Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Sleep apnea GDMBR

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-23, 12:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I wouldn't use it in a bike race.
IME sleep apnea effects you the longer you sleep hence my sleep two hours or so when you need it if you're racing.
I don't understand what the OP doesn't get. His OP is premised on riding the GDMBR, which passes through many remote areas of the Rockies. etc. for long stretches at a time. Assuming he's sincerely looking for informed opinions, he SHOU be telling us things like how often he needs to use his machine, is there a battery option, how often the battery needs to be recharge, how durable the equipment is (the GD route often eats derailleurs for breakfast) and how far he guestimates he will be riding each day. Instead, he has shown less interest in his own thread than other like myself who are willing to help sincere members. More and more of that (and "fake" threads) than there used to be here. Shame.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-13-23, 07:14 PM
nmevan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I don't understand what the OP doesn't get. His OP is premised on riding the GDMBR, which passes through many remote areas of the Rockies. etc. for long stretches at a time. Assuming he's sincerely looking for informed opinions, he SHOU be telling us things like how often he needs to use his machine, is there a battery option, how often the battery needs to be recharge, how durable the equipment is (the GD route often eats derailleurs for breakfast) and how far he guestimates he will be riding each day. Instead, he has shown less interest in his own thread than other like myself who are willing to help sincere members. More and more of that (and "fake" threads) than there used to be here. Shame.
this is what I asked "Has anyone ridden a multi day, camping, bike tour with sleep apneawhile using their CPAP machine."

I don't need to know that there are high mountains, or long stretches between electricity, or that expensive medical machines are delicate, or any of the other "stuff" that people have offered. All those things are painfully obvious and not worthy of mentioning. Can you actually imagine someone thinking about riding the GDMBR and knowing absolutely nothing about it? That person does not exist.

Again....this is what I asked in the original post... "Has anyone ridden a multi day, camping, bike tour with sleep apneawhile using their CPAP machine."

​​​​​​​If you haven't done it, then thanks anyway, I'm not interested in hearing other information you think I might need...
Old 06-14-23, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by nmevan
this is what I asked "Has anyone ridden a multi day, camping, bike tour with sleep apneawhile using their CPAP machine."

I don't need to know that there are high mountains, or long stretches between electricity, or that expensive medical machines are delicate, or any of the other "stuff" that people have offered. All those things are painfully obvious and not worthy of mentioning. Can you actually imagine someone thinking about riding the GDMBR and knowing absolutely nothing about it? That person does not exist.

Again....this is what I asked in the original post... "Has anyone ridden a multi day, camping, bike tour with sleep apneawhile using their CPAP machine."

If you haven't done it, then thanks anyway, I'm not interested in hearing other information you think I might need...
Well… Based on the thread title, it was logical to assume you were looking for something more. Don’t understand how someone saying “Yes. I did a week long credit card tour, staying in hotels, with a CPAP machine.” would be of any appreciable assistance in the context of the GDMBR. Or “Yes. I did a supported, camping ride that had outlets for people who needed CPAP machines.” (I saw such a thing advertised, and at least one person asked about such thing on the Cycle Oregon forum.) The GDMBR presents challenges whenever you are talking about something that might require power. And if it makes noise, you have the bear issue.

And you would be surprised at what exists. On a different forum there was a person who thought ACA’s Trans Am route was entirely on trails. Another person asked about doing the Great Divide on a trike because he had no idea of the route conditions.
Old 06-14-23, 01:46 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
If you've already resolved the electricity issue, you might post your solution, maybe a thread in Touring. I've been on supported tours where a couple of participants had CPAPS but there was somewhere to plug in. Obviously not really relevant to your situation but maybe as close as you'll get.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-14-23, 01:49 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I have sleep apnea and a CPAP and after 4 years with the machine I can't really sleep without it. .
Can you explain how bad your apnea was before getting the machine?
How did you know you had apnea? Can you tell while you're sleeping?
Old 06-15-23, 12:44 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Can you explain how bad your apnea was before getting the machine?
How did you know you had apnea? Can you tell while you're sleeping?
I have severe sleep apnea (98 time an hour)
I was at the Syracuse VA hospital trying to find the cause of some other issues that I shouldn't have and some doc put me in for a sleep study and here we are. My wife always complained that I snored a lot and she thought I stopped breathing but it happens so often that she wasn't sure. now I have a machine with a full mask and what seems like 100psi being blown into my mouth and lungs.

It's worth getting checked out for it if you are tired all the time, fatigue quickly, start getting high blood pressure and stuff like that. For me it was pretty hard to learn to sleep with a mask on more so since I slept on my stomach but it is what is.
Old 06-15-23, 04:38 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I have severe sleep apnea (98 time an hour)
I was at the Syracuse VA hospital trying to find the cause of some other issues that I shouldn't have and some doc put me in for a sleep study and here we are. My wife always complained that I snored a lot and she thought I stopped breathing but it happens so often that she wasn't sure. now I have a machine with a full mask and what seems like 100psi being blown into my mouth and lungs.

It's worth getting checked out for it if you are tired all the time, fatigue quickly, start getting high blood pressure and stuff like that. For me it was pretty hard to learn to sleep with a mask on more so since I slept on my stomach but it is what is.
Did you know you had apnea? Did you keep waking up repeatedly?
Did you know you were stopping breathing 98x an hour?
Old 06-15-23, 01:01 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
A CPAP is not like a pacemaker that needs to be used every day. You may not sleep as well without it but you will not damage your health and your doctor can probably confirm this.

snip . . .
Originally Posted by indyfabz
After reading your medical advice in the prostate cancer thread, I think we should wait for the OP to provide details on his particular condition. Ok, doc?
I'm no expert either and it is good advice for the OP to talk to one. That said, I did suffer from sleep apnea for a few years (it can get better for a variety of reasons). I was told exactly what that poster wrote by my experts which is that you can simply forgo using one. You likely won't sleep as well which is a health problem but you can forgo it. I ditched it on my multi day tours back when I was using it since the battery issue is such a PITA.