Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

What makes a good race video?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 11:27 AM
The Domestique

Bikes: CycleLogix FC1, CycleLogix Black Mantis TT, Jamis CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am trying to come up with a formula for good POV race videos. I've doing them for a while and really struggle with how much production to put in.

This is the latest. Thoughts?

Chris

@thedomestique
Old 05-16-12, 01:02 PM
jaredcasper

Bikes: Argon 18 Krypton

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really enjoyed the voice over commentary as opposed to on screen text (no offense CDR :). Maybe add a profile along with the nice route map? I would also personally like to occasionally hear the sounds of the race (wind, wheels, chatter, etc.) instead of music; seems like there could be a balance there. Awesome video! Little touches like cutting to show the "grim reaper" when you mentioned it and the little PIP of you talking in the car really added to the overall quality.

Also, Team Reel Theatre!
Old 05-16-12, 02:46 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great video. Lot's of work huh? I've done a few so I feel for ya. Not sure I have a formula but I guess as long as it tells a story, and yours did, it's good. Whether that story is race dynamics, timeline or putting the viewer in the race it can all work. I do my off-the-bike videos to document the race. I've turned a couple into music videos of sorts and they take the most time. Funny the video that has the most views is a full-length paceline workout taken on-the-bike.

I think you're on the right track so keep it up.
Old 05-16-12, 04:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
^+1 Story is key.

I think if you like your video, it's a good one. I make my videos for myself, and myself only. The only thing I keep in mind is music rights, so I limit myself to my brothers' bands' music (I have a few ideas using copyright music and I haven't even started them because I wouldn't be able to post them, plus one is a timely thing so it wouldn't make sense now).

If I chased ratings I'd be all over the place. Music, no music. Voice over (that's a consistent request), power/speed data (ditto).

I didn't watch your whole video (Junior started to cry/fuss) but I like the documentary type of feel.

The only videos I don't like watching (even my own) are the raw footage ones, even ones spliced together. I watched a very pro video of my bike race series and it wasn't very interesting. Even I couldn't tell who was who (MTV type millisecond shots), I didn't know if it was a fast lap or race or whatever, there was nothing there except flashes of bike racers.
Old 05-16-12, 09:09 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
+1 for story. It has to start there.

It either has to be about a plot that interests me or include people/personalities that do.

The audio, video, editing, graphics? They're all just icing on the cake that either enhance the story or get in its way.
Old 05-17-12, 05:37 AM
KDTX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Between 5-8 minutes. Over 10 is too long and I usually fast forward.

I took a cinematography class in college and the big thing with any movie or such is that you need to pose a question for your viewers. This happens with all great movies and usually pretty quick. Throughout the movie, you give clues to the answer, with the answer being at the end. (if you want to tell a story with your video)