Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to avoid over-tightened seatpost clamp?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 10:54 AM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

My bike was fitted in the shop, and I noticed that seatpost lowered after some rides. I do have a picture of what it was like after the fitting, so I can put it back up, but I am afraid of tightening the crap out of it because this is carbon fiber frame. How do I do this properly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC01308.jpg (102.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-30-12, 10:58 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
torque wrench
Old 07-30-12, 10:58 AM
Nassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a torque key similar to this https://www.probikekit.com/ca/tools-m...y-torqkey.html it clicks once it reaches the correct tightness.
Old 07-30-12, 11:05 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts
Torque wrench... note that when you are checking the torque you need to back off the bolt and re-torque it.
Old 07-30-12, 11:13 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Also, they make a special paste for just such an application. It doesn't react with the CF and has a bit of grit to reduce the torque required. I'm surprised they didn't apply some when they did the fit.
Old 07-30-12, 01:34 PM
zigmeister

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Old 07-30-12, 01:42 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Torque keys seem kinda lame. Men should own a torque wrench or two

I use the grit assembly paste ( https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Bi...assembly+paste ) and just tighten to probably half the max torque spec. No need to go full tight, it's the max torque, not the recommended torque.
Old 07-30-12, 02:06 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmX
Torque keys seem kinda lame. Men should own a torque wrench or two

I use the grit assembly paste ( https://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Bi...assembly+paste ) and just tighten to probably half the max torque spec. No need to go full tight, it's the max torque, not the recommended torque.
https://www.amazon.com/Pedros-TOOL129.../dp/B001Q23UPI

I bought this one....i love it. I love it even more because I used race re-reimbursements from my team to pay for it...but still.
Old 07-30-12, 02:15 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Liked 830 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Nassa
I use a torque key similar to this https://www.probikekit.com/ca/tools-m...y-torqkey.html it clicks once it reaches the correct tightness.
Torque spec on that bike may be less than 5nm, which the key is set for. IIRC, the seatclamp on my P2, which is a similar design sets the maximum torque at 4nm.

Honestly though, if you have a decent feel for how tight things should be you can tighten a seatpost without a torque wrench. Use CF assembly paste, tighten the bolt enough to keep the post from slipping, without being hamfisted, and you're done. As JMX said its a max torque spec, no need to tighen the bolt more than what it takes to hold things together.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-30-12, 02:16 PM
SCochiller
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$5 fish scale attached to the appropriate hex wrench and a bit of arithmetic works well.
Old 07-30-12, 04:10 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Liked 233 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Torque spec on that bike may be less than 5nm, which the key is set for. IIRC, the seatclamp on my P2, which is a similar design sets the maximum torque at 4nm.

Honestly though, if you have a decent feel for how tight things should be you can tighten a seatpost without a torque wrench. Use CF assembly paste, tighten the bolt enough to keep the post from slipping, without being hamfisted, and you're done. As JMX said its a max torque spec, no need to tighen the bolt more than what it takes to hold things together.
In addition to this, put a little grease on the threads of the fixing bolt. It will come up to torque more smoothly and consistantly.
Old 07-30-12, 04:13 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clipped_in
In addition to this, put a little grease on the threads of the fixing bolt. It will come up to torque more smoothly and consistantly.
And more tightly too.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter