Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1979 Jack Taylor Tandem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1979 Jack Taylor Tandem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-12, 06:37 PM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1979 Jack Taylor Tandem

Old 02-12-12, 06:42 PM
toytech

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice!
Old 02-12-12, 07:03 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet bike, thanks for sharing a few snaps! That's quite a changeup between top tubes, you just pick this one up? I'm near to completing a build on touring tandem #7590, and I'm all in for Jack Taylor cycles at the moment. Always a pleasure to meet another J.Taylor enthusiast & see their machines. Have a Nice Ride!
Old 02-12-12, 07:17 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nobody did box-lining like Taylor. Maaaaan, thats nice!!
Old 02-12-12, 07:22 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That coach lining was a fine art, practiced by many British marques through the early/mid 20th century. Spearpoint lining is particularly attractive... A Beugler pinstriping tool & you too could become an artist on the next bike flipping project. 8)
Old 02-12-12, 07:24 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Ah, so you snagged it!! Congratulations, she's a beauty atmo. So have you had an opportunity to ride it yet? If so, what was she like?
Old 02-12-12, 09:45 PM
Alex Moll

Bikes: 54 R.O. Harrison, 56 W. F. Holdsworth, 59 Sauvage-Lejuene campeur,63 Jack Taylor Tourist,74 & 78 Davidson, 80 Colnago Super, 82 Merckx Professional, 92 Rain City Steelhead, 08 Rivendell AHH, 2011 Rivendell Custom, 2014 Woodrup/Sayles custom 650b

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Congratulations on a very fine machine. I really love that colour.

Looks to be in excellent condition. Overhaul it, put on your favourite saddles, and ride like the wind!

Cheers!
Alex
Old 02-13-12, 08:35 AM
Mercian Rider

Bikes: 1973 Mercian Pro, 1972-73 Peugeot Track, 1983 Lotus Competition, Early 1970s Bottecchia Pro/Giro, 2000 Bob Jackson Special Tourist, 2011 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen; 1996 Franklin custom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the positive comments.

Now here's the bad news, or maybe not. The stoker seat tube was damaged (cracked) by someone forcing in a too-large seatpost (forgive the excess grease):

Also, although overall the paint is in good shape, there a some areas where it's flaking off, and from what I can tell it's because there's oxidization under the paint.

I'd love some suggestions on how to address these problems. I'm thinking the seat tube might not be a big issue if I use a 400mm post, and there may be other solutions. As for the paint, I want to preserve or stabilize the original finish at all costs. Would a clear coat help keep the paint from flaking? But if rust is underneath, would that really be a good idea?
Old 02-13-12, 09:21 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
That bike is worth a professional repair to the SP. Still jealous of the aquisition! Congratulations on a great find.
Old 02-13-12, 09:54 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2943 Post(s)
Liked 2,951 Times in 1,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Standalone
That bike is worth a professional repair to the SP. Still jealous of the aquisition! Congratulations on a great find.

I agree on both counts!!! I would simply love a nice old tandem but then I need to find a stoker OY! plus at this point I would have to either move or sell three bikes to have room for it.

Isn't there a painter/ builder in Ohio..... I think around Cambridge area? I have a link on my deskdop it would certainly be worth looking into.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-13-12, 10:35 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Well obviously I can't see the frame damage very well, but what I see doesn't bother me. I think I'd drill a hole at the bottom of the crack, to ensure that it doesn't spread, use a long seat post, and live with it. Another option would be to epoxy a reenforcement into it and use a smaller seat post. Replacing the tube means a complete repaint and though I'm not saying the frame isn't worth it, I wouldn't go there until all other options have been evaluated.

If you and your partner decide this is the best bike ever and you want to take it on a round-the-world tour, then maybe you want to consider the big repair. For the occasional Saturday ride, no rash decision is required. Keep your eyes open, obviously. And don't listen to jokers on the internet.
Old 02-13-12, 10:46 AM
Mercian Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
Well obviously I can't see the frame damage very well, but what I see doesn't bother me. I think I'd drill a hole at the bottom of the crack, to ensure that it doesn't spread, use a long seat post, and live with it. Another option would be to epoxy a reenforcement into it and use a smaller seat post. Replacing the tube means a complete repaint and though I'm not saying the frame isn't worth it, I wouldn't go there until all other options have been evaluated.
That's my preferred solution. I want to preserve the original paint, even though it's far from perfect. The thought of a total repaint leaves me feeling cold since it would mean destroying Jack's box striping. I've used the method you describe--a hole drilled at the end of a crack to keep it from spreading and long seatpost--and it seemed to work.
Old 02-13-12, 12:03 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
If it were mine, I'd reinforce the rear quadrant of the seat tube (the vertical edges close to but not touching the seat stay brazing) from the top of the seat tube to about a half inch below the current stop drill hole with a piece of 28.6mm, 1mm wall thickness chromoly tubing silver brazed to the seat tube with good penetration of the filler throughout the joined surfaces of the seat tube and the reinforcement. Then redrill the stop drill and use a Dremel tool with carbide cutting wheel to cut a new slot in the rear of the reinforcement between the top and the stop drill hole. The seat tube O.D. should be 28.6mm, and a quarter section of the 28.6mm reinforcing tubing could be held in tightly place with a small C clamp from the front of the seat tube during the brazing process.

You'll need to touch up the repaired area with paint that closely matches the original, but it won't cost a fortune, won't look too bad and will be structurally sound.

My $.02 (which is about what interwebz advice is worth).

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 04-24-12, 01:14 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I'd like to bump this thread to say that I am now the owner of this fine, 1979 Jack Taylor tandem. I would like to express a sincere thank you to Keith (Mercian Rider) for offering this bike to me after he determined that it wasn't right for him at this time. It was a pleasure to meet him as he was kind and generous.

There is a lot of work to be done, but in time (hopefully sooner than later) this tandem will be back on the road. As for the damage to the stoker seat tube, I think it may not be all that bad. More on that when I have time to inspect it closely.

The RD and shifters were replaced at some point. I will probably go ahead and upgrade them further, likely with an 8sp HG cassette and indexing shifters of some sort. Should the wheels need rebuilding I will probably do a 700c conversion.

I will update this thread with pics and details as things progress. This JT will fit my wife and I, which I am very, very happy about.
Old 04-24-12, 01:26 PM
Mercian Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and your little brother. Passing the bike on to you was the right thing to do--I can tell you thoroughly appreciate the bike and its history, and that you have the energy and skills to properly restore it. Thanks also for the small batch Rowan's Creek! Had a sip last night and it warmed my tired soul.

I hope you had a good meal in Worthington before you left.

Sold my RB-2 yesterday and immediately regretted it, so I've suspended the sell off until things improve. But I have no qualms that the JT was meant for you.

Eagerly awaiting photos.
Old 04-24-12, 01:32 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I'd like to bump this thread to say that I am now the owner of this fine, 1979 Jack Taylor tandem. I would like to express a sincere thank you to Keith (Mercian Rider) for offering this bike to me after he determined that it wasn't right for him at this time. It was a pleasure to meet him as he was kind and generous.

There is a lot of work to be done, but in time (hopefully sooner than later) this tandem will be back on the road. As for the damage to the stoker seat tube, I think it may not be all that bad. More on that when I have time to inspect it closely.

The RD and shifters were replaced at some point. I will probably go ahead and upgrade them further, likely with an 8sp HG cassette and indexing shifters of some sort. Should the wheels need rebuilding I will probably do a 700c conversion.

I will update this thread with pics and details as things progress. This JT will fit my wife and I, which I am very, very happy about.
Ah, so you snagged it!! Congratulations, she's a beauty atmo. So have you had an opportunity to ride it yet? If so, what was she like?
Old 04-24-12, 01:34 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

No, I have not ridden it yet. It will see only minimal road time until it's been overhauled.
Old 04-24-12, 02:33 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 181 Posts
I have seen what you can do with a tandem, and Mercian Rider is correct, it is in good hands.
Old 04-24-12, 04:23 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Another awesome bike goes to a good home. Rock on.
Old 04-24-12, 05:25 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Congratulations, Justin! That's a terrific project... very worthy.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 04-24-12, 07:46 PM
Alex Moll

Bikes: 54 R.O. Harrison, 56 W. F. Holdsworth, 59 Sauvage-Lejuene campeur,63 Jack Taylor Tourist,74 & 78 Davidson, 80 Colnago Super, 82 Merckx Professional, 92 Rain City Steelhead, 08 Rivendell AHH, 2011 Rivendell Custom, 2014 Woodrup/Sayles custom 650b

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'll pile on. As Meauxtown would say - I'm a Jack Taylor man, and I'm very pleased this one ended up with you Justin. I think you're a Jack Taylor man, too!
Old 04-25-12, 08:16 AM
jptwins

Bikes: Boulder AllRoad67cm; 1990 Nobilette 65cm;Fuji S12-S LTD 63cm; xtracycle; panasonic gran tourer 68cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looking forward to see what comes out of this! i would love to try out a tandem like this!
Old 07-04-12, 07:21 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Work Has Commenced

I've finally gotten around to this tandem. I've stripped it down, cleaned, FrameSaver'd and polished the frame. There are lots of nicks in the paint and some areas of missing paint, but all in all she's a beauty. Some quality pieces have found their way to this thanks to some helpful C&Vers. The stoker Campy post from fender1, RD and captain's post from nlerner and the super cool Jack Taylor stoker stem generously paid forward from Shaneferd. 39cm randonneur bars just won't do so I've installed 48cm VO bars and a Nitto riser bar for the stoker. There's still a good bit of work to do, but it's coming along.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 07-04-12 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-04-12, 08:10 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
Justin, wow. That's all I have to say.
Old 07-04-12, 08:15 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Nice! That stoker post is incredible!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.