Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Missing spindle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Missing spindle

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 06:48 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Missing spindle

I spent a couple of hours cleaning up the shop and looking for a NOS 118mm Sugino spindle that I'm going to need when doing some work for a friend sometime after Christmas. It was in a quart-size ziplock bag full of other assorted spindles. I didn't find the main bag, but I did find a smaller bag containing only two spindles, one of which was, fortunately, the one I wanted. That was a stroke of luck! I made a mental note to put someplace where I wouldn't forget about it.

That was the day before yesterday. I went back into the shop today to put the spindle in a box with some other parts I'm planning to use on the same project.. But I now have no idea where the Sugino spindle could be. I I tore my hair a little bit and retraced my steps from Sunday as best I could, to no avail.

I am a little bit frustrated now. My guess is that it has somehow made its way into someone else's shop. If anyone sees the damn thing, let me know, okay?

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 12-12-23 at 06:49 PM. Reason: I prefer not to say
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-12-23, 06:56 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

such "disappearances" began happening to me over fifteen year in the rearview mirror

quickly learned it be healthier to laugh than to berate oneself

eventually of course all will "disappear"

-----
Old 12-12-23, 07:13 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
This is a common issue in my workspace as well. Put it in a space where it won't be lost forever and..........it's gone forever. Occasionally I discover such items and wonder which bike it belongs to and if I still have that bike.

Likes For r0ckh0und:
Old 12-12-23, 07:22 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
This is a common issue in my workspace as well. Put it in a space where it won't be lost forever and..........it's gone forever. Occasionally I discover such items and wonder which bike it belongs to and if I still have that bike.
-----

famous last words -

"...this is important...i don't want to lose it...i'll put it in a special spot so i won't forget it..."

-----
Old 12-12-23, 07:29 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
My ‘gone forever’ was that little adjuster barrel for the back of the center pull brake bridge on a Raleigh Super Course.

One day I heard about how they cost a pretty penny because they are hard to find, and I thought, “Hey, I have one of those.” And went out to find it and I couldn’t. Not on the bike. I took it off to keep somewhere safe so I wouldn’t lose it. Hmmm.

Now I know why they are rare and cost a pretty penny.
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 12-12-23, 07:45 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,714 Times in 2,613 Posts
I dropped one part of a three-part tool on my basement floor last month, and it still hasn’t shown up. Unfortunately the other two parts won’t work without it, and I can only buy the whole thing, not the lost part. I keep thinking it’ll show up at some point, but no go so far. I’m worried I dropped it in the trash can, since emptied. Hmm.
Old 12-12-23, 08:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
Occasionally I discover such items and wonder which bike it belongs to and if I still have that bike.
Not necessarily forever. Go to great effort and expense to source a replacement, and it'll turn up the next day.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-12-23, 08:52 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 139 Posts
I know where it is...it's right with the missing link for my brand new KMC chain. The one I set "right there" after sizing the chain. I refuse to return the project to the bicycle stand to finish the last job until I find that confounded link!
Old 12-12-23, 09:17 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
NOS 118mm Sugino spindle, lost to the garage gremlin. Its probably right next to the 5SB spindle ya lost two years ago...

RATS! - Keep Looking Stud!

Old 12-12-23, 10:19 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
My guess is that it has somehow made its way into someone else's shop.
Maybe it's in my shop. I keep finding things I have no memory of buying. We were talking about Boehm spindles somewhere (probably here) and I said it was a Holy Grail item for me, still hoping to find one. Then a week later I found one in my box of BB parts. Musta bought it on ebay some years ago, and then not inventoried my cottered spindles for long enough for all memory of it to be wiped clean.

I'm pretty sure I have an early '70s Sugino Mighty spindle for ya if you're ready to give up on finding yours. Only problem is, it's engraved with "this was stolen from ____ _______" (original owner's name) and his phone number.

I called the number in about 2015 and he answered, said that bike was stolen something like 40 years before. (Who keeps one land line for 40+ years??) I offered to return it, but he said no, keep it, he doesn't ride anymore. I frenchified the parts on it (the frame is French) so the Sugino is surplus. Free to you (Jon) if you can use it, and if you don't worry about the bad karma of riding a stolen spindle.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 12-12-23, 10:30 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
(Who keeps one land line for 40+ years??).............35 and holding

Likes For r0ckh0und:
Old 12-12-23, 11:54 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
You'll find it in the last place you look.
Old 12-13-23, 06:50 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
I know where it is...it's right with the missing link for my brand new KMC chain. The one I set "right there" after sizing the chain. I refuse to return the project to the bicycle stand to finish the last job until I find that confounded link!
I's a relief to finally hear from someone who doesn't have the words "senior member" under their name.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-13-23, 07:13 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Listen up, guys, your stuff is probably hiding with my ziploc bag of old mismatched barcon shifters and the barrel adjuster from one of my early Dura Ace brake calipers. I'll be sure to return everything when it turns up.
Old 12-13-23, 07:40 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
My ‘gone forever’ was that little adjuster barrel for the back of the center pull brake bridge on a Raleigh Super Course.
I've used the adjusters from old Simplex shift levers for that:
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-13-23, 07:41 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
(Who keeps one land line for 40+ years??) My mother-in-law had the same land line for over 50 years. She just moved to senior living and my brother-in-law set up her new phone to have the same number. He got her one of the Verizon boxes that she can plug her old AT&T desk-top phone into, so she can feel right at home. It has touch tone instead of a rotary dial, so it's not completely old school, but it does have the ringer that actually has bells inside.
Old 12-13-23, 11:22 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
You usually find such things when you're looking for something else. So the key is - start on something else that involves a part/tool/etc you can't find. While you're looking for THAT item, the spindle will show up.

Sneaking up on 30 years for my land-line number. The number in question above isn't necessarily a land-line now, just because it was 40 years ago.

Overall, this thread makes me feel MUCH better about my own part / component "inventory".
Likes For madpogue:
Old 12-13-23, 05:48 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
I was deep cleaning a Campy Nuovo Tipo QR skewer and put the 3mm circlip carefully on my work bench between the arms of some tweezers.
Took the fully disassembled parts through to the kitchen for degreasing / wire brushing / etc.
Came back and circlip is gone, luckily I have some generic new ones, but really annoyed with myself.

A week later vacuuming the hall I spotted it 6 inches before it would have gone into the hoover

I have some experience disassembling and repairing accordions, for which I use several 100cc screw top glass jars to store bits.
Slightly strangely a typical accordion has over a thousand parts: my 1959 Hohner Lucia IV P has 392 reeds for example.
It also weights about the same as a bike: 19.1 lbs
I've never lost an accordion part yet - I always put the bits in bottles.