Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best handlebar for aero like position

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-21, 02:01 AM
mikethe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

For the aero like position - lower the arms and rest them vertically on the handlebar (Orca Aero example):

Does the innovative Ribble Ultra SLR handlebar providers more length for the "resting area" than a typical bar?
I was trying to find dimensions spec but couldn't.

Compared for example to the Orca Aero

Looks like in the more traditional bar designs, the curvature to the inside in the end, reducing the "horizontal length" of the resting area, again, compared to Ribble's new design.

In addition, which groupset's lever considered to be "the largest" hence provides more space for that above "resting"?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by mikethe; 11-24-21 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-24-21, 05:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-30-21, 10:24 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
3t Aeronova has a longer reach than normal and your forearm fits quite comfortably on the tops.
It will mean that when riding on the tops the reach is less which you may or may not like.
Old 11-30-21, 10:47 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You forgot to include the price for the Speeco Aero Breakaway handlebar..........1,500 euros, or about $1,700 USD.
Likes For momoman:
Old 11-30-21, 11:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
You forgot to include the price for the Speeco Aero Breakaway handlebar..........1,500 euros, or about $1,700 USD.
When people ask for the best and then people always have to mention price it kind of defeats things. Either it is the best or it is cheap usually the two don't cross. Sometimes you can find good and cheap but doubtful you will find the best often. Plus those bars are pretty unique so not really a cheaper option on the market yet that is similar enough to those bars.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 12-02-21, 12:31 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm hoping Speeco will license their Aero Breakaway handlebar to another manufacturer that can make it more affordably. It's already been banned in at least one race, although UCI hadn't banned the bars, so their only market will be consumers. Due to worsening neck problems I can't ride aero bars unless I use 'em in the praying mantis position, but the Speeco bar could be tolerable.
Old 12-03-21, 08:23 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The UCI have banned supporting your forearms using the handlebars in general. Aero hoods positions are permitted as long as you don't actually rest your forearms on the bar.

I don't think such handlebars have a future in light of that. In retrospect it was kind of expected the UCI would effectively ban them one way or the other.
Old 12-03-21, 09:37 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Can't have a solution like the Speeco where their likely patent protection disallows the big bike makers copying the design.