Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking for the Sportiest Hybrid I can Find

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-24, 06:57 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

I've been having neck problems and I can no longer sit on a bike leaned over with my neck extended without. Lot of pain so I sold my Specialized Allez and bought a more "endurance" type bike. Still too much extension. It's fine for about 15-20 minutes but then I'm very uncomfortable. I like to do 20-30 mile rides so I'm thinking I may just have to go with a hybrid. So here are my requirements:

26 pounds or less
Less than $400 used
​Don't care about disc brakes
since I'm getting a hybrid, eyelets on chain stay and seat stay for a rack would be good
Obviously no front shocks
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 03-24-24, 08:09 PM
RoadWearier

Doesn't GT make department store bikes?
Old 03-25-24, 03:53 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Doesn't GT make department store bikes?
They didn't used to. There was a time when GT made some very fine bicycles.

For your bike, would you be open to putting a flat bar and a riser stem on your current bike? This would require changing the levers, too, but it might be a better option than buying a different bike.
Old 03-27-24, 05:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by squachie
Dunno, Why do you ask? I bought two back n 2011, sold the other for around $850, paid a little over $700 for each. This build is a $1200 build, with literally 14 miles on it. It was built up fresh out of the box. It is geared like a road bike so it does take lung and power to spool out 60 to 80 rpm. Plenty enough room to grow into this bike for the novice. It is a beautiful bike in concours condition. This Gt has stunning fit and finish. 95%+ perfect in every way
Where is the $1200? It is Claris before Claris was a thing (2400) which is one tiny notch above Tourney. The carbon bars and seatpost and decent pedals will up the price a little bit but the groupset is lower end 8 speed stuff? It is a nice looking bike and clean but 1200 is steep for an older 8 speed aluminum hybrid, no disc brakes not even Sora.

In terms of department store bikes this is not one of them but yes they do. Shimano and SRAM sells parts that are used on department store bikes but they also make components that are used at the highest levels of sport and are found on a lot of quality bikes. Many companies will make a range of components or products to suit the market. That is why you will see basically a small notch above department store componented bike from say Specialized or Trek and then a 12k road or mountain bike decked out in really fantastic parts. If the company is exclusive to a department store than do avoid but GT has been making bike many years before being in department stores. Intense sells nice mountain bikes and has for a while but also sells at Costco it does devalue the brand a bit but if the quality of their normal bike shop stuff hasn't gone down and the prices haven't gone up you are probably going to be fine. So many companies have been bought up and sold it is hard to keep up.
Old 03-28-24, 12:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

For one, $1200 is what it cost me to build, I would not own a Sora equipped bike either, as far as thinking disc brakes are better, I do not agree. The main thing I love about disc brakes is when a customer brings it to me to repair the system putting money in my pocket. If you can build a bike this nice for my asking price of $600 you are probably a thief dealing in stolen bike parts..Lol. These parts were chosen because I wanted a fast and durable machine. with balance and symmetry in colors, components and finishes, hench the Shimano, Ritchey blend, road bike gearing for speed, carbon where it counts, replaceable steel chainrings Because they are more durable and longer lasting than higher end cranksets with alloy rings. The Silver crankset and rear mech is a perfect blend for the graphics as are the pedals. The stem was a beautiful pairing with and inverted graphic to the striped graphics on the frame and Ritchey branded as the barends, bottle cage, seatpost, and bars. The high density Contour foam lock-on grips are the finest you can buy and work together wonderfully to aid in damping with the carbon bars. The SR Yak saddles are one of the best in its price catagory with fine stitched leather, edge protection fabric with high durometer foam padding that feels like a saddle with much more padding yet sleek, light and durable. The plus is everything on the bike is new.
The tourney lineup you refer to also does not compare to Shimano's unbranded 23/2400 line. It was purpose build for durability all the while being cost effective. It runs out with the feel of much higher end components. Go out today and buy a $600 sport hybrid today and you will be buying lower geared, resin pedals, zero carbon fiber, Tourney or microshift components. Feel free to post up a better, nicer looking, better equipped sport hybrid in this kind of concourse condition anywhere. I would love to see it.
I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure your "Ritchey" CF parts aren't genuine Ritchey products.

This is one of my favorite examples of a "hybrid", but it's in a very different price category...
Old 03-28-24, 01:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
Pretty sure OP doesn't want your bike.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-28-24, 02:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I am sure your correct, I can tell you always are. lol. Its not even a real bike, pretty fake BMC I am pretty sure, Hate to break it to you. See how easy that was to say.
If you're happy with your component choice, I hope they serve you well. I've seen a number of "Ritchey" marked CF components on the big auction site for quite a few years. Their labeling and appearance has never quite matched what's on the official Ritchey website, which is where I drew my conclusion from. I've seen similar with a couple of other brands. Maybe I'm wrong with the Ritchey stuff.

The BMC pic was posted a few years ago by a LBS who put the bike together for one of their customers. I thought it was pretty cool, so I saved the pic. If I had use for a bike like that, I would definitely build one for myself.
Old 03-28-24, 02:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

he wants it, just a bit out of his price range. But far better than anything he is finding in his area and far better than anyone else has come up with for him on this site and this site has thousands of people.
Thousands of people on this site aren't all attempting to come up with a solution for the OP. It's only the people who have seen this thread, AND have felt the motivation to try. I'd guess that number is REALLY small.

After all BBB is the gold standard on telling you what your bicycles are worth
How did you come to that conclusion (other than what the site proclaims about itself)?
Old 03-28-24, 05:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

For one, $1200 is what it cost me to build, I would not own a Sora equipped bike either, as far as thinking disc brakes are better, I do not agree. The main thing I love about disc brakes is when a customer brings it to me to repair the system putting money in my pocket. If you can build a bike this nice for my asking price of $600 you are probably a thief dealing in stolen bike parts..Lol. These parts were chosen because I wanted a fast and durable machine. with balance and symmetry in colors, components and finishes, hench the Shimano, Ritchey blend, road bike gearing for speed, carbon where it counts, replaceable steel chainrings Because they are more durable and longer lasting than higher end cranksets with alloy rings. The Silver crankset and rear mech is a perfect blend for the graphics as are the pedals. The stem was a beautiful pairing with and inverted graphic to the striped graphics on the frame and Ritchey branded as the barends, bottle cage, seatpost, and bars. The high density Contour foam lock-on grips are the finest you can buy and work together wonderfully to aid in damping with the carbon bars. The SR Yak saddles are one of the best in its price catagory with fine stitched leather, edge protection fabric with high durometer foam padding that feels like a saddle with much more padding yet sleek, light and durable. The plus is everything on the bike is new.
The tourney lineup you refer to also does not compare to Shimano's unbranded 23/2400 line. It was purpose build for durability all the while being cost effective. It runs out with the feel of much higher end components. Go out today and buy a $600 sport hybrid today and you will be buying lower geared, resin pedals, zero carbon fiber, Tourney or microshift components. Feel free to post up a better, nicer looking, better equipped sport hybrid in this kind of concourse condition anywhere. I would love to see it.
Ahhh yes so you have overvalued your bike in some way. It is a nice description for sure (truly you are good at that and I am not being sarcastic or nasty in anyway) and could fool people but I can get a new bike for the same price and way better components. Yes I will loose the carbon bits which might be actual Ritchey parts but the components on the bike will be much better. I don't care about a slightly lighter weight handlebar if I am saddled with lower end 8 speed stuff.

Tourney is one notch below the 2300/2400 line they are very close together obviously to sell it you wouldn't want to say that but I am not selling that. Altus is the same on the MTB line. It is lower end components they aren't worth much new and don't hold much value 12 years later.

In terms of disc brakes I am not saying one or the other is better but comparing a cheaper Tektro linear pull brake with a Altus lever to even a base level Shimano hydraulic disc brake is no comparison. I like rim brakes but for $1200 these days it is high, looking at the drivetrain and frame. You generally won't find linear pull brakes on a $1200 bike and you really won't find Altus or Claris/2400 and I can get a carbon fork for that price which will help greatly in comfort on an aluminum frame.

$600 I would be getting something closer to your bike without the Ritchey stuff which is what your bike was new. It may not look quite as nice as your bike but performance wise it will be quite similar. Frame will be the same fork will be probably hi-ten steel vs your aluminum fork and most of the components will be the same or very close.
Old 03-28-24, 08:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
I would step over you looking for a place to beat off.
Haven't heard that one before. How would the GT compare to the Raleigh Cadent OP just bought?
Old 03-29-24, 09:25 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

post em up, just show us one new $600 bike anywhere close to as nice as this Gt is. still waiting, if anyone one is good at gab its you. put up or shut up. I have no reason to fool anyone. it does not exist. simple as that. and nothing worse than a cheap ass carbon fork in this price range. The main reason I chose this platform to build from. besides you have done nothing to help deal with what the post is about. who gives a rats ass about what you think is good or bad. I would step over you looking for a place to beat off. Make sure the OP gets your Ph.# so he has your permission to buy something.
Lighten up, Francis.
Old 03-29-24, 01:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

post em up, just show us one new $600 bike anywhere close to as nice as this Gt is. still waiting, if anyone one is good at gab its you. put up or shut up. I have no reason to fool anyone. it does not exist. simple as that. and nothing worse than a cheap ass carbon fork in this price range. The main reason I chose this platform to build from. besides you have done nothing to help deal with what the post is about. who gives a rats ass about what you think is good or bad. I would step over you looking for a place to beat off. Make sure the OP gets your Ph.# so he has your permission to buy something.
I was not insulting you on that front I would wish you would realize that but your ad for the bike is great. You are truly a great salesman. I know what the components are so I see what it is but if you put that up on one of the online selling platforms with that description it is good. You would make someone want that. It is nice and descriptive and elevates those components to something they are not but makes them sound good. I mean all of that truthfully and honestly. I do understand that emotion doesn't come through in text and this is the internet and people do B.S. frequently but I am not doing that on what you wrote being good I promise you.

You are claiming a $600 bike has doubled in price over 13 years. That doesn't really happen on a $600 bike it is a base level hybrid from GT not a bike that Eddy Merckx raced at the Giro d'Italia. I understand you added different bars, stem and seatpost but the base bike is the same and those components while fine components are not worth $1200 when paired with lower tier components on an older bike. I understand you are trying to sell them so everything on it is the best stuff but reality is reality.

The direct comparison price to price:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/si...=322028-200205
A more realistic bike in terms of inflation with very similar components except hydro disc brakes:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/si...=350188-216886
Then the bike of what you are asking:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/si...=350189-216892

Again both don't have the Ritchey stuff but nobody realistically would put that stuff on a $600 hybrid from 12-13 years ago and then claim $1200

In terms of the carbon fork as someone who has a Specialized entry level carbon fork it is fantastic. I have had zero issues with it in 8 years and it has seen abuse and lots of riding and is a great ride. Maybe not as nice as my ENVE or Whisky Parts Co. Forks but not a complaint on it. Would much rather have that fork than an aluminum fork any day

In terms of your self pleasure comment that was uncalled for an unneeded nor does anyone care about your personal habits. However it did remind me of Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds cover of Stagger Lee but I won't repeat the lyrics here as they are not BF appropriate but it is a fantastic cover, ATMO!

I also never said the OP cannot buy your bike if they want to buy it go for it I am simply question the value on an base level hybrid from over a decade ago with a few showy components that don't make sense. Again bike looks good you did a great job making a clean looking bike and you have described it beautifully you just love it more than it is worth. I understand that to a degree I have a 1994 Phil Wood bike that people ask if I am selling and I give them a beyond ridiculous number because I don't want to sell it however that at least has full Dura-Ace and Phil Wood/Velocity wheels and bottom bracket so a new bike in a similar vein would be 10k-ish but would be way better than this thing but this thing back in the day...

Anywho I hope you have a great weekend and again no sarcasm or ill will here. At least in my area there is some good riding weather so hopefully you have the same and can get out there even for a short little ride.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-29-24, 01:40 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
So this is just a quick note to all cyclists that might be viewing this thread and going jeez louis! I'm noticing so far over 500 views on this thread alone.

For those whom don't have over $1000 to spend on a bike to ride the neighborhood or on rails to trails/canal routes. Your bike is most likely good enough anyhow. Get what you can afford, get off the forums/tv/couch and get outside and enjoy the outdoors. I mean this is a hybrid forum, where it welcomes all riders. OP, your new to you bike looks great, hope it meets your needs!

My point of view is the vast majority of cyclists out in neighborhood or trails, do not care what you ride and are certainly not interested in hearing others downplay what they own. You have an inexpensive bike, celebrate it with what you can have, and that you can still get out and enjoy nature, do not let others dictate you must purchase specifics to have a good time.

I cannot even tell you how many people still ride on the C&O with bikes from Dicks Sporting Goods, Wal Mart or used old bikes that have been kept together. Most all of these riders had one thing in common, they were having a good time. GET OUT AND RIDE!

Likes For travbikeman:
Old 03-30-24, 12:14 PM
RoadWearier

Geez I just asked for a few models of sporty bikes. Turns into people arguing about components. And then an insult or two thrown my way by some guy I never even responded to whose trying to pawn off a bike he doesn't want on me. Lol. This is called "the dark side" of BF. And I like my Cadent quite a bit. Just went on a 16 mile ride and averaged 15.7 mph one way which is faster than I had ridden on any of the road bikes I owned. I thought I'd be lucky to average 12mph. Mind you this was not me "trying to be fast". It was just a fun ride with moderate exertion. This isn't a brag at all just a reference point. The bike is about 23 pounds with a kickstand (yes, a kickstand) and pedals so not bad for a bike I paid $165 for. I still am going to look for something a little sportier. Maybe something like an FX 7.4 or better.

​​​​​​I guess I'll ask again: Anyone have or recommend a bike like a Trek FX 7.4 that they have been impressed with?
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 03-30-24, 12:31 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts

That's a really good price!
Old 03-30-24, 02:40 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Geez I just asked for a few models of sporty bikes. Turns into people arguing about components. And then an insult or two thrown my way by some guy I never even responded to whose trying to pawn off a bike he doesn't want on me. Lol. This is called "the dark side" of BF. And I like my Cadent quite a bit. Just went on a 16 mile ride and averaged 15.7 mph one way which is faster than I had ridden on any of the road bikes I owned. I thought I'd be lucky to average 12mph. Mind you this was not me "trying to be fast". It was just a fun ride with moderate exertion. This isn't a brag at all just a reference point. The bike is about 23 pounds with a kickstand (yes, a kickstand) and pedals so not bad for a bike I paid $165 for. I still am going to look for something a little sportier. Maybe something like an FX 7.4 or better.

​​​​​​I guess I'll ask again: Anyone have or recommend a bike like a Trek FX 7.4 that they have been impressed with?
I'll preface this by saying: no snark intended. Clear?!

Part of the problem is that you've been all over the map with your threads/requests. Compounding this is the fact that, at least to this point, you appear to be looking for used bikes at low prices.

That said, from your recent posts you appear to be looking for something like a quick, flat-bar road bike (a variant on the 'hybrid' theme of which there are quite a few examples. That is what I ride (Specialized Sirrus), and have done for years.

If that characterization is correct, then I would suggest looking at (or out for) the following: Giant Fastroad; Trek FX (the higher-level ones); Specialized Sirrus; and similar. Another option would be something like Canyon's Roadlite series (online/direct purchase only) -- those are about as 'sporty' as this (my) kind of bike gets. Take a look at the manufacturer's websites; see what might interest you.

Might it be worth considering buying new? You appear to have spent an awful lot of time/gas money etc. looking at, buying, and trying various used options. Just a thought!
Old 03-30-24, 03:04 PM
RoadWearier

I have thought about new but I hate that 60-70% depreciation hit. I do like trying different types of bikes. That's fun for me
I like perusing the ads while I'm doing something else. Watching tv, waiting for a bus, etc. That's fun for me too. Not losing money on a bike is fun as well. Really the buying and selling the different bikes is kind of like the members on here who have a collection of bikes. Only I don't have to store them and maintain 15 different bikes. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to a store and just see what's available. Of those models mentioned, do you know which particular models would fit the bill. For example I wouldn't want a trek FX1 I bought one but it was a boat anchor even compared to the FX3. So for instance, which Specialized Sirrus?
Old 03-30-24, 07:29 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
You should also consider the Cannondale Quick offers a nice sporty hybrid especially the lower numbers like the Quick 1, 2 or 3. You could probably find a good used one for a good price.
Old 03-30-24, 09:03 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I have thought about new but I hate that 60-70% depreciation hit. I do like trying different types of bikes. That's fun for me
I like perusing the ads while I'm doing something else. Watching tv, waiting for a bus, etc. That's fun for me too. Not losing money on a bike is fun as well. Really the buying and selling the different bikes is kind of like the members on here who have a collection of bikes. Only I don't have to store them and maintain 15 different bikes. It probably wouldn't hurt to go to a store and just see what's available. Of those models mentioned, do you know which particular models would fit the bill. For example I wouldn't want a trek FX1 I bought one but it was a boat anchor even compared to the FX3. So for instance, which Specialized Sirrus?
Fair enough. Can't help at all with the used bike thing -- not my thing. I tend to buy once -- new -- when necessary, once I know what I want, and toward the top the line, whatever it is. Current bike, a full carbon 2019 Sirrus X, was simply a replacement for my 2010 Sirrus that was stolen from my garden shed. I don't think about depreciation with bikes, because when I buy one I have no intention of selling it.

As far as Sirrus goes, if it were me I wouldn't be looking below the "4.0" level: that represents a solid mix of decent frame/components at a decent price. Keep in mind there are now two 'lines': the non-X ones with a 2x drivetrain, and the X ones with 1x (what I have). Have a glance at the Spec. website, and you'll quickly pick up on all this.

Whatever you end up with (or not), good luck with it all!
Old 03-31-24, 05:27 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by ARider2
You should also consider the Cannondale Quick offers a nice sporty hybrid especially the lower numbers like the Quick 1, 2 or 3. You could probably find a good used one for a good price.

Funny how lower numbers are better on some brands but higher numbers are better on others. Is there ANYTHING standardized anymore in the bike industry? I guess it's the only way to make a profit on a bike and bike parts. If everything were standardized most people would just order everything from generic Chinese Companies.

I appreciate the suggestions that was kind of what I was looking for. Ironically if I DID buy a new bike then I'd be far more likely to keep it. Whether I liked it or not.