Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Harbor Freight's "Fahgettaboutit" knockoff?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Opinions on Harbor Freight's "Fahgettaboutit" knockoff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 04:06 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by cash360
I'm sorry to tell you this, but there isn't a cable, chain, kryptonite, nothing made, that will stop my Ridgid battery operated 4 1/2" angle grinder from getting through any one of the locks, chains, whatever, within fifteen to thirty seconds. Sorry!
Maybe if you told him 9 years ago when the post you're replying to was made....it would have helped.
Old 02-16-18, 04:44 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Nice zombie thread!

In the 9 years since this thread was started I've actually bought one of these chains from Harbor Freight. Mine didn't come with a lock. I use the chain to secure bikes to my hitch-mounted rack when I'm going to be away from the car for more than a few minutes. The rack has a built-in cable lock which I'll trust in a safe neighborhood long enough to run in and buy something from a convenience store if I can park in a place where I can watch my bike while I'm in the store. I use the beefy-looking chain for longer stops, like if I'm in a safe neighborhood and want to run in to a restaurant for a meal.

I found a video back when I bought it where a guy was cutting various security chains and there was a lot more to it than just how thick they were, so I suspect the one from Harbor Freight isn't terribly secure. BUT it looks intimidating, and I think that's the main thing you need from a lock. If the thief is ready and willing to cut a beefy chain, the only thing you can do is stay with your bike. What you want (what I want, at least) is a lock that a potential thief will look at and decide it's not worth the risk, and I think in many situations the Harbor Freight lock will accomplish that very well.
Old 02-17-18, 12:00 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
^^Yep! The HF lock and chain combo looks plenty tough, and will ward off the opportunists. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on bikes of lesser financial and sentimental value, to lock up for reasonable periods of time.
Old 02-20-18, 10:19 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jrich179
C-clamps for example- $1 each, and they do more or less what you want a c-clamp to do. Just don't try to compare it to a $7 Bessey
Current production Bessey clamps are worse than Harbor Freight clamps. Bessey was good 40 years ago.

You want a good one to compare to, try Yost or Wilton.
Old 02-21-18, 07:39 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Current production Bessey clamps are worse than Harbor Freight clamps. Bessey was good 40 years ago.

You want a good one to compare to, try Yost or Wilton.
I've bought both Bessey and HF F-style clamps in the last year, and the Bessey clamps are far better. Particularly the threads and clamp head castings. I'm a woodworker and use my clamps a lot.

That said, I do buy stuff at HF, and the quality of a lot of their products is acceptable if you understand and accept the limitations. The $10 three jaw puller I use once a year is great, and I'll probably never wear it out, but it would never last in a commercial shop. The quality tool equivalent might be $70.