Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Nishiki International - Which would you choose? $80 vs $140

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Nishiki International - Which would you choose? $80 vs $140

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-23, 02:34 PM
chaisu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Congratulations!!!

That size looks pretty good for you, a tad on the tall. I have the '77 competition, my fit is about the same as yours. I've done some very moderate upgrades.

I think you will like yours for a long time.

my '77, with a leather saddle and Dura Ace 7402 brakes
Very nice. Thanks for sharing! Since I'm new here, I'm curious what your reasoning was for switching out the brakes? Did it not have originals or were they too far shot? Or is there a noticeable benefit in braking with the Dura Ace 7402? Same question for the 700c conversion. Thanks!
Old 07-16-23, 02:38 PM
chaisu

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
It’s nice to see “right” size bikes!😂
Just learning here, what is a 'right' size bike? Do you mean sized right for the specific rider? Or do you mean you like seeing bikes of a certain 'right' size.
Old 07-16-23, 09:06 PM
trashbiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich Record 10spd, Klein Quantum Race r7000

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by chaisu
I'm a small apartment dweller so I falsely assumed I could only have one bike at a time. Thanks for setting me straight. Keeping both bikes is a no brainer now lol
Living in a college dorm, I managed to have 4 bikes with me, one of them being a tandem. Lucky that we had our own bathroom becasue my roomates had bikes too. We ended up with bikes in the bathroom and frames under the sink. When you love bikes enough no space is too small .
Old 07-17-23, 08:06 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by chaisu
Very nice. Thanks for sharing! Since I'm new here, I'm curious what your reasoning was for switching out the brakes? Did it not have originals or were they too far shot? Or is there a noticeable benefit in braking with the Dura Ace 7402? Same question for the 700c conversion. Thanks!
Yes, noticeable difference. The original Diacomp G are sufficient, the pads at this age are probably glazed can be slick. The glaze and be treated or sanded, but that only works for so long. The G can be flexing and feel spongie. Sometimes you can get premium performance, but they can still be spongie. Other times they can slow you just enough to sort of feeling safe. You could need to judge longer brake distances.

The 7402 is a dual pivot from about 1990, these were the first I ever used and it was night and day. Less grip needed, very crisp

I don't want to say you have to swap because you don't have to. The G brakes on different bikes bitd my bike, and my buddy's. My friend's bike would slow you to a stop. My bike was endo front and skid for days.

You can be just fine with the G, sand the pads down for fresh meat or pick up some Koolstop pads.