless tires had come up and I wanted to review the research I had done on the matter; hence, my revisiting this thread.
Old 06-15-09, 10:16 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crhilton
Well I'm sure ken had been dying to know if the smog in the town had improved!
It just shows that patience pays off!
Old 06-15-09, 10:25 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elkhound
Has anyone an opinion?

I have Kelvar-lined tires and Slimed tubes, but I dread flats. It is odd, I have the manual dexterity to play the piano and organ, but I am very bad at fixing flats and replacing tires; the various components seem to take a life of their own when I try to work with them.
Rode w/3 different types and psi ratings. All the Nu-Teck brand. Still believe them to be a workable alternative for urban commutes of 10 miles or under. One will be slowed 1-3 mph depending on terrain and will be guaranteed no flats, but they do have drawbacks. They cost alot. They WILL come off the rim if not properly sized. The ride is bumpy and they 'feel' strange at first, but one gets accustomed to the 'squirrelly' feel. If you weigh over 200 lbs, forget it. You'll break spokes and want to send them back. I'd still be using them except I ride long commuting/utility distances, live in a hilly area and got tired of the grind. Because of the rolling resistance cycling became a chore and I started hating to ride. But, I hated flats more, so I gritted my teeth and kept pounding away. Then I had a mechanical situation on my main commuter and had to borrow my wife's bike for a couple of days. It's a 3x6 Specialized Crossroads Hybrid w/32mm pneumatics...DING!

So, I decided to go back to pnenumatic tires. Lurked here on BF -Commuter, General, Touring, Car-Free, etc. and decided the best all-around option were the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Gatorskins and Armadillos were seriously considered as well. So, now I've got 3 sets for my commuter bikes. On my primary commuter I've got over 7000 miles w/one flat and one slow leak. It's a Motobecane Fantom CX w/28mm SMP's. When the slow leak developed I got a new SMP for the rear and have over 1000 commuting miles on it w/no issues. The front tire has over 8000 commuter miles w/no issues. The other 2 bikes are both conversions used both as commuter and recreational rides. One's a singlespeed and one's a 1x8 roadie w/barend shifting. Both have SMP 25mm. Over 2500 combo miles on both and though I've had pinch flats and rim burrs puncture the tubes the tires have been unscathed. In every case the loss of air can be traced to some negligence on my part, not the tires.

So, for the same money I'd recommend staying w/pneumatics, getting SMPs and a Kool Stop tire lever as you'll never get them mounted without it. Use a little dishsoap on the bead, too. Carry the tool w/you in your tool kit and get a Topeak Road Morph w/guage frame pump. Anxiety-free commuting.