Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 08:16 AM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 89 Posts
I had a chance at a white Twenty like that for $125...very nice condition. I passed on it, though, and I'm still kicking myself over it.
Old 06-02-15, 10:35 AM
forestine

Bikes: 2008 Electra Huli Huli, 1973 Eatons Glider, 1979 Sekine mixte, 197? Supercycle rustbucket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
It will fit. The Glider should have a plain washer in place of the headlamp mount. Just swap em. nlerner's bike looks like it has a washer on top of the lamp mount, but mostly, Raleighs I've seen have the locking nut directly on the lamp mount.
Excellent. I just got new bearings for the headset so I'll do all that at the same time.
Old 06-03-15, 07:41 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
See the first three posts in this thread.
God how I love a succinct answer! ;v)
Old 06-03-15, 08:35 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
@dweenk - that's what I figured.

Ive vey been telling myself that I should ride to the gym. Beats traffic & less than 2 miles away. HoweverI worry about it getting stolen. I finally decided to ride Prince Phillip - figured nobody would want to steal a 60 y/o three speed that's all faded. I think Phillip will officially be my beater bike.
Agree with dweenk; that's too nice for using as a "beater"...

I took the men's example of this matched pair of Gold Edition '69 Sports to the beach for our annual family gathering this year. Left it all around everywhere unlocked... outside the head, boardwalk, gift shop etc. and it didn't "walk away". I have $50 in the bike as it sits; another forum member who specializes in steel road bikes and from whom I purchased the pair had already gone thru the mechanicals and put tires/pads on it. [K-40's & generics]

Hub got better and better over the ten days as it "limbered up"!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GEDC1269.jpg (103.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 06-03-15, 11:59 PM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@PalmettoUpstate - Nice color in that bike. Almost iridescent looking.
Old 06-04-15, 12:27 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Went to the biker bar tonight on my badazz Raleigh twenty full dresser. Got all rowdy, tried to pick up a chick, but rather she wanted my bike and told me to fly a kite.

Ha-Ha! Love the custom growler baskets!
Old 06-06-15, 07:40 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Save the Date!
Toronto Vintage Bicycle Show 2015
Attached Images
Old 06-06-15, 04:19 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I rode the sofa perched upon the seat post for a couple of days before I went to a real saddle. It's not a Brooks, but a Japanese B-15ish Fujita Belt model. I would like to find a B-66, but this will do for now. Second gear needed a bit of adjustment. It always worked up shifting from first, but sometimes found neutral down shifting from third.

I put a leather backpack that I bought from a college auction for a dollar on it and made a beer run. This one is definitely a keeper. I am going to ride it this summer and then address all of the bearings come late fall.

The only change I may make is a larger cog at the rear.

I am quoting myself here, but I found and bought a Sports with the saddle and seat bag I was seeking. The saddle is a B-72 in good condition, and the seat bag has no logo on it - is in decent condition excepting the strap that I broke. Here are a few pix. The price for the donor bike was less than I would expect to pay for the saddle and bag.

Attached Images
IMG_0445.jpg (107.6 KB, 115 views)
IMG_0447.jpg (110.3 KB, 123 views)
IMG_0448.jpg (107.1 KB, 122 views)
Old 06-06-15, 09:24 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
I finished some three speeds today, including the Popular Special. I found a Hercules Chainguard in One on One's Junkyard.

I finished off these bikes for my brother in law and his wife, a CCM and a Phillips:
Attached Images
DONE.jpg (56.4 KB, 107 views)
InLaw Bikes.jpg (54.9 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-06-15, 11:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Love.

Old 06-07-15, 09:02 PM
bjt0055

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Been enjoying this thread and the great bikes for a while and wanting a 3 speed of my own but couldnt justify another bike until I Picked up this Raleigh Sprite for 25 bucks at a thrift a couple weeks ago. I believe its from 1977. It needed some normal repairs, Everything was parts on hand except a cotter. It was fun to ride on the trail and a different experience in some ways...the other riders just left me alone and tool around the path. When on my road bike I find "hard core" riders much more aggressive in some ways but not on this bike, I suppose a 3 speed looks of minimal threat to them?

So now my problem...I really only want to have 2 "keeper" bikes so Ive been debating on keeping this and selling another bike I have...now thats a "high class" problem if there is one!
Attached Images
18554027526_9e36da5038_z.jpg (100.0 KB, 137 views)
Old 06-07-15, 09:35 PM
Commando

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bjt0055
Been enjoying this thread and the great bikes for a while and wanting a 3 speed of my own but couldnt justify another bike until I Picked up this Raleigh Sprite for 25 bucks at a thrift a couple weeks ago. I believe its from 1977. It needed some normal repairs, Everything was parts on hand except a cotter. It was fun to ride on the trail and a different experience in some ways...the other riders just left me alone and tool around the path. When on my road bike I find "hard core" riders much more aggressive in some ways but not on this bike, I suppose a 3 speed looks of minimal threat to them?

So now my problem...I really only want to have 2 "keeper" bikes so Ive been debating on keeping this and selling another bike I have...now thats a "high class" problem if there is one!

$25! Score! What a beauty, don't see many in that colour so even better. I don't know what other bikes you have, but I'd be hard pressed to move this one on.
Old 06-07-15, 11:16 PM
bjt0055

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Commando
$25! Score! What a beauty, don't see many in that colour so even better. I don't know what other bikes you have, but I'd be hard pressed to move this one on.
Thanks, Score it was...I never see anything decent at the thrifts. I suppose I will break my self imposed 2 bike limit for awhile. Initially, it seemed odd as I knew the Sprites as 27" derailleur type bike. It seems the 3 speed is less common, I assume buyers opted for the derailleur bikes as surely more is better when it come to gears.
Old 06-08-15, 10:14 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
So a few weeks ago a reporter from the Wall Street Journal contacted me and wanted to talk about three speeds for an upcoming story on low-stress, simple bikes. And that story has just gone online! Print version will be tomorrow, Tuesday June 9.
Easy Bikes, No Spandex Required - WSJ
Old 06-08-15, 10:28 AM
PatrickZ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjt0055
Thanks, Score it was...I never see anything decent at the thrifts. I suppose I will break my self imposed 2 bike limit for awhile. Initially, it seemed odd as I knew the Sprites as 27" derailleur type bike. It seems the 3 speed is less common, I assume buyers opted for the derailleur bikes as surely more is better when it come to gears.
I believe the 3 speed Sprite 27s were only offered in 1977 and perhaps 1978. I have one in a 25" frame that would be the last bike to go if I had to purge the fleet.
Old 06-08-15, 12:21 PM
650rcode

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey all, new to the forum but have been using it as a useful resource for a restoration that i am doing. Restoring a '73 Lady Phillips for my wife and have a couple questions.
Are there any brown tires available in the 26 x 1-3/8 size or will i have to step up to the 700c brown delta cruisers?
was putting the rusty sturmey archer 3 speed back together last night and noticed that the clutch spring would not catch on the 10 loose driver bearings that i tired replacing the caged bearings with. put in the old bearings for now but doesn't seem to turn smoothly. will i have to get new caged bearings for the driver or is there another trick to using loose bearings. I did manage to use loose bearings on the opposite end of the hub.

here is a picture from before i started the tear down. wheels will be built around original hubs and frame will be powder coated a shade of cream.
Attached Images
photo(1).jpg (99.8 KB, 107 views)
Old 06-08-15, 01:26 PM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
So a few weeks ago a reporter from the Wall Street Journal contacted me and wanted to talk about three speeds for an upcoming story on low-stress, simple bikes. And that story has just gone online! Print version will be tomorrow, Tuesday June 9.
Easy Bikes, No Spandex Required - WSJ

Too bad they didn't mention anything vintage.
As a 62 year old, I really like this in the comments:
Until about 5 years ago, I rode the same full Campy Schwinn Paramount I bought for $500 in 1974. These days, it's a fully carbon Pinarello Dogma with electronic Campy derailleurs, which cost me a something north of what the article describes as the enthusiasts' price range. I decided that if I was waiting 'till I got to be a "good enough" or "serious enough" rider to warrant that nice a bike, that ship had sailed. I'm 64. This was about enjoying a fabulous bike while I'm still able to do it.
Old 06-08-15, 01:42 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Slash5
As a 62 year old, I really like this in the comments:
Until about 5 years ago, I rode the same full Campy Schwinn Paramount I bought for $500 in 1974. These days, it's a fully carbon Pinarello Dogma with electronic Campy derailleurs, which cost me a something north of what the article describes as the enthusiasts' price range. I decided that if I was waiting 'till I got to be a "good enough" or "serious enough" rider to warrant that nice a bike, that ship had sailed. I'm 64. This was about enjoying a fabulous bike while I'm still able to do it.
What did the guy think his Paramount was, chopped liver?

I have no idea what the guy might have paid for his Dogma, but the first Google Shopping hit suggests well north of $10k. I probably have less than $20k in my entire collection, including all the spare parts in my cabinet and tubs, projects waiting for me to get started on, tools, and all the consumables I've consumed in the past few years. I think it would be rather boring to just have one bike. Or even two.
Old 06-08-15, 02:04 PM
adventurepdx

Originally Posted by Slash5
The whole angle of the story was on modern simple bikes, so that's probably why. I talked with the reporter for maybe a half-hour and did mention vintage three speeds, but as with most news stories that need to fit within a few thousand words, a lot of that gets edited out!
Old 06-08-15, 05:03 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
The whole angle of the story was on modern simple bikes, so that's probably why. I talked with the reporter for maybe a half-hour and did mention vintage three speeds, but as with most news stories that need to fit within a few thousand words, a lot of that gets edited out!
That and the fact that most buyers have no tools or repair knowledge, and they want something new - old is bad. I can't blame them really it's what they've been used to.
Old 06-08-15, 07:17 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Goes to show...If you stick around long enough, you come back into style.
I'm not a dinosaur, I'm cutting edge. Who wooda thunk it.
Old 06-09-15, 11:55 AM
adventurepdx

Originally Posted by 650rcode
Are there any brown tires available in the 26 x 1-3/8 size or will i have to step up to the 700c brown delta cruisers?
I haven't seen any in 26" x 1 3/8", but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It would be nice if Schwalbe started offering their Delta Cruiser in brown for that size!
Old 06-09-15, 12:34 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Kendra makes a brown tire, but they don't seem to be available in the US.

Tyres k133 26'' road 26x1-3/8 - brown KENDA Tyres, Fixed Vintage Tyres
Old 06-11-15, 08:27 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
FYI, nice looking (though expensive?) Raleigh Superbe step-through on Chicago CL:

Very Rare Vintage Raleigh Womens Bike

Old 06-12-15, 03:11 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent article; thanks for the heads-up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.