Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

r0ckh0und's 78 Fuji America

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 10:15 AM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts

Picked up a fine example of the Fuji America today. Serial #78C50061 Sugino Mighty triple, Superbe Tech RD, Gyromaster hubs laced to 700c Ukai rims. Clean up will hopefully be pretty straightforward as condition looks to be very good. The only issues I noticed upon initial inspection were a loose headset and rims needing attention. Seat tube measures 57cm c-t

Old 04-18-23, 06:22 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Beautiful find, and I can’t believe there aren’t some more comments. As a recent owner of a 72 Fuji Newest, I am a fan of these earlier Fujis. Reading several posts reveals owners are very pleased with them. Perhaps the later mass market success has tarnished the desirability such as some feel here for the Trek brand. Both brands seem to be especially revered for their earlier offerings.

Looking at the America, introduced as a tourer, it just screams Sport Tourer today. Look up that Sugino Mighty Tour as a used item. 700c wheels in 1977 too when most manufacturers waited another 5 years at least, especially on touring oriented bikes. Beautiful long point lugs and chrome socks scream class. I need another bike like a hole in the head, but if that showed up nearby, I would proudly own it. People love the ride of the early Fuji frames, and I bet it will be wonderful. Nice find and good luck with the cleanup. Looking forward to some more pics.
Old 04-18-23, 06:34 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Beautiful bike. I've looked for one of these for a while with no luck. I do have a 70s Fuji Finest though and it's not that different.
Old 04-18-23, 07:13 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
If an America had been available when I was looking for a project, I would have bought it, but the local shop had an S12-S LTD in need of some love, so that's what I got. The S12-S LTD and the America were very similar, the main differences being the triple crank and 700 wheels on the America. They are great for a long day in the saddle. I have always loved Fuji's Rainbow Blue on the America, so I tried to emulate it on my S12-S LTD. At some point, I would like to put a triple crank on mine, just to be able to travel to hillier areas. You can see in the picture, a triple is not needed around here.

1981 Fuji S12-S LTD
Old 04-18-23, 07:20 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Beautiful find, and I can’t believe there aren’t some more comments. As a recent owner of a 72 Fuji Newest, I am a fan of these earlier Fujis. Reading several posts reveals owners are very pleased with them. Perhaps the later mass market success has tarnished the desirability such as some feel here for the Trek brand. Both brands seem to be especially revered for their earlier offerings.

Looking at the America, introduced as a tourer, it just screams Sport Tourer today. Look up that Sugino Mighty Tour as a used item. 700c wheels in 1977 too when most manufacturers waited another 5 years at least, especially on touring oriented bikes. Beautiful long point lugs and chrome socks scream class. I need another bike like a hole in the head, but if that showed up nearby, I would proudly own it. People love the ride of the early Fuji frames, and I bet it will be wonderful. Nice find and good luck with the cleanup. Looking forward to some more pics.
Absolutely love the 70's and early 80's Fuji bikes. Recently acquired a Fuji Finest from circa 1972. Beautiful bike. I also have a Fuji Touring V which is from the early 80's.
Old 04-18-23, 10:46 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Cough, cough..... https://www.bikeforums.net/22133936-post2014.html

Likes For bark_eater:
Old 04-18-23, 12:02 PM
r0ckh0und 

Thank you for the comments. Realizing that the Tech derailleurs are not original I have some Cyclone that should fit nicely. Also a Fujita Belt and brown cloth bar wrap that should match up well with the seat tube lettering. Also noting that the seat tube decal and light blue head tube don't match up with other 78 color schemes I've seen.

Likes For r0ckh0und:
Old 04-18-23, 12:30 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
Thank you for the comments. Realizing that the Tech derailleurs are not original I have some Cyclone that should fit nicely. Also a Fujita Belt and brown cloth bar wrap that should match up well with the seat tube lettering. Also noting that the seat tube decal and light blue head tube don't match up with other 78 color schemes I've seen.
That's interesting. According to the catalogs on Classic Fuji the America didn't switch to Rainbow Blue until '78, but the '77 (in Burgundy) had seat tube decal style like yours. It also looks like the '77 headtube paint matched the main frame color, again like yours:

(updated post to show the '77 color choice)

I wonder if the early '78s used the new color but the older motif. Does your serial number indicate an early model year '78 build?

In any case, beautiful bike!

Tom

Last edited by bike_tom; 04-18-23 at 03:50 PM. Reason: updated image to include color choice
Old 04-18-23, 02:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
I've got a clapped out '76 America that I just can't see fixing (lack of time and funds.)

Blue was available as early as '76 but it came with a double crank and 27" wheels.

Old 04-18-23, 04:12 PM
r0ckh0und 

Originally Posted by bike_tom
That's interesting. According to the catalogs on Classic Fuji the America didn't switch to Rainbow Blue until '78, but the '77 (in Burgundy) had seat tube decal style like yours. It also looks like the '77 headtube paint matched the main frame color, again like yours:

(updated post to show the '77 color choice)

I wonder if the early '78s used the new color but the older motif. Does your serial number indicate an early model year '78 build?

In any case, beautiful bike!

Tom
Serial #78C50061 If I'm reading correctly this indicates 78 as the year and March as the month. Not sure how many frames they typically produced in a month but 50,061 seems high to me. Perhaps this number indicates total frames produced by the company in a given month or maybe YTD? In my defense I just had some laser treatment done on my good eye.

Old 04-18-23, 10:19 PM
TLaurent 

Bikes: CBT Italia, 73 Peugeot, Gary Fisher Joshua, John Deere custom hybrid, K2 EasyRider, Yakota tandem, Pinarello Montello, Colnago Mexico, Gitane Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 23 Posts
Great find! The Fuji America was produced starting in 1975 and considered one of the top touring bikes in it’s day. The frame is cromoly steel, has Suntour drop outs, and chrome fork. Originally came with a Tange Falcon headset and Sugino bottom bracket + chain ring and Fuji branded crank. Bullet proof Suntour derailleurs and bar end shifters and Gran Compe center pull brakes shows that it was a upper tier bike for Fuji. It still holds up as a comfortable ride and is worthy of the touring bling.

I bought a Victory Blue frameset two years ago and have mostly built it to spec. The challenge that I have is the rear spacing is narrow (120mm) and I don’t wish to cold set the frame so it’s a good flat lander tourer. I installed VO hammered fenders plus a gold waxed chain to match gold in the decals. These are keepers!
Likes For TLaurent:
Old 04-22-23, 12:49 PM
r0ckh0und 

Making a little progress with the clean up. Appears that someone tried to remove the non drive crank arm without the proper tool. Orientation on the rings were scrambled so we have that back in order.

Old 04-22-23, 01:54 PM
r0ckh0und 

Tange Falcon headset,........when I came up for air I had 50 loose balls. I hope that's all of them......

Old 04-22-23, 06:10 PM
r0ckh0und 

Replaced the shift cables. Going to look for a set of Dia Compe levers before doing anything with the bar set up. I had a new set of wheels with Origin 8 hubs and Sun rims so I'm using those until I have a chance to go through the original wheels. Despite the cool temperatures I took a spin around the neighborhood and it fits me well for a 57cm

Likes For r0ckh0und: