Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Niche-Bikes "Snobs"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Niche-Bikes "Snobs"

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 10:47 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I imagine that the architect admired Bauhaus...
They're all right. But the offshoots, Peter Murphy and Love and Rockets ... fantastic!

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-18-23, 11:46 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre

Dear Baby Jesus,

I know you're not old enough to ride a bicycle yet, but please save me and my B.F. brethren from bike-snobbery. We all know that carbon is the devil...

Carbon is okay. Carbon is okay. Carbon is okay...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-18-23, 06:57 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
I don't look down my nose at other people's bikes, I let my bike do it for me

Funny video. Cyclist not waving back has been a big pet peeve of mine for yours, and I in part blame 'brifters'. I think new riders who never had other shifters are just afraid to take their hands off the bars.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-18-23, 08:33 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
Not everyone that doesn’t return a wave is a snob. If you are referring to riders in a pack or paceline they should be paying attention to the rider(s) in front and around them. The riders in front are responsible for safely navigating the group around overtaken riders and road hazards and if they raise a hand it is to point out which side it is on while also calling out what it is, car, rider, rock, etc.
When I was on a solo training ride my focus would be on the road ahead and things that can now be monitored electronically. A lot of things taking concentration along with urban traffic wasn’t conducive to being social. If I was considered a snob in that phase of my life so be it.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 03-18-23, 08:48 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I don't look down my nose at other people's bikes, I let my bike do it for me

Funny video. Cyclist not waving back has been a big pet peeve of mine for yours, and I in part blame 'brifters'. I think new riders who never had other shifters are just afraid to take their hands off the bars.
Yes it’s those fancy folks with their new fangle carbon bikes and stretchy clothing that are the snobs! They ride around with the 1,000 yard stare induced by big bikes brainwashing refusing to acknowledge or genuflect those wised old souls.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 03-18-23 at 11:40 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-18-23, 09:13 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Dayum, there are a number of members here that would do well to heed Duckie's sage advice:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-18-23, 11:32 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by stoneageyosh
Not everyone that doesn’t return a wave is a snob. If you are referring to riders in a pack or paceline they should be paying attention to the rider(s) in front and around them. The riders in front are responsible for safely navigating the group around overtaken riders and road hazards and if they raise a hand it is to point out which side it is on while also calling out what it is, car, rider, rock, etc.
When I was on a solo training ride my focus would be on the road ahead and things that can now be monitored electronically. A lot of things taking concentration along with urban traffic wasn’t conducive to being social. If I was considered a snob in that phase of my life so be it.
So you may be a new "old" guy, I don't train or ride hard but I do ride a lot and even here in bike Portland most riders don't return a wave here any more at all.

It's about 10 to 1 IMO but I did have a return wave today, first in a long time.

I also employ thumbs up as well but it doesn't get much either.

The other thing is if you are a rockin, racin, trainin, pedalin machine, you should have the skilz to ackknowledge your fellow riders when they extend a courtesy to you, just sayin.

Last edited by merziac; 03-19-23 at 12:17 AM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-18-23, 11:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I love the Centre Pompidou for its colorful, skinny-steel-pipe look. I imagine that the architect admired Bauhaus and Brutalism too, though.

Nice pic!

Thank you for posting. That photo brought back memories of my visit to Paris in 1994, although I cannot recall any of the exterior of CP being painted in primary colors during my visit there. That could be partly because I visited in February. The weather was cloudy, grey, rainy - and freakin' cold as well!

My travel-mate and I still braved the ascent to Le Tour Eiffel's observation deck at 8pm, and enjoyed taking in the breathtaking night-time panorama of The City of Lights. Good times

DD
Old 03-19-23, 12:03 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

I've noticed that chainstay sticker on a number of the bikes you've shared pics of, but have never thought to ask where you got them. This thread provides the perfect opportunity to inquire: where can I find one?

Thank you in advance

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-19-23, 12:12 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by merziac

...but I do ride a lot and even here in bike Portland most riders don't return a wave here any more at all.
Back where I used to live, the popular vernacular for this kind of thing in general was (still is) referred to as 'The Seattle Freeze' - and it's a true phenomenon.

I think it's just a lot of people in a smallish space going about their business, doing what they do. Me? I always return a wave, even if I don't always initiate one.

Either way, I'm easy; sometimes I'm out on the bike, just trying to take my mind off things. I suspect others are lost in their own world in the same general sense - both on and off the bike. But I feel ya, Van.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-19-23, 12:24 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Back where I used to live, the popular vernacular for this kind of thing in general was (still is) referred to as 'The Seattle Freeze' - and it's a true phenomenon.

I think it's just a lot of people in a smallish space going about their business, doing what they do. Me? I always return a wave, even if I don't always initiate one.

Either way, I'm easy; sometimes I'm out on the bike, just trying to take my mind off things. I suspect others are lost in their own world in the same general sense - both on and off the bike. But I feel ya, Van.

DD
Agreed, and my takeaway is my own shortcomings that I don't think about it as much so I'm guilty of it too as it comes to pass.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-19-23, 12:34 AM
Atlas Shrugged

As seen by the other rider.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/fgwv.gif
Old 03-19-23, 12:37 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Your post triggered my own knowing smile---a.k.a. smirk.

I love most things about the C&V crowd except this reverse snobbery. (Ferrari versus Lamborghini? Spare me.)

IME, racers don't belittle any riders except other racers. Did you and the rest of the posters in this thread completely miss that the GCN video is precisely about racers being snobs about what other racers do and has absolutely nothing to do with any other class of riders? And why was it posted in C&V in the first place?

I'm glad I spent 30 years touring and racing my bikes in Edenic peace
before the Rivendell guru figured out in 1995 that convincing touring riders that racers are the enemy was the best way to sell all those pre-indexing components he'd bought on closeout. I wonder if Peterson ever regrets what he started.
Grant Petersen and Rivendell has never stated or hinted that "racers are the enemy." The entire point is that most cyclists are not racers, so bikes designed for racing may not make sense to most riders. Grant Petersen's ultimate message is to make informed decisions about your bike purchases based on the kind of riding you want to do. If you want to race, get a bike meant for racing. I am quite certain Grant will not begrudge you the purchase. If you don't race but like the feel and geometry of a racing bike, go get one. I am quite certain Grant will not begrudge you that purchase, either. But if you want something more upright and more all-day comfy, why buy what a Europro rides, with its emphasis on going faster than the vast majority of us will ever go at the expense of comfort? Yes, he makes a living selling non-racing bikes. But that doesn't make his position any less legit. And he must be on to something, because a fair number of things he's been saying and selling for years have caught on with other operations as well.

And no, I don't think Grant Petersen regrets what he started. Why should he?
Old 03-19-23, 12:59 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

As seen by the other rider.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/r/fgwv.gif
I loled - but that's not really accurate. Have you ever seen MC riders acknowledge one another? Most waves I give - and receive - are similar: subtle, not spastically delivered.

As always: YMMV.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-19-23, 01:00 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
Actually, this is legit. Clamping on a nice set of light weight chainstays isn't a good thing to do. I do use my old Trek 510 to haul lots of things, and if the payload won't fit in a backpack or messenger bag, or bungee to the top of the rack, I'm attaching a vintage Burly D'Lite.
There are kickstands that don't crush your chainstays.
Old 03-19-23, 02:06 AM
Atlas Shrugged

I loled - but that's not really accurate. Have you ever seen MC riders acknowledge one another? Most waves I give - and receive - are similar: subtle, not spastically delivered.

DD
I am presently on a extended bike tour in Vietnam and that’s subtle compared to my reaction when seeing a fellow rider on the road!
Old 03-19-23, 02:28 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged

I am presently on a extended bike tour in Vietnam and that’s subtle compared to my reaction when seeing a fellow rider on the road!
Okay, now that's funny

And what a cool destination for a bike tour! Have fun, and safe travels for the duration of your adventure

DD
Old 03-19-23, 04:18 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
I've noticed that chainstay sticker on a number of the bikes you've shared pics of, but have never thought to ask where you got them. This thread provides the perfect opportunity to inquire: where can I find one?

Thank you in advance

DD
Believe it not Bianchi USA, now Bianchi North America, was selling them around 2010. I’m not sure if anyone else makes something similar these days. Maybe I should learn to use my Sister’s Circut and learn to make stuff like this

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-19-23, 05:26 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Boston? That's cute.

A pizza snob who grew up in New Haven has entered the chat.

Hail To The King: Connecticut Pizza Again Named No. 1 In Nation

Yea, I heard Nino's In Oyster Bay shut down.
Old 03-19-23, 06:12 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2489 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Yea, I heard Nino's In Oyster Bay shut down.
In humiliation, no doubt.
Old 03-19-23, 06:17 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
In humiliation, no doubt.
Naw, I heard he retired back to Sicily after keeping the mongrel hoard fed for 40 years.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-19-23, 07:22 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,581 Posts

DD
to wander a bit further from the topic... I'll wave to motorcyclists while riding bikes; especially if it is out on the rural roads where nobody else is near. Some wave back and some don't, but what intrigues me is that they are much more likely to wave back when I'm riding a recumbent. I'm not sure if 'bents are just weird and harmless, or if the body position is more similar to a motorcycle and therefore closer to being in their tribe.
.. of course, 'bents just get all sorts of weird reactions, so maybe I'm reading too much into it?

and on the topic of snobbery and "us vs. them", today's Pearls Before Swine comic was quite relatable ...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-19-23, 07:35 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Waving Immunity:

Regarding waving? Wow. There are so many possible scenarios. Here's one: A rider is going the other way. We are both doing about 22mph on the flat. He waves. I haven't seen him yet (or cared to look up). I'm lost in a reverie of a B-52's song in my mind, working some alternate lyrics into it. The rider sees that there is no response from me. I look up and see her for a split second before she passes and I wave. No response (she had no time to respond, and has already waved). Should we both feel cheated? Ignored? If you wave to a tree in the woods and no one is there to witness it, did it ever really happen?
I think the real issue is a spiritual one: We can't allow ourselves to become jaded in life. Your generosity might not always be requited, but it is always worth trying, in the long run.
Old 03-19-23, 08:10 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
to wander a bit further from the topic... I'll wave to motorcyclists while riding bikes; especially if it is out on the rural roads where nobody else is near. Some wave back and some don't, but what intrigues me is that they are much more likely to wave back when I'm riding a recumbent. I'm not sure if 'bents are just weird and harmless, or if the body position is more similar to a motorcycle and therefore closer to being in their tribe.
.. of course, 'bents just get all sorts of weird reactions, so maybe I'm reading too much into it?

and on the topic of snobbery and "us vs. them", today's Pearls Before Swine comic was quite relatable ...

Steve in Peoria
When I'm touring with full camping gear motorcyclist not only wave, sometimes they pull over to talk to me. Honestly when touring almost everyone is your friend.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-19-23, 08:11 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Waving Immunity:

Regarding waving? Wow. There are so many possible scenarios. Here's one: A rider is going the other way. We are both doing about 22mph on the flat. He waves. I haven't seen him yet (or cared to look up). I'm lost in a reverie of a B-52's song in my mind, working some alternate lyrics into it. The rider sees that there is no response from me. I look up and see her for a split second before she passes and I wave. No response (she had no time to respond, and has already waved). Should we both feel cheated? Ignored? If you wave to a tree in the woods and no one is there to witness it, did it ever really happen?
I think the real issue is a spiritual one: We can't allow ourselves to become jaded in life. Your generosity might not always be requited, but it is always worth trying, in the long run.
Absolutely!
Likes For 52telecaster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.