Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

De Rosa SLX: Professional v. Primato

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 07:54 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts

I have a De Rosa Professional with Columbus SLX, mine is from about 1986.

What is the difference in geometry and other features when comparing the Professional to the older Primato?

I'm considering acquiring a older De Rosa with SLX, this bike features a flat crown on the fork.

When was the Promato introduced? What differentiates these these two models? What is the difference in performance or ride/handling?

How does an expert know if it's a Primato or Professional?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-22-18 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-22-18, 05:01 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Liked 271 Times in 172 Posts
I'm a bit confused by your post. The Primato is, generally speaking, newer than the Professional and made from EL-OS tubing.
Old 01-22-18, 05:36 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Liked 3,263 Times in 1,645 Posts
How much older is the the other bike with SLX? I believe SLX kinda came out in 84/85 so there might not be much difference there

If the newer bike is EL OS it should be a lighter frame and might feel a bit stiffer

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-22-18, 07:29 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
I'm a bit confused by your post. The Primato is, generally speaking, newer than the Professional and made from EL-OS tubing.
The seller of the SLX De Rosa stated that the bike might be a Primato, but wasn't sure. I'm 99% sure it's not a Primato.

Did De Rosa produce any other model with SLX and a flat fork crown, or was the Professional the only model built from SLX?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-22-18, 07:59 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Liked 271 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
The seller of the SLX De Rosa stated that the bike might be a Primato, but wasn't sure. I'm 99% sure it's not a Primato.

Did De Rosa produce any other model with SLX and a flat fork crown, or was the Professional the only model built from SLX?
I believe [MENTION=61463]gomango[/MENTION]'s wife had an SLX De Rosa that was labeled a Primato, not sure of the geometry on hers.

The Primato is a bit more laid back in geometry than a same sized Professional. I may have geo charts somewhere. I'll post if I find them.

I'll see about measuring mine. I have a 54.5 of both hanging in the garage.
Old 01-22-18, 08:37 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
I recall seeing SLX being on larger bikes. Thicker and heavier but stronger. Cannot support that though.
Old 01-22-18, 08:47 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Liked 595 Times in 257 Posts
I recently picked up this '86 or so Professional with SLX tube set. It is a 61.5cm frame with flat crown and no chain stay bridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0596.JPG (651.5 KB, 176 views)
Old 01-22-18, 09:04 PM
gomango

Liked 262 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
I believe [MENTION=61463]gomango[/MENTION]'s wife had an SLX De Rosa that was labeled a Primato, not sure of the geometry on hers.

The Primato is a bit more laid back in geometry than a same sized Professional. I may have geo charts somewhere. I'll post if I find them.

I'll see about measuring mine. I have a 54.5 of both hanging in the garage.
Still does.

TSX and from I can tell, it was a Nuovo Classico.

They were repainted as a batch for a local racing shop.

Apparently, all they had at the factory were Primato decals.

It most certainly is not a true Primato, but it's still a beautiful bike and she loves riding it on occasion.

I'll measure it later and add to the thread.
Old 01-23-18, 09:59 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Liked 354 Times in 177 Posts
I think the correct take away is that a Primato, by definition, is EL OS tubing. Personally, i think the Primato is a much more interesting, beautiful bike...and I like how my Primato rides more than any other De Rosa I've had.
Old 01-23-18, 10:07 AM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
61.5?! Wow! I'm gonna guess you aren't short...
Old 01-23-18, 05:51 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Liked 595 Times in 257 Posts
6'3"

Originally Posted by nayr497
61.5?! Wow! I'm gonna guess you aren't short...