Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 05:57 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
What brand/make bag is that on the Superbe? I like the retro "black doctor's bag" element. I'm in the process of getting a second bag for a project.

Originally Posted by conradpdx
Well my new 3 speed isn't English (though the IGH is and even labeled as made in England still) it's a 1987 Peugeot P20 folder. It's project bike for sure, but here's what I'm starting with.

To make up for tarnishing this thread with the Italian made, French labeled, just barely vintage bike I'll add a few more recent images of my main ride. My 71 Superbe.

If I ever posted photos of it before, the old ones don't include the Dyno hub and lights/pump/though not original tool bag, or B-17. Got a new chainwheel (this one was fixed with a rather large weld) and a Miller 2 bulb headlight waiting for installation currently. At that point I'll re-run the dyno wires.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 03-22-13 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Poor spelling
Old 03-22-13, 08:36 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Well my new 3 speed isn't English (though the IGH is and even labeled as made in England still) it's a 1987 Peugeot P20 folder. It's project bike for sure, but here's what I'm starting with.

To make up for tarnishing this thread with the Italian made, French labeled, just barely vintage bike I'll add a few more recent images of my main ride. My 71 Superbe.

If I ever posted photos of it before, the old ones don't include the Dyno hub and lights/pump/though not original tool bag, or B-17. Got a new chainwheel (this one was fixed with a rather large weld) and a Miller 2 bulb headlight waiting for installation currently. At that point I'll re-run the dyno wires.
I will have to keep an eye out for you when I am back in April... saw a Peugeot l;ike that at a bike swap there and am pretty sure whoever made that probably produced my daughter's Raleigh Saffron as it is an English badged, Italian made non folder.
Old 03-23-13, 04:16 PM
Hieronymous

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conradpdx, the rear rack attachment on your Raleigh looks home made, would you care to show more details? I am having a hard time with mine, it always seems to loosen itself after a few bumps! Thanks.

Last edited by Hieronymous; 03-23-13 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-23-13, 05:08 PM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I just received a set of Kool Stop pads for my 1980 Raleigh Tourist and realized that I had not looked closely enough at the pad holder frames before ordering. I thought for some reason that the frames were open on the end opposite the wheel rotation and that I could simply hammer out the old pads and press fit in the new ones. Of course as it turns out the pad holders completely enclose the existing pads and my plan requires some modification. Can I reasonably expect these holders to do my bidding if I put them in a vise and pry down / open the end tab on the feed in end and then proceed to hammer out the old and hammer in the new pads? I've found a few youtube vids on the pitfalls of adjusting rod brakes but nothing that addresses the issue of installing the pads themselves on the closed version of the pads so I come to the font of all wisdom on English three speeds.

While I have the bike at my mercy I thought to adjust the chain tension as well. What makes for a good measure of proper chain tension on this machine?

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 03-23-13, 08:20 PM
Howard
Chip seal rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was not looking for it, but a Ladies LTD came our way Thursday.Was able to ride it around the before setting the fenders on it for the obligatory picture.
Put new tires on, repacked bearings, and polished the chrome a very small amount, but other than that, this is as found. Yes, I know it still needs work. We're supposed to get snow over the next couple days, so by the time it warms up again, it should be pretty much all set.

P3230123 by 50N40W, on Flickr

What's pretty cool is that it's a 23" frame - I've seen some in small and medium sizes, but this fits our household much better.
Old 03-24-13, 06:04 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Howard
Was not looking for it, but a Ladies LTD came our way Thursday.Was able to ride it around the before setting the fenders on it for the obligatory picture.
Put new tires on, repacked bearings, and polished the chrome a very small amount, but other than that, this is as found. Yes, I know it still needs work. We're supposed to get snow over the next couple days, so by the time it warms up again, it should be pretty much all set.

P3230123 by 50N40W, on Flickr

What's pretty cool is that it's a 23" frame - I've seen some in small and medium sizes, but this fits our household much better.
That is a rare one in the step through! Good find, I look for those on the opposite end of the spectrum, my bride is 5' and wee bit, so 17" frames are about as large as we can go.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-24-13, 01:55 PM
LDB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be adding a few more photos in a day or two. For now I only have this one photo. This was my dad's bike and now mine. It's (I believe) a late 50's Hercules 3 speed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130319_102312.jpg (103.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 03-24-13, 09:39 PM
conradpdx

Bikes: 70"s Raleigh Superbe, 1959 Murray Vanguard Middle weigh cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hieronymous -the rear mount on my bike is stock as far as I can tell (or at least it's the same as the step though Sports Delux that I bought for the lights/dynos) from the same year, you're probably thinking that it's not because I have a frame lock mounted on the back of the seat stays.

As for your rack coming loose, perhaps try adding a lock washer to the nut side of the assembly....That should fix that nicely.

Sir Mike - the bag is a vintage/ perhaps antique German bike bag which my wife bought me for a birthday. I like it a lot, it's just big enough for a tube patch kit, screw driver, small adjustable wrench and a Kryponite bike cable which I use with the above mentioned lock for securing my bike and seat. Though it gets tight with all that in it, I've personally always thought the stock Raleigh bags look a little clumsy. Plus I don't currently have one (the last of the items I need to get this bike stock))- still trying to decide on if I should go back to a B-72 I've got, I do like the honey 17 a lot.)

and 65'r- just pm me when you get to town, a little meet up at HUB, the Cult, or elsewhere wouldn't be out of the question. I'm always looking for a good excuse for a ride, a brew, and good conversation. I'm in SE so really anywhere is possible (though I'd prefer not up in the West hills)...

Last edited by conradpdx; 03-24-13 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-25-13, 08:04 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
I've been repairing a 1958 Phillips (pre-Raleigh) for a friend of mine. The rims were scarred and bent so I replaced them with Sun CR-18s. The rear hub is an SW. We'll see how long that lasts... anyway, has anyone noticed the obscene prices for pedals on eBay?? I needed a right side- the one on the bike had a bent spindle. Before laying down $80.00 for a pair of ebay specials, I decided to try a local bike shop that is one of those used/donation/charity places. We are blessed that we have a good number of these shops in the Twin Cities. I found the pedal I needed for $2.50...

So the Phillips lives again; I found some NOS John Bull brake pads and applied a lot of Kroil to the cables. The only thing that is bugging me is the oiler for the crank. Its missing and in its stead is a woodscrew... I'd be fine if I could find a machine screw with the right thread- any thoughts??
Old 03-25-13, 08:43 PM
conradpdx

Bikes: 70"s Raleigh Superbe, 1959 Murray Vanguard Middle weigh cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Salubrious
I've been repairing a 1958 Phillips (pre-Raleigh) for a friend of mine. The rims were scarred and bent so I replaced them with Sun CR-18s. The rear hub is an SW. We'll see how long that lasts... anyway, has anyone noticed the obscene prices for pedals on eBay?? I needed a right side- the one on the bike had a bent spindle. Before laying down $80.00 for a pair of ebay specials, I decided to try a local bike shop that is one of those used/donation/charity places. We are blessed that we have a good number of these shops in the Twin Cities. I found the pedal I needed for $2.50...

So the Phillips lives again; I found some NOS John Bull brake pads and applied a lot of Kroil to the cables. The only thing that is bugging me is the oiler for the crank. Its missing and in its stead is a woodscrew... I'd be fine if I could find a machine screw with the right thread- any thoughts??
Not trying to be the bringer of bad news but...

I'm willing to bet the original threads on the oiler were damaged when the wood screw was used as a replacement. Though I'm the first to admit that I could be wrong as well. But there is a good chance of it.

If it is, it's probably not worth it to find - or have manufactured a tap for it.
Old 03-25-13, 09:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

and 65'r- just pm me when you get to town, a little meet up at HUB, the Cult, or elsewhere wouldn't be out of the question. I'm always looking for a good excuse for a ride, a brew, and good conversation. I'm in SE so really anywhere is possible (though I'd prefer not up in the West hills)...
I think we know a bunch of the same people... Shawn G and I tend to hit Velocult on a fairly frequent basis and I always enjoy talking with Sky about obscure bike stuff.
Old 03-26-13, 03:36 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by erileykc
I just received a set of Kool Stop pads for my 1980 Raleigh Tourist and realized that I had not looked closely enough at the pad holder frames before ordering. I thought for some reason that the frames were open on the end opposite the wheel rotation and that I could simply hammer out the old pads and press fit in the new ones. Of course as it turns out the pad holders completely enclose the existing pads and my plan requires some modification. Can I reasonably expect these holders to do my bidding if I put them in a vise and pry down / open the end tab on the feed in end and then proceed to hammer out the old and hammer in the new pads? I've found a few youtube vids on the pitfalls of adjusting rod brakes but nothing that addresses the issue of installing the pads themselves on the closed version of the pads so I come to the font of all wisdom on English three speeds.

While I have the bike at my mercy I thought to adjust the chain tension as well. What makes for a good measure of proper chain tension on this machine?

Thanks for any suggestions
They make full replacement Kool Stop pads that fit the Roadster Brakes? I have also done the pry the end loose and install new pads before, but never on a roller brake bike.

Chain should deflect some...not much, actually adjusting the chain on a Roadster is pretty easy, you have the adjusters at the rear.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 03-26-13 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-26-13, 09:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Not trying to be the bringer of bad news but...

I'm willing to bet the original threads on the oiler were damaged when the wood screw was used as a replacement. Though I'm the first to admit that I could be wrong as well. But there is a good chance of it.

If it is, it's probably not worth it to find - or have manufactured a tap for it.
Perhaps one of these could be used?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-caps/=m1p2rv
Old 03-26-13, 11:55 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Sweet- thanks!
Old 03-26-13, 01:30 PM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
picking this old gal up tonight, hopefully she is complete the pictures are pretty bad, the seller wanted to throw in all 3 bikes for more, i only want the raleigh..
Old 03-26-13, 02:37 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GordoTrek
picking this old gal up tonight, hopefully she is complete the pictures are pretty bad, the seller wanted to throw in all 3 bikes for more, i only want the raleigh..
That looks very interesting, Gordo. Rod brakes, full-sized man's frame. Take the other two bikes to cinch the deal if you need to, and donate them.
I will look forward to seeing clearer pics soon.
Old 03-26-13, 03:28 PM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
These are what I bought from bike parts central https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3276 . I'll know tomorrow how good a fit they turn out to be. Glad that you've successfully done the pry and pound technique on the brake holders. The one video I found on youtube showed the open end version of the frames so I was a bit anxious about damaging the metal brake pad frames beyond use by folding open the ends. It'll be a few weeks before I get back to the bike to see if the kool stops make the rod brakes act a bit more brakes rather than slo mo bike decelerators. Thanks for news.

Originally Posted by wahoonc
They make full replacement Kool Stop pads that fit the Roadster Brakes? I have also done the pry the end loose and install new pads before, but never on a roller brake bike.

Chain should deflect some...not much, actually adjusting the chain on a Roadster is pretty easy, you have the adjusters at the rear.

Aaron
Old 03-26-13, 03:48 PM
LDB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple more shots I took.
Attached Images
20130325_172857.jpg (104.6 KB, 60 views)
20130325_173243.jpg (95.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-26-13, 04:10 PM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I picked up the Raleigh... 40 bucks... everything is there... pics to come

pics as promised

https://imgur.com/a/XhdyQ

Last edited by GordoTrek; 03-26-13 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-26-13, 05:52 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
The 1965 Dawn rod and drum is back on the road. I am still awaiting warmer weather to paint and install the chain case.

Old 03-26-13, 05:58 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by GordoTrek
I picked up the Raleigh... 40 bucks... everything is there... pics to come

pics as promised
Just needs some of that special spit to get it polished right up.
Old 03-26-13, 07:06 PM
PatrickZ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
The 1965 Dawn rod and drum is back on the road. I am still awaiting warmer weather to paint and install the chain case.

Beautiful bike. And I enjoy your blog.
Old 03-26-13, 07:17 PM
debit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking very fine, Sir Mike!
Old 03-27-13, 04:25 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by erileykc
These are what I bought from bike parts central https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=3276 . I'll know tomorrow how good a fit they turn out to be. Glad that you've successfully done the pry and pound technique on the brake holders. The one video I found on youtube showed the open end version of the frames so I was a bit anxious about damaging the metal brake pad frames beyond use by folding open the ends. It'll be a few weeks before I get back to the bike to see if the kool stops make the rod brakes act a bit more brakes rather than slo mo bike decelerators. Thanks for news.
Open the rearward facing end, that way if it happens to snap off the pads will still stay in the holders by braking force.... been there done that.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 03-27-13, 02:48 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Nice! And 2 thumbs up on the blog - especially your "paint tips"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.