Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 02:48 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

Also, in the interests of full-disclosure, weigh the frame again. I want to know how many grams you just saved with that exercise

DD

Didn't even THINK of this. BRILLIANT!!!
Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 03-18-23, 02:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO

Wasn't there some kid named 'Screech' in some show? This bike was probably his at one point.
Right you are; he was a character on 'Saved by the Bell' - and ended up with some drug and weapons charges IIRC.

If he owned this bike during that time frame, he probably rode it in the Tweaker Bike configuration:

DD
Old 03-18-23, 05:17 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
...If he owned this bike during that time frame, he probably rode it in the Tweaker Bike configuration:
DD
Man, that's harsh! Probably a lot of normal people back in the day who were used to riding bikes with upright handlebars did just that, despite the foolishness of the unintended "self-energizing brakes" feature.

But yeah, these days I see that modification mostly used by the chronically homeless population.

I have an easier time using "hobo bars" as a much less-insulting term, hobos being transient workers, not bums.
To each their own in conveying reality on the street as they see it, I admit that "transient workers" don't seem to be the majority of the users of bikes I see "tweaked" that way.
Don't get me started on the DWI crowd.
Old 03-18-23, 05:18 PM
OldForerunner
Top Seeded Amateur

Bikes: Kestrels, Peugeots, EPX, Scott, Trek, C-dale, Jeunet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Huffy is an awesomely terrific bike. Believe me, I know bikes. Other bikes? Sad.
Likes For OldForerunner:
Old 03-18-23, 05:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by dddd

Man, that's harsh!
It was a joke. I've also heard this conversion referred alternately as 'DUI Bars', 'Bum Bars', etc, etc. I figured my post fit right in with the spirit of this thread.

No offense intended. Then again, it seems many attempts at humor in C&V threads lately have been misconstrued regularly. Oh, well.

DD
Old 03-18-23, 05:58 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Didn't even THINK of this.
For real? I noted you weighed the chrome fork crown adornment , and checked the fork weight before and after removing it, so I figured for sure you'd make a comparison on the scale after 'trimming the fat'.

Glad I could assist with jogging your memory

DD
Old 03-18-23, 06:09 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
The rear brake adapter will have to be either thick aluminum or steel to resist being sucked forward. Or, a thinner, sexy, inverted thick leg “Y” or “T” with the wings supported by the seat stays.
My thought for a name would be “Huffanago”.
Don’t be surprised if it makes some familiar noises.

Last edited by stoneageyosh; 03-18-23 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 03-18-23, 07:53 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by stoneageyosh
The rear brake adapter will have to be either thick aluminum or steel to resist being sucked forward. Or, a thinner, sexy, inverted thick leg “Y” or “T” with the wings supported by the seat stays.
My thought for a name would be “Huffanago”.
Don’t be surprised if it makes some familiar noises.
Now, in keeping of the spirit of the outrage this bike will inspire, I suggest you cut the cage off a campy pedal and use that for your drop bolt. Might have to use a NR as they are steel. It will be stiff very still a plenty long. Plus you are good with the grinder, so cutting it should not be a problem. I have a donor pedal, damaged in crash that not good for anything else…..
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 03-18-23, 09:22 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Record was steel, NR aluminum, SR aluminum with Ti spindle. Track pedal would not have the quill so would be same on both ends.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 03-18-23, 09:25 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
15 pages and no Campagnolo on a Huffy. It takes about 2 hours to build a bike.
Old 03-18-23, 09:37 PM
stoneageyosh

Having been a Campagnolo employee back in the Stone Age of cycling (pre-index shifting), I will submit that the perpetrator of this sacrilegious act is obligated to show due irreverence and lack of decorum extended over a long enough time to assure that all that can be possibly offended are.
Old 03-18-23, 10:56 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
#trusttheprocess

If you're just joining us, it will be a little while. While I wouldn't have ridden 100 miles on it before disassembling it (in part because my knees wouldn't have allowed it, q-factor-wise), the OP did, which is what happened over the first ten or so pages. I'd like to see it as well--soon, too--especially since heretical-but-coordinated builds are in my repertoire.

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 03-18-23 at 11:03 PM.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-18-23, 11:05 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Now, in keeping of the spirit of the outrage this bike will inspire, I suggest you cut the cage off a campy pedal and use that for your drop bolt. Might have to use a NR as they are steel. It will be stiff very still a plenty long. Plus you are good with the grinder, so cutting it should not be a problem. I have a donor pedal, damaged in crash that not good for anything else…..
Record was steel, NR aluminum, SR aluminum with Ti spindle. Track pedal would not have the quill so would be same on both ends.
You mean like using this part as the dropper plate? (please correct me if not)

That is actually a great idea, I just don't know if I'll get the space for bolt holes in that plate, and not sure if it will drop low enough. But I love the creativity and out-of-box thinking! And I never thought of using 'cut up' Campy on the bike! I have to be careful though, because if I make the bike too offensive, I'll have to make sure it is light and quick enough to escape everyone chasing me!
Old 03-18-23, 11:14 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by krakhaus
Old 03-18-23, 11:16 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
#trusttheprocess

If you're just joining us, it will be a little while. While I wouldn't have ridden 100 miles on it before disassembling it (in part because my knees wouldn't have allowed it, q-factor-wise), the OP did, which is what happened over the first ten or so pages. I'd like to see it as well--soon, too--especially since heretical-but-coordinated builds are in my repertoire.

Yes yes remember I have a deadline I have to meet. The bike must be 'ready' (whatever that means) by the beginning of June for its first public release at a true C&V event, hopefully to the horror/entertainment of most there, including me.

Otherwise, then...well yes, I would be concerned
Old 03-18-23, 11:25 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Having been a Campagnolo employee back in the Stone Age of cycling (pre-index shifting), I will submit that the perpetrator of this sacrilegious act is obligated to show due irreverence and lack of decorum extended over a long enough time to assure that all that can be possibly offended are.

This one gets it.

Plus I seem to get new objectionable ideas every day, many of which come from the reprehensible suggestions from all of you. Yet! The juxtaposion to have all of these wonderful new insights, further crafting my beautiful vision for this 2-wheeled contraption, stopped abruptly with the finality of a looming deadline interposing the creative process and the creation of art itself...it is a cruel world.

Let's just say that this project will not be over after the debut. It will only get better.

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 03-18-23 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-18-23, 11:56 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Man, that's harsh! Probably a lot of normal people back in the day who were used to riding bikes with upright handlebars did just that, despite the foolishness of the unintended "self-energizing brakes" feature.

But yeah, these days I see that modification mostly used by the chronically homeless population.

I have an easier time using "hobo bars" as a much less-insulting term, hobos being transient workers, not bums.
To each their own in conveying reality on the street as they see it, I admit that "transient workers" don't seem to be the majority of the users of bikes I see "tweaked" that way.
Don't get me started on the DWI crowd.
It was a joke. I've also heard this conversion referred alternately as 'DUI Bars', 'Bum Bars', etc, etc. I figured my post fit right in with the spirit of this thread.

No offense intended. Then again, it seems many attempts at humor in C&V threads lately have been misconstrued regularly. Oh, well.

DD
Offense taken! haha j/k

That is exactly how my PX-10 came to me. I figured that someone must have been on something to take such a beautiful classic ride and uglify it so.

After working w/ homeless populations for more than 10 years in a previous life, I'm not too concerned about proper speech Carry on!
Old 03-19-23, 12:00 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

For real? I noted you weighed the chrome fork crown adornment , and checked the fork weight before and after removing it, so I figured for sure you'd make a comparison on the scale after 'trimming the fat'.

Glad I could assist with jogging your memory

DD
I know I know! I figure that was an easy way to save weight and wanted to see how much I could shave off.

However, I've been thinking (uh oh) and that little fork crown cap might just be the PERFECT thing for putting 'H' pantographs on! I'd leave it off for race days, of course - weight and aerodynamics you know. But for the Concours d'Elegance? That bad boy is GOIN' ON!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 03-19-23 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 12:40 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Man, when you're done, and at some time in the distant future, this bike will surely pass for one of Huffy's first factory prototypes, from the time of their entry into professional bike racing.
As long as all of us witnesses have passed by then, predicting that bidding on Ebay may go well over the $15k figure.

Keep at it!

And as Drillium Dude mentioned, some re-sculpting of the kickstand plate (removing the fender tab, down to where it's still an effective stiffener of the chainstays) might make for a more-credible prototype.

Your bb shell liner should also be credible with the vintage of the first-gen Huffy racing prototype.
Perhaps also both derailer and number-plate hangers should be welded on?
Thanks for the encouragement!

But only $15k? Pffftt that's just low-tier Confente territory!

I do know of Huffy's that draw that kind of money, but unlike my heap, these ones totally deserve it -

Rarer than hen's teeth, and one of the most beautiful bicycles ever made, IMO. I feel bad for putting such a pretty bike in such a filthy thread.
Old 03-19-23, 12:49 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Tried for a home run - but a double still puts you in a scoring position

Record and what most people refer to as Nuovo Record both had steel cages. The black-anodized alloy-caged pedals were known respectively as Super Record Reduced or Superleggeri (steel spindles) and Super Record (Ti spindles).

Source: https://cycling-obsession.com/vintag...pedals-review/

The other pedal with alloy barrels and alloy cages - silver anodized - was the Gran Sport model.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 03-19-23 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Added source link...and speeling - yet again! WTF...?
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-19-23, 01:27 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Plus I seem to get new objectionable ideas every day, many of which come from the reprehensible suggestions from all of you. Yet! The juxtaposion to have all of these wonderful new insights, further crafting my beautiful vision for this 2-wheeled contraption, stopped abruptly with the finality of a looming deadline interposing the creative process and the creation of art itself...it is a cruel world.

Let's just say that this project will not be over after the debut. It will only get better.
yes Yes YES. Let the heretical flow through you. You can always up things by going electronic shifting. Campagnolo Record EPS??? Oh yes. Wallet? "OH NO."
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-19-23, 01:45 AM
stoneageyosh

Nowadays it would be totally acceptable to have the Huffy identify as a boat based upon its comparative weight that it started with. Therefore, it should be expected that this will be a project with no foreseeable conclusion or equivalent to a hole in the water that you just keep throwing money in.

re: Pedals - As I have stated elsewhere, the cranial hard drive is past warranty and has been hacked by that RB father time.

Last edited by stoneageyosh; 03-19-23 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-19-23, 08:55 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
So today marks the day that the first Campagnolo SUPER Record parts touched the bike -

It's about an inch-ish off. Just enough to make an adapter that will allow the post to clear the current bridge. We should be in business.
Hillbilly drop bolt:
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-19-23, 09:00 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
I once had this wild, unmarked drop bolt with at least an inch drop. They're out there.

I bet someone here on the forum might be able to mill the center section out of a block of stainless to your specs too. All you'd have to do is push a pair of knurled bolts into it, like the one on the bottom.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-19-23, 09:02 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Hillbilly drop bolt:
OOooo... I like this idea.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.