Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Glass on the bike path

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Glass on the bike path

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 05:57 PM
Easy Peasy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glass on the bike path

Say your'e commuting on a bike/pedestrian path and you find that some idiot has smashed a glass bottle on the path. What would you do? Note: you use this route daily.

Ride around it?
Sweep it to the side?
Clean it up and bag it?

Anyone travel with a hand broom?

Last edited by Easy Peasy; 08-12-11 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add'l information
Old 08-12-11, 06:03 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Peasy
Anyone travel with a hand broom?
Yes (actually, the small broom that baseball umpires use). Cleaned six beer bottles and one vodka bottle off path/shoulder on Thursday.
Old 08-12-11, 06:14 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea!
Spent some time picking up glass shards on my way home today. Fortunately had a plastic bag. An umpire broom would've helped a lot.
Old 08-12-11, 07:34 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to get as much of it off the pavement as possible but I don't carry a broom. I came across a guy with a broom cleaning some glass once, and thanked him.

Dang, the other day a cop (car) pulled out behind me on a street and I noticed a big broken bottle in the middle of the road. Sigh. I just went around it and made a big show of pointing down at it as I passed. The cop ran right over the thing. "Not his job", I suppose, but he couldn't even, y'know, steer around it? Driving is hard.
Old 08-12-11, 08:37 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 2,062 Posts
If I have time I kick the big stuff off the trail.
Old 08-12-11, 08:49 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fenders and kevlar tires. Way too much broken glass to sweep personally.
Old 08-12-11, 10:52 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I once somehow managed to run over a bottle and break the thing and still get to work unscathed. I'm thinking I ran over the neck, but I'm not entirely sure. Checked the tires and no glass embedded either. Three months later I'm still riding on the same tire and tubes.
Old 08-12-11, 11:19 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kevlar tires. I would need to rent the city's street sweeper to clean up the glass. It should be in good shape - they never use it....@#^%!!
Old 08-13-11, 01:20 AM
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Definitely need to get me one of those umpire brooms. There's one section of the Hudson River MUP that the cleaners never get to...
Old 08-13-11, 03:14 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
If I have time I kick the big stuff off the trail.
This. I try to clear a line so I can navigate through it in the future, like on a center stripe if there is one.
Old 08-13-11, 03:17 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread, but it brings to mind a question I have often wondered: Who breaks this glass? Is it the winos themselves when they're done with the bottle, or is it that they leave the bottle laying around and later kids come along and break it?
Old 08-13-11, 04:08 AM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guessing kids.

As an aside, the problem with sweeping the debris to the grass side of our bike path is that folks walk their dogs on the grass.
I recently met a woman whose dog cut it's foot on glass, so this time I bagged it.
Old 08-13-11, 06:55 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Almost everyday I see glass on the roads , I wonder who does that ? The glass is crushed into tiny little chunks and I always see it along the curb. I am not talking about big pieces of glass but very small ones, it's almost as if somebody will purpously crush it into tiny pieces and then throw them on the roads. I've seen the same thing along some mup's. A bottle thrown from a vehicle will not break into hundereds tiny pieces like that, and then position itself along the curb ?? I am sure somebody is doing it purpoesly.
Old 08-13-11, 07:41 AM
sggoodri

Bikes: 1983 Trek 500, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2023 Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Almost everyday I see glass on the roads , I wonder who does that ? The glass is crushed into tiny little chunks and I always see it along the curb. I am not talking about big pieces of glass but very small ones, it's almost as if somebody will purpously crush it into tiny pieces and then throw them on the roads. I've seen the same thing along some mup's. A bottle thrown from a vehicle will not break into hundereds tiny pieces like that, and then position itself along the curb ?? I am sure somebody is doing it purpoesly.
I think they get pulverized by motor vehicle tires running over them repeatedly. With time, the wind blast moves and deposits the debris into the gutter, or wherever motor vehicle traffic doesn't travel.
Old 08-13-11, 07:41 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I'll usually record the spot with my video cam, come back within a day or two, sweep it up and haul it away. On my last cleaning venture, it took me a couple of after work trips to clean up a plate glass window that some one dropped onto the roadway and then swept all 50+lbs of it into the gutter bike lane.

Old 08-13-11, 09:12 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is too much glass for me to be able to do anything about it. At night I see groups of young teenagers walking or sitting and drinking. When they finish their beers, they smash the bottltes rather than look for a trash bin.

Last week I had my first ever flat with Marathon tires, after about a year of use. It was a 'spear-like' peice of glass that worked it's way between the tire threads and slowly pushed itself through to make a 'pin-like' prick of the inner tube. No tire is completely immune to flats, unfortunately.
Old 08-13-11, 07:03 PM
Easy Peasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mom gave me her extra hand broom today! A plastic one about 5 x 5 inches, and it spoons with a matching dustpan. Quite perfect.
Old 08-14-11, 02:45 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
On Oahu there use to be three groups of people breaking the beer bottles. Currently there are two.

1. Homeless people. There are a couple of areas with large homeless camps. Those areas always have large amounts of broken glass on the paths and roadways.

2. Underage high school kids who do not want to show back up at home with beer bottles in parents car.

3. Underage military that did not want to return through the security check going back onto base with open bottles in the car. Every Monday, there use to be several broken bottles on the roads leading back to the bases until the military cracked down hard on any drinking by underage people and/or all drivers. So that glass has gone away.

Once saw a paper grocery bag in the gutter full of broken beer bottles. Figured that was a drunk homeless guy that had collected them for the money deposit but was too drunk to not drop the bag and break his future beer money.
It was right at the largest homeless camp.
Old 08-14-11, 03:52 AM
hammandegger

Bikes: 1998 trek 6000, 2001 cannondale terra, 2005 gary fisher tiburon, 2006 giant transport, 2011 surly long haul trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes carry a small brush with me. When I'm on my way to work, it is dark, so I can't really see as well as I could in the daytime. On my way home from work in the morning when it is light out, and when I am not pressed for time I sometimes stop on the bike trail and remove glass.
I sometimes wonder about who it is breaking the glass. Part of the trail I ride goes through 'da hood.' So I am thinking it might be disaffected poor people who might be jealous of all the 'happy' folks riding by on bikes. So whenever I ride through this area I am extra nice and polite to people and I always give a friendly wave to everybody. I don't want to be the reason they want to break bottles on the trail.
Old 08-14-11, 09:08 AM
Danny1962

Bikes: Puch Brilliant 8 speed, Batavus Barcelona 3 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't usually ride with a brush and dustpan but if I know there's a location with a lot of fresh glass I'll pack one and sweep it up. The council certainly aren't going to bother, and I figure if I don't bother, who else will? I'll be the one who has to repair the flat tyre if I (or my wife) ride through it.
Old 08-14-11, 09:24 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there's an area anywhere in the entire length of my commute that poses a consistant danger I'll go back after I get home and sweep or shovel it. On one 2 mile section there are 'sleep divots' cut into the asphalt just outside the fog line. Plenty of room to ride to the right of them. However, there was a place where a big pile of gravel/dirt would cause me to have to go out into the road to get around it. So, I went back w/a shovel and cleared a path large enough for me to by-pass this pile safely. My thought is that one is responsible for one's own safety if making the decision to cycle-commute. Societal attitudes are so stacked against the bicycle that when it comes to safety one must look out for exactly that number...one.