Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do new chains need lubrication?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21, 10:21 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Does a new chain need to be lubed or do they come pre-lubed?
Old 11-16-21, 10:28 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Does a new chain need to be lubed or do they come pre-lubed?
They come lubricated. It will last a bit (a few hundred miles) and then need to be lubricated.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-16-21, 10:39 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Thanks
Old 11-16-21, 10:56 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Basically to keep them from rusting while in storage. Some will run as is like cycocommute replied and some will degrease them and put their own choice of wax or grease or other lubricant on them.
Old 11-16-21, 10:59 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by SpedFast
Basically to keep them from rusting while in storage. Some will run as is like cycocommute replied and some will degrease them and put their own choice of wax or grease or other lubricant on them.
Oh, I don’t run them as is. They get stripped before installation. It’s far cleaner that way.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-17-21, 12:16 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Ya know this is really a good question. I have always assumed they were pre-lubed and I use SRAM or KMC chains. But what of the other brands. It could be other chains are lubed for packing and storage and not use. Either way even though I don't ride off road dirt they pick up enough gunk to need cleaning frequently so I will lube them even when newly installed.

Last edited by zandoval; 11-17-21 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-17-21, 02:48 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Whatever they put on new chains is usually kind of sticky which would get crap stuck to it. I always run mine through a rag with wd40 to wipe it all off then lube it.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 11-17-21, 05:51 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Leave the factory grease on if you want to replace chains in 1000-1500 miles, cassettes in 4-5,000 miles and rings in 10,000 miles and you want to throw 5 watts in the toilet as the pumice wears away your bank account.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 11-17-21, 07:41 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
They come lubricated. It will last a bit (a few hundred miles) and then need to be lubricated.
Right on. I just got three hundred miles on a new KMC chain and it needs lube now. That's my normal interval anyway.

Only once did I need to relube a new chain out of the box, and it was obvious. I had to apply new oil twice to get it quiet. Bad day at the factory, I guess.
Old 11-17-21, 07:41 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Whatever they put on new chains is usually kind of sticky which would get crap stuck to it. I always run mine through a rag with wd40 to wipe it all off then lube it.
I just wipe a new chain with a rag with mineral spirits on it to get the stuff off the outside, and re-lube when it starts squeaking.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-17-21, 07:46 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
As stated by (mostly) others, nothing wrong with the factory lube inside the chain. I normally do a good wipe down with a solvent before install to get a lot of it off the outside of the chain though - the lube does no good out there and just collects junk.
Likes For mprince:
Old 11-17-21, 09:11 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

The chain is an Sram.
What type of lube do they usually use?
I have been using White Lightning wax lube. If the factory uses a petroleum lube I will need to strip it before lubing.
Old 11-17-21, 09:24 AM
cyccommute 

The chain is an Sram.
What type of lube do they usually use?
I have been using White Lightning wax lube. If the factory uses a petroleum lube I will need to strip it before lubing.
The factory lube is a soft wax that’s a bit like Vaseline. White Lightning is a harder wax. You don’t need to strip the factory lubricant for the White Lightning (WL) to work. The solvent in the WL will dissolve the factory lube when you apply it, just as any applied lubricant will.

I have used WL for the better part of 3 decades. I’ve applied it over factory lubricant and I’ve stripped the chain before installation. Either way will work without any issues. Stripping or leaving it alone won’t have much impact on chain life but I’ve found that stripping prior to installation results in a cleaner drivetrain over time.

That’s the way I proceed with all chains now. I strip them with mineral spirits, install, and lubricate. If I don’t have the facilities to strip the chain, I just use it out of the box.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-17-21, 09:26 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

The factory lube is a soft wax that’s a bit like Vaseline. White Lightning is a harder wax. You don’t need to strip the factory lubricant for the White Lightning (WL) to work. The solvent in the WL will dissolve the factory lube when you apply it, just as any applied lubricant will.

I have used WL for the better part of 3 decades. I’ve applied it over factory lubricant and I’ve stripped the chain before installation. Either way will work without any issues. Stripping or leaving it alone won’t have much impact on chain life but I’ve found that stripping prior to installation results in a cleaner drivetrain over time.

That’s the way I proceed with all chains now. I strip them with mineral spirits, install, and lubricate. If I don’t have the facilities to strip the chain, I just use it out of the box.
Thanks. I like things being made easy.
Old 11-17-21, 11:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Understand that any oil or grease on the outside of the chain is doing nothing for the chains lubrication. It might help keep your chain from getting rusty. But I only see that on bikes I've let sit in storage for a while. While as in years.

If you want to just wipe it clean that's okay. It might not get as gunky. Don't saturate the rag with cleaner too much or it'll get down in to the places of the chain you can't see. And those are the places that really need the lube. Unless of course you also intend to lube the chain afterward.
Old 11-17-21, 12:14 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Iride01
Understand that any oil or grease on the outside of the chain is doing nothing for the chains lubrication. It might help keep your chain from getting rusty. But I only see that on bikes I've let sit in storage for a while. While as in years.

If you want to just wipe it clean that's okay. It might not get as gunky. Don't saturate the rag with cleaner too much or it'll get down in to the places of the chain you can't see. And those are the places that really need the lube. Unless of course you also intend to lube the chain afterward.
When I lube a chain I try to direct the lube into the barrels of the chain.
Old 11-17-21, 12:36 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
A good practice, along with wiping off extra/external lube after application, as you really can't control where it goes very well and there is always lube (and flushed out dirt) on the outside of the chain
Old 11-17-21, 12:47 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have ridden a new chain as much as a thousand miles before I remove it, clean and relube it. I believe the factory is made by Fuchs Lubritech.
Old 11-17-21, 03:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
After joining Bike Forums and reading this and the Road Cycling sub-forums, I have become a waxed chain convert, because I never ride in the rain.

With a new Shimano chain, I would wipe the heavy factory grease off the outside as much as possible, then put it on the bike and go for a single short (< 25 mile) ride to break it in, then use multiple rounds of odorless mineral spirits to strip it, then wax.
Old 11-17-21, 06:07 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
After joining Bike Forums and reading this and the Road Cycling sub-forums, I have become a waxed chain convert, because I never ride in the rain.

With a new Shimano chain, I would wipe the heavy factory grease off the outside as much as possible, then put it on the bike and go for a single short (< 25 mile) ride to break it in, then use multiple rounds of odorless mineral spirits to strip it, then wax.
Why? Chains don’t need to be “broken in”. They are ready to ride out of the box.

If you don’t like the factory lubrication, you can strip it but you don’t need to clean room strip the chain. A round of mineral spirits is all that is needed to strip the factory lubrication before applying any other lubrication, including wax. People keep acting like “wax” is a substance that is entirely different from oil and solvent. It isn’t. Wax is just solvent that has a higher molecular weight. Mineral spirits (a mixture of hydrocarbons), mineral oil, and wax are just a homologous series that will readily dissolve each other. Frankly, leaving the factory lube…i.e. soft wax…would not be a bad way to soften the hard wax that most people use for waxing chains.

Just because a process is complicated doesn’t mean it’s better. Just because you have a lot of steps doesn’t mean you chain will last longer or rob you of less power. A bicycle chain drive mechanism is perhaps the most efficient mechanism ever invented and you can’t do a lot to make it bad…nor make it significantly better.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-17-21, 06:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
Why? Chains don’t need to be “broken in”. They are ready to ride out of the box.

If you don’t like the factory lubrication, you can strip it but you don’t need to clean room strip the chain. A round of mineral spirits is all that is needed to strip the factory lubrication before applying any other lubrication, including wax. People keep acting like “wax” is a substance that is entirely different from oil and solvent. It isn’t. Wax is just solvent that has a higher molecular weight. Mineral spirits (a mixture of hydrocarbons), mineral oil, and wax are just a homologous series that will readily dissolve each other. Frankly, leaving the factory lube…i.e. soft wax…would not be a bad way to soften the hard wax that most people use for waxing chains.

Just because a process is complicated doesn’t mean it’s better. Just because you have a lot of steps doesn’t mean you chain will last longer or rob you of less power. A bicycle chain drive mechanism is perhaps the most efficient mechanism ever invented and you can’t do a lot to make it bad…nor make it significantly better.
Someone else here gave me the impression a chain should be broken in over about 100 miles (3 to 4 rides for me) so that the chain can articulate and its various components can rub against each other to polish any microscopic rough spots, and that this process is better with the heavier factory lube. That seems a bit excessive so I just do a single ride of my usual loop. If this step is unnecessary I would rather strip the Shimano factory lube (which feels like heavy grease to me) as soon as I open the package before it has a chance to pick up any road debris. The main reason I went the waxed chain route is for cleanliness. I like tinkering but hate getting my fingers and clothes all greasy. Bonus if it also increases drivetrain longevity, especially during the current supply chain issues. The measurable difference in friction shown by Friction Facts and others is probably not noticeable to me.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 11-17-21 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11-17-21, 07:22 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I highly recommend that you degrease it immediately and add the lube of your choice. Chains come with grease that will pick up dirt and get dirty really really fast.
Old 11-17-21, 07:49 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Oh, I don’t run them as is. They get stripped before installation. It’s far cleaner that way.
I agree with you 100%. I was just reiterating what you said about they 'can be' run before needing lubing. Not saying you necessarily do that. Hope that clarifies.
Old 11-17-21, 08:26 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I used to strip chains right out of the box. NOT anymore, but they are now all 1/8" SS. Spring last year I put a new SRAM chain on and rode it. Still have NOT lubed it, way over 3,000 miles now, with 2 IGH wheels. It does have a DIY CF chain case, that does have a big hole around the crank.
ALL lubes I've used over the years have held dirt like a magnet. White Lightning was the worst for wear and so says most guys.
My latest lube applied is the Rohloff brand.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-17-21 at 09:13 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 11-17-21, 09:57 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
cyccomutte hit the high points. I avoid aerosols mostly because they are messy and waste more. In my racing years it was Triflow, later White Lightning in the dirt, then in the old fart years and commutting in rain and sleet I went to FinishLine Wet, Sonetimes I precleaned a new chain and most times didn’t. Just wipe it down a lot after oiling.
Likes For LeeG:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.