Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What kind of hub is this?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-22, 08:57 PM
sortieavelo

Bikes: A-D Superleicht; Colnago CX-1; Cerv駘o Soloist; 1985 Trek 460; 1973 Crescent Pepita 320.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Mates, this is my first disc brake build. It痴 a lightweight cyclocross bike. Wheels are carbon disc葉hey arrived today. I知 going to be running a shimano drivetrain so I ordered the wheels with a shimano/SRAM hub.

so what kind of hub is this様ooks like a thread-on? Thank you guys..,

This
Old 12-14-22, 09:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
It looks like a SRAM XD driver which is compatible only with XD cassettes. I would ask the hub manufacturer if they have the correct freehub you need for whatever you are running. With 11 and 12 speed the S groups diverged and now with 12 speed Shimano has diverged again with Microspline
Old 12-15-22, 09:35 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,880 Times in 2,315 Posts
Now that the hub has been laced up w/ spokes I speculate that it is no longer returnable for credit or exchange. Much like w/ sew up tires, once the glue goes on any issue is the buyer's problem and not the seller/manufacturer's. One more reason to want to touch and hold in hand what you plan to buy before the $ is transferred. Andy
Old 12-17-22, 06:39 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
What did you order? the details should be on your invoice/order confirmation.

As you don't know what the freehub spec it, is the width correct?

Today, far more than even in the recent past (say10 years back), it's essential to know what parts you need, and order correctly, as it's very easy now to order parts that just won't work with what you have, product knowledge is key, research before you buy, and check it's compatible before you have start building
Old 12-17-22, 07:48 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Now that the hub has been laced up w/ spokes I speculate that it is no longer returnable for credit or exchange.
I believe the OP ordered these as a complete wheel set, not bare hubs, so they should be returnable if he received the wrong freehub. That freehub body is new to me too and it certainly isn't a standard Shimano/SRAM 11-speed and below type.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-17-22, 04:46 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
That looks like a Single Speed driver to me on a Formula hub body. So it would
most likely take a Single Speed cog, and a threaded lockring.
Old 12-17-22, 06:15 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
It is a Sram XD - or maybe an XDR driver/freehub body. They look similar, but the XDR is 1.85 mm longer and can take an XD cassette with a spacer. XD driver cannot take an XDR cassette.

Definitely not the old standard Shimano/Sram freehub. Definitely not a Shimano Microspline. Look up those terms for images.

What did you order? what kind of cassette do you want to put on it?

Many current model of hubs can have the driver body easily replaced with no tools and a ~$40 driver/freehub body. Check with the hub company.

Last edited by Camilo; 12-17-22 at 06:34 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-18-22, 05:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Originally Posted by onsay99
That looks like a Single Speed driver to me on a Formula hub body. So it would
most likely take a Single Speed cog, and a threaded lockring.
Unfortunately no that is SRAM XD/XDr (not sure the exact one but both are similar. I believe though Problem Solvers or one of the QBP brands does make a single speed conversion kit for XD drivers but that is a specific kit different from the actual freehub in question.

Generally most single speed specific cassette hubs are just shorter Shimano splined freehubs which use spacers and a lockring like you might on a multi speed cassette. For freewheel stuff it would be just a single threaded part. Fixed gear is where you would have a thread on cog and then separate reverse threads for a lockring, a freewheel does not need that.