Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walk of shame!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-23, 07:12 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I think that's proceeded by the "call of shame" - calling your wife to pick you up because you can't repair your flat tire. The "walk of shame" happens after she laughs, says "no", and hangs up the phone.
this is where adult children w/ a driver's license, who haven't yet moved out, really earn their keep
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-28-23, 07:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this is where adult children w/ a driver's license, who haven't yet moved out, really earn their keep
Yes!! I would definitely call my kid before my wife.
Old 06-28-23, 07:44 PM
tpuglisi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think there's a walk of shame, unless you've done something shameful of course. Sometimes you have to walk your bike up a hill, for whatever reason, and that's fine.
Old 06-28-23, 07:51 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I know a couple of very nice girls from Dubai that are happy to come help you out if you have a mechanical issue.
"Mechanical issue" ... now, that's a euphemism that I can appreciate: 'Not tonight dear; I have a mechanical issue.'
Likes For badger1:
Old 06-28-23, 08:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve seen photos​. the problem with a loaded bike is that you can’t put it over your shoulder. You have to really lean into it. Pedal strike on the shins is another problem. (Ask me how I know.) And your legs don’t have gears.

When I stayed in Frostburg, MD while riding the GAP, the long ramp to the camping area was super steep. It looked like 45 degrees. I felt like my leg muscles were going to snap. The next morning I carried the bags down first and then went back up for the bike.
I wasn't suggesting it would work with a loaded tourer. I never carried as much stuff as you have and I wouldn't try to carry mine. I did have a nice Blackburn rack on the back which made a convenient handle for letting the bike down a flight of stairs.
Old 06-28-23, 09:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
I did ‘the walk’ last summer on a ‘new to me’ stretch of road climbing a mountainside to a cell tower. After a mile of 15-18% it kicked up to 20% and I walked. Only walked about a tenth of a mile up until it ‘leveled-off’ and went back to 15%. rode until it kicked back to 20 and I said f it. No shame in walking if the hill is kicking you in the teeth.

When I got down to the bottom, I understood why the road was blocked off, but the tarmac was so pristine!

Old 06-29-23, 06:34 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Usually, if you’re riding a loaded bike. Pushing a loaded bike up a steep hill is very hard for a couple of reasons.
It's funny you say that.
My bike isn't even loaded, but as I was pushing it up the 15%,
I was thinking to myself that this is also a lot of work and tiring.
But, I refused to stop and stand there, so I kept walking.
Old 06-29-23, 06:37 AM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I did ‘the walk’ last summer on a ‘new to me’ stretch of road climbing a mountainside to a cell tower. After a mile of 15-18% it kicked up to 20% and I walked. Only walked about a tenth of a mile up until it ‘leveled-off’ and went back to 15%. rode until it kicked back to 20 and I said f it. No shame in walking if the hill is kicking you in the teeth.

When I got down to the bottom, I understood why the road was blocked off, but the tarmac was so pristine!
15% for a mile sounds like a brutal hell on earth. Good for you.
An 8 mile ride with 15% hills is harder than a 100 mile ride on a cute little bike path for kids and grannies

Last edited by grantelmwood; 06-29-23 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For grantelmwood:
Old 06-29-23, 07:24 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Walking up hills is as good for exercise as riding a bicycle. If I am not feeling up for it I hop off my bike and walk up steep hills all the time, especially on long rides where I want to keep my energy up. Olympic runners in training will often stop running when they get to a hill and walk up it as both activities can keep the heart rate the same. 80%+ of an olympic athletes training is kept at a lower heart-rate and effort, if they max out their effort every day then they are actually making no progress or even going backwards.

I had the typical close-minded cyclist stop and ask me why I was walking my bike up a steep hill, they thought the only reason for it was something must be wrong, but the only thing wrong is their lack of education. When you see a really serious and well-educated cyclist, they will be taking it easy most days you see them riding.
Old 06-29-23, 08:12 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
An 8 mile ride with 15% hills is harder than a 100 mile ride on a cute little bike path for kids and grannies
Agreed. I was in Nijmegen a few weeks ago and did a 70 mile ride, on a Dutch-style upright bike. I don't think I shifted the 7-speed internal hub below 5th gear. Contrast to a couple loops around here where stalling and falling is a real possibility, that was ezpz. The Nijmegen ride was enjoyable, pretty, I'd even say lovely, but not a great workout.
Old 06-29-23, 08:17 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
You sure about that? For a fit athlete with an appropriately geared bicycle, hills shouldn't be too inherently difficult. Unless you are under-geared, one's effort is independent of the terrain in which they ride.

Granted, my perspective is from a modern, competitive cyclist of 15+ years using modern technology (power meters, electronic shifting etc).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-29-23, 08:19 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I can't argue that hills are inherently harder - that's just physics. I just think that saying an 8 mile hilly ride is harder than a 100 mile flat ride is a bit of an exaggeration.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 06-29-23, 08:24 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I can't argue that hills are inherently harder - that's just physics. I just think that saying an 8 mile hilly ride is harder than a 100 mile flat ride is a bit of an exaggeration.
Just a weeee bit of an exaggeration.

Hills can be harder - but if I climb at 250w, or ride the flats at 250w - same effort.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 06-29-23, 08:26 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6973 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
I've ridden with kids and grannies who, unlike you, have no difficulty going further than eight miles.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 06-29-23, 08:27 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by beng1
Walking up hills is as good for exercise as riding a bicycle. If I am not feeling up for it I hop off my bike and walk up steep hills all the time, especially on long rides where I want to keep my energy up. Olympic runners in training will often stop running when they get to a hill and walk up it as both activities can keep the heart rate the same. 80%+ of an olympic athletes training is kept at a lower heart-rate and effort, if they max out their effort every day then they are actually making no progress or even going backwards.

I had the typical close-minded cyclist stop and ask me why I was walking my bike up a steep hill, they thought the only reason for it was something must be wrong, but the only thing wrong is their lack of education. When you see a really serious and well-educated cyclist, they will be taking it easy most days you see them riding.
When I see really serious/well educated cyclists - they take it easy by doing flat rides.

When I see really serious/well educated cyclist that are also very fit - they can climb, on the bike, at what is an easy pace for them.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 06-29-23, 08:32 AM
big john

So a guy has empathy and asks if you are OK because he was a nice person, and you respond by insulting and denigrating him on a public forum.
Old 06-29-23, 08:45 AM
big john

[QUOTE=grantelmwood;22938377]15% for a mile sounds like a brutal hell on earth. Good for you.
An 8 mile ride with 15% hills is harder than a 100 mile ride on a cute little bike path for kids and grannies[/QUOTE ]
Have you ever done a century? A 15% grade is tough for many of us, no doubt. But a fit climber will have no trouble with it if that climber is not exhausted.

There is a climb to Mount Baldy that we do. There is over 5000 feet of climbing to get to the Village, about 25 miles, depending on the route. After that there is a 4 mile section which gains 2000 feet with extended 15% grades. I have climbed that section without stopping on 34x29 low gear, and I'm old and over 200 pounds. I have stopped to rest on it other days.

When the Tour of California went up there, the racers had something like 12,000 feet of climbing in their legs before the steep part. We rode up to watch them fly up it.
When the Tour went up Balcom Canyon, there was a short section of 23%. Here, these guys were on Rock Racing but not on the race team. They rode the course as part of the caravan.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-29-23, 08:51 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
This thread needs a bunch of Rule 5!
Old 06-29-23, 09:20 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
This thread needs a bunch of Rule 5!
Since that seems to be a manly man list of rules... rule #7 can be adjusted/exceptions can be made for the ladies. Tube tops, shorter shorts are acceptable.
Old 06-29-23, 09:36 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Since that seems to be a manly man list of rules... rule #7 can be adjusted/exceptions can be made for the ladies. Tube tops, shorter shorts are acceptable.
Sugar shorts and tri tops for the ladies. Said in my most appreciative sexist tone.
Old 06-29-23, 10:07 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Do a 100 mile ride and then get back to us with your comparison. Also be aware that flat terrain doesn't necessarily mean riding slowly.
Old 06-29-23, 10:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
Sure, and running up a few flights of stairs is harder than running a marathon.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-29-23, 10:14 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
Do a 100 mile ride and then get back to us with your comparison. Also be aware that flat terrain doesn't necessarily mean riding slowly.
Flat terrain, a little headwind, and chasing faster riders is harder for me than doing long climbs at my own pace.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-29-23, 11:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Your attempts at insulting people are impotent.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-29-23, 11:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts

Seems to me the activity is cycling. If you have to walk up hills "all the time" I'd suggest changing your route, your gearing or get a motor. Climbing is just another skill to develop and conquering/ surviving a locally notorious climb always adds a little something to a ride.
Likes For shelbyfv:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.