Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain Ring Compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain Ring Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 10:43 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Chain Ring Compatibility

Simple question: Can I use a vintage chain ring on an 11 X 2 drive train (105)? I have a large ring that is worn out and most of the good deals on chain rings seem to be on vintage stuff. If BCD and teeth number are the same will the chain work? Or is older stuff too thick? I know single speed 1/8" gears are out of the question, but my research seems to indicate that all 8 speed thru 11 speed have same internal chain dimension. Thanks
Old 04-09-23, 11:41 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Have you actually looked at a recent (any) 11 speed cranks in the 105 series?

What do you mean by 'vintage' as well?

Answer both of these questions, and your original question will have been answered as well
Old 04-09-23, 11:59 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
Not likely you're going to find any vintage rings with 4 arm mounts to match the 105. It can also get a little tricky sometimes trying to match the proper offset for your cranks with rings from other models. Scour the net and Ebay for deals on an OEM 105 replacement as they also shift better than any other brands. You could also try a newer Claris or Tiagra chainring.for much less but not as durable and I personally don't know if they have the same offset.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-09-23 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-09-23, 05:46 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Not likely you're going to find any vintage rings with 4 arm mounts to match the 105. It can also get a little tricky sometimes trying to match the proper offset for your cranks with rings from other models. Scour the net and Ebay for deals on an OEM 105 replacement as they also shift better than any other brands. You could also try a newer Claris or Tiagra chainring.for much less but not as durable and I personally don't know if they have the same offset.
That offset seems to be the main difference I'm running up against. The cheaper rings don't have machining in the bolt holes like mine either which makes me think I'll need a different set of bolts too even if the offset were to match. Lots of advice online stating that if the BCD and teeth number match you're good to go. Yeah, right. Thanks for your input, Smokey
I should add that I have 5 arm/110 BCD and there appear to be lots of vintage out there with that description.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-09-23, 05:52 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by jimc101
Have you actually looked at a recent (any) 11 speed cranks in the 105 series?

What do you mean by 'vintage' as well?

Answer both of these questions, and your original question will have been answered as well
I have a 5 arm 110 BCD 52 tooth large chain ring. There appear to be lots of those in the vintage marketplace online. Most are nothing more than flat steel while my 105's are machined right down to counter sunk bolt holes. I don't believe they'll work and I am now going to order a Praxis Works from an online bike dealer, even though it's 3 times the cost, which is also the reason for my inquiry. I'm a frugal chump, okay?
Old 04-10-23, 12:09 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by vintage but the chain rings from a 2x10 drivetrain should work just fine with an otherwise 11 speed drive train, as long as BCD match.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-11-23, 11:41 AM
jimc101

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I have a 5 arm 110 BCD 52 tooth large chain ring. There appear to be lots of those in the vintage marketplace online. Most are nothing more than flat steel while my 105's are machined right down to counter sunk bolt holes. I don't believe they'll work and I am now going to order a Praxis Works from an online bike dealer, even though it's 3 times the cost, which is also the reason for my inquiry. I'm a frugal chump, okay?
Then you don't have a '11 X 2 drive train (105)' drivetrain

The info you gave indicated you have a recent setup, with 4 arm non symmetrical bolt cranks, as this is/has been the spec of recent/current 105 (5800 and R7000) which are the only cranks from Shimano (who are the only brand who use 105 as a name) which come in 11 speed.

Now you're saying you don't have this, but not what you do have, how is anyone meant to be able to help you if you give info (it was limited, but indicated some very specific components), then tell us that it was all wrong, but won't say what you do have?
Likes For jimc101:
Old 04-11-23, 06:54 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Then you don't have a '11 X 2 drive train (105)' drivetrain

The info you gave indicated you have a recent setup, with 4 arm non symmetrical bolt cranks, (NEVER SAID) as this is/has been the spec of recent/current 105 (5800 and R7000) which are the only cranks from Shimano (who are the only brand who use 105 as a name) which come in 11 speed.

Now you're saying you don't have this, but not what you do have, how is anyone meant to be able to help you if you give info (it was limited, but indicated some very specific components), then tell us that it was all wrong, but won't say what you do have?
I have a 5800 105 setup with a Praxis BB and 5 arm 110 BCD cranks. The BB even has 2 different sized bearings, unlike the typical BB86, which is what the frame is machined for. Both front and rear DR's are Shimano 105 2x11 gearing. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I was just hoping maybe I could save a few bucks on consumables as the Vintage rings run around 25 bucks and the Praxis are over 100. It's been ordered and should be here tomorrow so this is a done issue. Moving on...

Last edited by SpedFast; 04-11-23 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-11-23, 07:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I've mixed and matched chainrings a fair amount.

For the most part bicycle chains have very similar internal widths, of 3/32" or 11/128". But, the plate design and pin design make the higher speed chains narrower. So one of the issues is dropping the chain between chainrings.

The tooth design may also be slightly different, allowing more cross chain flexibility.

The big difference you'll find on "vintage" vs "new" rings would be ramps and pins which aid with shifting. Ideally the rings will be sold as matched pairs, but that may not be vital. If you get a flat ring without the ramps and pins, it may degrade shifting performance.

There are very few STEEL rings that I'd put on my bike. Perhaps a steel inner low speed triple ring.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 04-11-23, 07:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I have a 5800 105 setup with a Praxis BB and 5 arm 110 BCD cranks. The BB even has 2 different sized bearings, unlike the typical BB86, which is what the frame is machined for. Both front and rear DR's are Shimano 105 2x11 gearing. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I was just hoping maybe I could save a few bucks on consumables as the Vintage rings run around 25 bucks and the Praxis are over 100.
I get what you said. I have a Cannondale Synapse so it is likewise a 105-5800 groupset except for Cannondale's proprietary BB30a bottom bracket and FSA 110 BCD 5 bolt chain rings on Cannondale SI cranks. I don't mind not having a full 105 groupset but didn't like the FSA rings. Then I learned (from Lennard Zinn of VeloNews Tech FAQ) that chain rings from a 2x10 drive train work just fine with an 11-speed chain, so I installed Shimano 105-5750 chain rings, and they improved front shifting enough that I bought a spare set. I suggest that my new setup would serve you well as a happy medium between vintage rings and Praxis rings. Since you want 52/36 you should look for 105-5700 chain rings. Never mind, Shimano FC-5700 are only 130 BCD; in 110 BCD only FC-5750 is available, and that is a 50/34 set.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 04-11-23 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Correction
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-11-23, 10:43 PM
jimc101

I have a 5800 105 setup with a Praxis BB and 5 arm 110 BCD cranks. The BB even has 2 different sized bearings, unlike the typical BB86, which is what the frame is machined for. Both front and rear DR's are Shimano 105 2x11 gearing. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I was just hoping maybe I could save a few bucks on consumables as the Vintage rings run around 25 bucks and the Praxis are over 100. It's been ordered and should be here tomorrow so this is a done issue. Moving on...
'The info you gave indicated you have a recent setup, with 4 arm non symmetrical bolt cranks, (NEVER SAID) as this is/has been the spec of recent/current 105 (5800 and R7000)'

I know you never said it, but what you wrote INDICATED you had this spec, as that is the design/spec of all CURRENT 105 2x11 and has been for a few generations now, as said (in different works) you gave no/very limited useful info when asking the original question, as it was misleading

Saying you have a '11 X 2 drive train (105)' indicates you have either a 5800 or R700 setup, and that you have no deviation it, now your saying you have 'I have a 5800 105 setup with a Praxis BB and 5 arm 110 BCD cranks' that's the info that should have been given in the first post, although still no info about the actual cranks you have.

None of this is being 'argumentative' it's about getting the correct info when asking a question, so people don't waste their time giving answers that turn out to be incorrect/bad due to incomplete/missing essential information,

Last edited by jimc101; 04-11-23 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 01:02 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

How about: SRAM Red/Force Non-Hidden Bolt 52T 110mm Black Chainring Use with 36 or (coloradocyclist.com)
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-12-23, 09:04 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Thank you
Old 04-12-23, 10:11 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

None of this is being 'argumentative' it's about getting the correct info when asking a question, so people don't waste their time giving answers that turn out to be incorrect/bad due to incomplete/missing essential information,
Don't think this is being argumentative. Agree that the additional information -- which was provided in a subsequent post -- is essential toward the correct resolution. However, the continued and strident insistence that the additional information should have been provided in the original inquiry reflects ... bad bedside manners? In the modern economy, many of us are service providers, including Bicycle Mechanics (this forum) as well as me. If I had a dollar for every piece of relevant information missing from an initial inquiry from a potential client, I would be rich and no longer need to work. If I had responded as you did to the subsequent provision of information, I would be out of work.