Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Classic Bike Rebuild - Shop advice needed

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-11, 07:31 PM
8Lives

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a custom 1985 Rob Roberson frame with an almost complete C-Record group. Hasn't been ridden in 20 years and it is time to resurrect it. Rob was a frame builder in San Diego in the mid-80's. He now works for Joe Bell, who also did the original "rad red" paint job. Plan is to strip it and have Joe/Rob repaint it, source missing parts and build it back up to ridable, or for hanging in my office :-).

Any good bay area vintage bike mechanics anyone can reco? Any other resources that can help?

thanks!
Old 06-28-11, 08:37 PM
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the south Bay, so these may be a little far for you.

Try George Slough at Slough's Bike Shop in San Jose or Dave Prion at The Bicycle Outfitter in Los Altos. Sadly, Shaw's Lightweight Cycles in Santa Clara is closed. Terry and Jerry would've been able to help you out, I'm sure.

SteveE
Old 06-29-11, 11:24 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 2,557 Times in 1,069 Posts
Steve Howard, owner of Livermore Cyclery (go to the one in Livermore, not the one in Dublin). Top drawer shop and service, and Steve loves C&V stuff.

Chuck Tyler, owner of Dublin Cyclery. Another top-drawer experience. He's a C&V fan, too.

Steve and Chuck are both incredibly knowledgable and incredibly pleasant to deal with. You will not go wrong with either one.

Perhaps a quarter-notch down, but closer to you, is Matt Sharp and the crew at Sharp Bicycles in Lafayette. Good people, they also will know their way around your machine. Sharp's is also walking distance from the Lafayette BART station, if that helps.
Old 06-29-11, 06:26 PM
8Lives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Steve Howard, owner of Livermore Cyclery (go to the one in Livermore, not the one in Dublin). Top drawer shop and service, and Steve loves C&V stuff.

Chuck Tyler, owner of Dublin Cyclery. Another top-drawer experience. He's a C&V fan, too.

Steve and Chuck are both incredibly knowledgable and incredibly pleasant to deal with. You will not go wrong with either one.

Perhaps a quarter-notch down, but closer to you, is Matt Sharp and the crew at Sharp Bicycles in Lafayette. Good people, they also will know their way around your machine. Sharp's is also walking distance from the Lafayette BART station, if that helps.
Thank you both, just what I was looking for! I am very happy with Cyclesports in Oakland - they just built my Parlee. But this calls for someone with a particular passion for C&V.
Old 06-29-11, 11:38 PM
DRietz

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What exactly do you need done by a shop? I'm a mechanic at Eden Bicycles in Castro Valley and have a deep love for classic and vintage bicycles.
Old 06-29-11, 11:45 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
If all you need is to have it stripped of parts, come by my garage and bring a pizza.

S. J. Perelman
Old 06-30-11, 06:38 PM
8Lives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I need is basically 4 parts: 1) Strip it and send out for painting 2) identify what parts need to be hunted down to restore it. 3)help find said parts 4) rebuild

bigbossman - I wish I had the time! Between 60-70 hour work weeks, family and some riding my time to wrench is pretty nonexistant. And I put the "in" in inept, mechanics-wize

DRietz - Deep love is what I am looking for - PM me or I'll shoot an email your way.
Old 06-30-11, 06:48 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Now this gets into philosophical C&V discussion, and I hate to preach and tell people what they should do with their bikes. But, if you have not ridden the bike for 20 years, I would suggest a good cleanup, wax, re-grease all the moving parts. Then ride it a bit and see how you like it. There are all kinds of pitfalls in having the frame re-painted. As they say, it's original only once. Especially if you rode the frame 20 years ago, even the battle scars will have more meaning to you.

Another problem is that once the frame looks brand new, the older parts will look out of place. Once you ride it, you may decide that you would like to upgrade the drivetrain, add some new braze-ons, etc. All of these are best decided before you start the expensive restoration project. You may also find that the frame is no longer a good fit, etc.
Old 06-30-11, 07:31 PM
8Lives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MetinUz
Now this gets into philosophical C&V discussion, and I hate to preach and tell people what they should do with their bikes. But, if you have not ridden the bike for 20 years, I would suggest a good cleanup, wax, re-grease all the moving parts. Then ride it a bit and see how you like it. There are all kinds of pitfalls in having the frame re-painted. As they say, it's original only once. Especially if you rode the frame 20 years ago, even the battle scars will have more meaning to you.

Another problem is that once the frame looks brand new, the older parts will look out of place. Once you ride it, you may decide that you would like to upgrade the drivetrain, add some new braze-ons, etc. All of these are best decided before you start the expensive restoration project. You may also find that the frame is no longer a good fit, etc.
The drivetrain is C-Record so not sure where I would go with that :-). I get leaving it original, but what I am after is a restoration. And to be clear - I'll ride it occasionally but have two carbon bikes including a Parlee Z5 that weighs 14.09 pounds with pedals, cages, etc. Hard not to take that out for serious riding...and yes I know people do double centuries on 50 year old bikes.

I am just not looking for it to be a regular ride, and I think it is kinda cool that the original painter can still repaint it...
Old 06-30-11, 08:32 PM
MetinUz

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
How about a picture of the bike in question? Sometimes you can restore without a repaint, sometimes the paint is too far gone...
Old 07-01-11, 02:40 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 2,557 Times in 1,069 Posts
Originally Posted by MetinUz
How about a picture of the bike in question? Sometimes you can restore without a repaint, sometimes the paint is too far gone...
. . . and sometimes you just want to change colors. Which is okay, too.