Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Spoke Pops Out of Nipple

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Spoke Pops Out of Nipple

Old 07-19-22, 05:28 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 225 Posts
Spoke Pops Out of Nipple

Trying to bring a wheel up to tension. Spoke pops out of nipple. Sapim butted 2.0/1.8/2.0 with brass Polyax nipples.
Can't tell which is bad, spoke or nipple. Order a few more spokes and try again?
Old 07-19-22, 06:22 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Just one.... or many?
Old 07-19-22, 06:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
I always build wheels with at least 2 spare spokes and more nipples. In a case like yours I'd try another nipple. If it works, I'd call it good and forget about it.
Old 07-19-22, 06:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
"Spoke pops out of nipple" Explain better please.
The first reading had me think the spoke was so long (or the rim flat spotted badly) that the nipple had to be so far threaded onto the spoke for any real tension that it extended above the nipple.
But on rereading I wonder if the spoke never engaged the nipple's thread and the nipple was just floating on the spoke.

Or is there another situation?

Belts and suspenders are a good idea when one no longer has a LBS they can walk to and get another part from quickly. Bad nipple threads do happen (I used to keep a non drilled and threaded nipple to show that mass production wasn't perfect). Back in the day we used to thread a nipple on each spoke sold to insure it all worked. The time to do that is pretty much not paid for these days. Instead people rely on assumed QC departments. Andy
Old 07-19-22, 06:53 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Yes, tried another nipple and pop. Must be spoke. I always buy spare spokes and put the extra two on the chainstay. I will put a piece of tape on spoke to verify if its the same spoke if it pops again. Ugh.....
Old 07-19-22, 08:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I would think it would be the spoke. Easy enough for them to get mixed up and put in the wrong box. 1.8mm spokes in 2.0 nipples will hold on til you up to over 50% tension then pop right off.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-19-22, 09:11 PM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I would think it would be the spoke. Easy enough for them to get mixed up and put in the wrong box. 1.8mm spokes in 2.0 nipples will hold on til you up to over 50% tension then pop right off.
I will double check with micrometer. Good thought
Old 07-19-22, 09:15 PM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"Spoke pops out of nipple" Explain better please.
The first reading had me think the spoke was so long (or the rim flat spotted badly) that the nipple had to be so far threaded onto the spoke for any real tension that it extended above the nipple.
But on rereading I wonder if the spoke never engaged the nipple's thread and the nipple was just floating on the spoke.

Or is there another situation?

Belts and suspenders are a good idea when one no longer has a LBS they can walk to and get another part from quickly. Bad nipple threads do happen (I used to keep a non drilled and threaded nipple to show that mass production wasn't perfect). Back in the day we used to thread a nipple on each spoke sold to insure it all worked. The time to do that is pretty much not paid for these days. Instead people rely on assumed QC departments. Andy
The spoke had seated and I was winding them up one at a time. Checked tension and was still low, then PING!. This is new to me, never had that one happen. Its obviously a thread interface issue. Also, which is harder metal, the spoke or the brass? I assume the spoke, but if the thread is damaged none of that matters. And the nipples are 14mm so lots of engagement room. Bigger concern would be a bad batch of parts and this continues as I go.
Old 07-19-22, 09:22 PM
etherhuffer 

OK, maybe it was me. I did the spoke calc repeatedly, compared several calculators. I see threads still exposed on the spoke as I am bringing up tension. I may be too short and the engagement pops as not enough threads engages. Oof......
Old 07-20-22, 05:43 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by etherhuffer
OK, maybe it was me. I did the spoke calc repeatedly, compared several calculators. I see threads still exposed on the spoke as I am bringing up tension. I may be too short and the engagement pops as not enough threads engages. Oof......
Could be a case of garbage in, garbage out. Did you measure the hub and rim yourself, or rely on manufacturer's data? That can sometimes be way off in my experience. Case in point, just last week, I ordered a hub that the seller's data showed had 58mm hub flange diameter on both sides. When it arrived, I measured it at 45mm left and 49mm right. The CTF measurements were off as well. Not the first time I have found such a discrepancy.
Old 07-20-22, 10:28 AM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Could be a case of garbage in, garbage out. Did you measure the hub and rim yourself, or rely on manufacturer's data? That can sometimes be way off in my experience. Case in point, just last week, I ordered a hub that the seller's data showed had 58mm hub flange diameter on both sides. When it arrived, I measured it at 45mm left and 49mm right. The CTF measurements were off as well. Not the first time I have found such a discrepancy.
I broke out the calipers, went through everything, its all the same as my original measures. A friend is a wheel builder, he said on occasion he will get some bad nipples that won't hold. I am going to grab a few DT nipples and retry the same spoke that popped. I also used multiple spoke calculators and found all to be within .5mm on size. Sigh.....
Old 07-20-22, 10:41 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,559 Times in 1,574 Posts
One rule of thumb I go by is that the threads should disappear into the nipple (or be very close to it) by the time you start developing torque on the nipples. Was that the case?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-20-22, 11:25 AM
etherhuffer 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
One rule of thumb I go by is that the threads should disappear into the nipple (or be very close to it) by the time you start developing torque on the nipples. Was that the case?
I just checked, and they are covered. I am at 17 on a Park Tool (?kgf) at the moment. I have done about 10 wheels since learning years ago, none of them had this issue. Frustrating
Old 07-20-22, 11:29 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,094 Posts
EH,
Not sure about your nipple length. I keep 14mm,16mm and 18mm in case I find a spoke not engaging properly. You might try a longer nipple and see if that helps. Smiles, MH Call me if you need one or two of the longer ones, 812-336-3283