Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park TS-2 vs TS 2.2 truing stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 06:59 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts

Hi anyone have any feel as to whether there is any real difference between the park ts-2 vs ts 2.2 functionally

I really don't like wheelbuilding.....but some how it is growing on me and as usual starts me looking at tools.

my current stand is a spin doctor(minoura) and is ok but not fantastic

Old 01-12-23, 08:59 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
It’s been a couple years since I got mine and IIRC the newest had capability for those big fat tires and the 29” wheels. I may be wrong on that though. The stand is nice. Mine was purchased with the plastic tilting base attachment. I rally like that. It is quite stable, and one doesn’t have to bolt the stand to a bench but can store it away somewhere until needed again.
Old 01-13-23, 12:27 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
My two 2.2 do a better job of fitting fatter tires and rims, and are also long enough to not need bolt-on extensions for 29er wheels with tires on them. The last 2.0 stand I used was old, so I'm not certain if they went through a later revision, but 142mm didn't fit as well, and 2.3 tires on 29" wheels would bottom out and not spin. Park made an adapter the shop had to buy. My 2.2s are both earlier ones and imho don't do the best job of squaring up on 148mm hubs and I'd question how well a fat bike rear hub would really fit.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-13-23, 09:25 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Still managing with a TS2 here. When I do upgrade I will step up to the 4.2 or whatever May replace it in the meantime.
A few years ago I was building a lot of fat bike wheels and while adapters made truing with the TS2 possible it would have been nice to have a stand that didn’t need adapters.
The fat bike craze peaked and I do them much less frequently now so I am managing.
These days I build a lot of thru axle wheels and I have to clamp on the extension adapters for some 142 mil axles so having the thru axle adapters integrated with the arms would be very convenient.
Old 01-13-23, 09:25 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
You can only get the TS-2 2nd hand now, as it was replaced with the 2.2 years ago.

If your only building 100mm front/130/135 rears, the 2 is fine, anything current ( boost, thru etc), you either want a 2 with all the (Park) mods/updates to effectively make it into a 2.2, or preferably a factory 2.2

I started with a folding Minoura stand, and moved onto a TS-2, rarely use it today, as haven't needed to build any wheels in a while, yes the Park is nicer, is it worth the expense if your not building a lot, that's questionable
Old 01-13-23, 09:50 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Hi anyone have any feel as to whether there is any real difference between the park ts-2 vs ts 2.2 functionally

I really don't like wheelbuilding.....but some how it is growing on me and as usual starts me looking at tools.

my current stand is a spin doctor(minoura) and is ok but not fantastic
It's kind of hard to imagine that you would be building enough wheels to justify a step up from your Minoura, especially since you say you don't like wheel building. Of course this is coming from a guy who has built many wheels using the frame/fork and brake pads as my wheel building jig. Unless you're in need of some special feature that your Minoura just can't handle . . .
Old 01-15-23, 12:25 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
We don’t build wheels with tires installed so…
A Park TS is shiny and cool.
Old 01-15-23, 04:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
One aspect of a truing stand that I place a large amount of importance in is the stability of the rim WRT to the indicator. The Park TS series set the standard for this, there are more solid ones but often they will have limitations (my Var Preciray is a good stand for classic wheels/hubs but not so for modern stuff). Having said that at the shop i sort of retired from we got a TS-4.? a couple of years ago. All but one wrench didn't like its far greater amount of flexibility. All that big tire and through axle capacity comes at the cost of having to be more careful in how you spin the wheel during truing it. But I guess with hub brakes being the go to now, rim trueness is far less an issue.

Unless one needs the fat tire ability I say stick with a TS-2 series version. Oh, and get a dishing tool if you don't have one already. Andy
Old 01-15-23, 06:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
It's kind of hard to imagine that you would be building enough wheels to justify a step up from your Minoura, especially since you say you don't like wheel building. Of course this is coming from a guy who has built many wheels using the frame/fork and brake pads as my wheel building jig. Unless you're in need of some special feature that your Minoura just can't handle . . .
While I have no problem with a Minoura folding stand and built several wheels with one, if I were building more than about 10 wheels, I’d invest…and have…in a Park stand. I’ve had mine since the late 90s and use it a lot. Just built up a set of wheels this week.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!