Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo brakes on mountain bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-08, 01:06 AM
edwinw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I came across these Campagnolo Veloce brakes:

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...A%20Campagnolo

but the page says these brakes work with road levers only. I seem to remember reading on Sheldon Brown or somewhere else that there was a difference between older and newer brake levers pulling different amounts of cable, which would affect how the brakes worked. However, I don't remember anything about different amounts of cable being pulled by road and mountain bikes, though I'm probably mistaken or mixed up. Could someone confirm whether these would be usable with mountain bike brake levers? Thanks!
Old 09-21-08, 01:35 AM
wasabi

Bikes: Cannondale F-1000 (26" Hardtail for every day ride), Thömus Longrider (26" custom built travel bike), Basso Laguna (road race bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem when building up a bike: in the same store (!) one mechanic told me they would work fine with road levers, the other said these were for MTB levers only I preferred to stay out of trouble and installed mechanical disc brakes instead....
Old 09-21-08, 01:36 AM
Madoner
Brake Denial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you plan on mounting these brakes to a mountain bike fork/frame? Campy and corvettes are made for the road.
Old 09-21-08, 04:29 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Madoner
How do you plan on mounting these brakes to a mountain bike fork/frame? Campy and corvettes are made for the road.
I was thinking that myself. Can you even mount them on a MTB frame?
Old 09-21-08, 05:27 AM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Why would you want to buy road brakes to fit to a mountain bike? Even if your MTB frame has fork and rear bridge drillings, these are usually for crud guards and would need drilling out oversize to take the Allen key bolt fixing of the Veloce. Then there's the issue of brake drop and tyre/mud clearance. Many MTB's are fitted with V-brakes or cantilevers for use with wide 26" tyres - I can't see these reaching the rim round those.

If your question is actually - "Can I use non- road brake levers with these road callipers, then that's a different matter. In my opinion they would probably work but not to best effect.
Old 09-21-08, 05:53 AM
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob

Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Only use them on an Italian mountain.

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Old 09-21-08, 06:05 AM
ruppster
Bike Builder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want those to work on a flat bar road bike (a road bike will be the only frame they work on, due to the short reach, not to mention clearance for only a 28mm tire) you will need levers compatible with cantilever brakes. Something to keep in mind is that Campy brakes do not open on the brake like Shimano. Campy "openers" are built into the levers.
Old 09-21-08, 06:37 AM
nubcake

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruppster
If you want those to work on a flat bar road bike (a road bike will be the only frame they work on, due to the short reach, not to mention clearance for only a 28mm tire) you will need levers compatible with cantilever brakes. Something to keep in mind is that Campy brakes do not open on the brake like Shimano. Campy "openers" are built into the levers.
i think he nailed everything you needed to know.

again why on a mountain bike, you are much better off with a set of v brakes
Old 09-21-08, 10:32 AM
edwinw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! To be honest, I had no idea that the brakes were road-specific, and that they couldn't even be mounted to a mountain bike frame. I'm just learning about putting together bike parts right now, you might come across some more noob questions from me in the next little while
Old 09-21-08, 12:48 PM
griftereck

Bikes: Grifter BSA 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fitted 26 x 1 3/8" wheels to my old Falcon mountain bike frame.
I fitted road bike style weimmann 730 and 810 sidepull calipers to it.
they will be longer than those campag brakes.

geuss you could fit 700c wheels on a mountain bike with sidepull brakes on.

Old 09-22-08, 12:20 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
No problem, we all started out some time - and years later are still asking for help and opinions from our Forum buddies!