Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Local news generating hidden hate

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-18, 02:54 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

The local news posted the below linked story. In addition, they ran a promo video of the story early this morning and the full video story this evening. It will be a weeks worth of putting up with motorist hate from it.

After the promo this morning, there were two dumb motorist moves caused by illegal and dangerous passing. 1st was a woman that tried to pass just before a curbed cut right turn guide. She ran out of room to pass, almost ran up the curb and into the traffic light but instead swerved right forcing me off the road.

The second was a guy crossing a double yellow to pass me on a downhill with oncoming traffic headed right at him. I was up to 30 mph when he passed and increasing speed. It would have been a head-on with the oncoming car had the oncoming car not swerved way right at the last second.

It has been a year since the last incident as bad as either of these. So is the timing just coincidence with the news story? Not likely, since similar stories have caused similar bad cycling weeks.

Honolulu is becoming a more bikeable city, but that comes at a c - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

If the local news links the story video in the morning, I will link that as well.

As promised, link to video:
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/14...autostart=true

Last edited by CB HI; 04-11-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-11-18, 03:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
The local news posted the below linked story. In addition, they ran a promo video of the story early this morning and the full video story this evening. It will be a weeks worth of putting up with motorist hate from it.
You know the anti-cyclist drivers' lobby reads every post here. Are you surprised to find that you have been targeted for removal, after some of the things you have posted here?

I am inspired by your post---your bravery to press on revealing their evil scheme in the face of physical threat is deeply moving.

The quadricyclic Automatti are real ... the fact that there is no evidence proves it ... and now we have evidence.

Hmmmm .....
Old 04-11-18, 04:30 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Oh yeah...no doubt lots of "cyclist love" was generated by that story... "they're coming to take your parking..." Jeeze.
Old 04-11-18, 05:50 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Same thing happened here in Toronto with the pilot project on a main street through the centre of the city. That pilot project became permanent and there was lots of vitriol directed toward cyclists.
Old 04-11-18, 06:09 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

This caught my eye ... "'Having less parking does suck,' said Mauro, the Hawaii Kai resident. 'Even if you find parking it's usually paid and that's miserable.'"

Yeah, true misery ... to have to pay to use some of the most expensive real estate on those very expensive islands. What an outrage.

"I drive a car, everything should be free for me ... right? it just makes sense. Why should I have to pay to do anything---even if by doing it I am preventing other people from doing their thing? After all, I drive a car ... like any sane, normal, upright adult."

Hi there. Enjoying the traffic much? I ride a bike .... and I can get around a dense urban area as fast or faster than you, and I can park almost anywhere. For free.

People are kind of funny and kind of pathetic too.

Though I do have to wonder about the government .... I hope that they are actually planning comprehensively. Nothing makes a strong pro-bike government fail faster than not integrating, bikes into the overall transport picture.

I tend to doubt that any drivers are deliberately trying to hit cyclists because of this .... but hey, how can Any of you complain? You all get to live in Hawaii. Not much pity for people who live in paradise, even if there is a lot of traffic.
Old 04-11-18, 06:25 AM
SJM205

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, CAAD4, Trek 820

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Does anybody else want pineapple right now?
Old 04-11-18, 07:03 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
I was stationed in Oahu for 4 years and hated it. My ride to the base was alright, but when I rode anywhere else it was hell. Just too many people on that tiny little island.
Old 04-11-18, 07:30 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
There are anti-bike lane videos on youtube demonstrating how few cyclists are on there.

When I view those videos I take notice the flow of car traffic. Usually it's very smooth, proving the bike lane does not obstruct traffic.
Old 04-11-18, 07:59 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It seems like removing street-side parking on those congested roads will improve their traffic flow, which was noted as their biggest problem on those congested streets. Every motorist who doesn't want to stop in front of Raintree Coffee House should be thanking the cyclists for it.
Old 04-11-18, 09:41 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by wphamilton
It seems like removing street-side parking on those congested roads will improve their traffic flow, which was noted as their biggest problem on those congested streets. Every motorist who doesn't want to stop in front of Raintree Coffee House should be thanking the cyclists for it.
No way dude ... this proves that Bikes Kill Jobs!!!!
Old 04-11-18, 12:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Link to video story added to OP as promised.
also here:
Honolulu is becoming a more bikeable city, but that comes at a p - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Old 04-11-18, 03:11 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe the businesses in front of the new bike pathways should start catering more to the cyclists. Put a bike rack in front of the storefront with a sign: "Cyclists Welcome". It couldn't hurt, and if ridership is up over a 1000 cyclists per day, the businesses are missing out on a new and growing potential clientele.
Old 04-11-18, 03:43 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by MidSouthBiker
Maybe the businesses in front of the new bike pathways should start catering more to the cyclists. Put a bike rack in front of the storefront with a sign: "Cyclists Welcome". It couldn't hurt, and if ridership is up over a 1000 cyclists per day, the businesses are missing out on a new and growing potential clientele.
Unless it is an auto parts store.

(I know, I know ... i can read ... but humor lightens the load and eases the way.)
Old 04-11-18, 05:12 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by MidSouthBiker
They can ask the city to put one in for free. The city has put in several free bike racks shaped like bicycles.

https://www2.honolulu.gov/honolulumyway/?bike

click the 2 bike rack buttons

Think how much business they would get if they managed to get a BIKI station in front of the shop rather than the 2 parking spaces there now.
Old 04-11-18, 05:15 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Unless it is an auto parts store.

(I know, I know ... i can read ... but humor lightens the load and eases the way.)
Yet I have cycled to the auto parts store for my wife's car parts. They did not say a word when I walk my bicycle inside because they did not have a bike rack.
Old 04-11-18, 05:40 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Yet I have cycled to the auto parts store for my wife's car parts. They did not say a word when I walk my bicycle inside because they did not have a bike rack.
Think: "car broken... need parts" Folks biking to an auto parts store actually makes a lot of sense. And running your "dirty bike tires" across the floor... really, have you looked at the floor at auto parts places...

So probably not a big deal... but I bet it is just accepted subconsciously. And that's the thing, for a change in the "American Driver Mind"TM, ya just gotta convince 'em that something is normal... like "bikes in the auto parts store..." or "on the road..."
Old 04-12-18, 12:00 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've bought car parts on the bike, biked to O'Reilly because they were open later than Ace and more likely to have a metric bolt than WalMart, and stopped in a few times because most of them have a soda cooler by the register and a shorter line than the gas station.
Old 04-12-18, 12:18 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
It's spring, when love and idiocy are in full bloom. I seriously doubt that people watch the news, it's happy hour.
Old 04-12-18, 02:25 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Rollfast
It's spring, when love and idiocy are in full bloom. I seriously doubt that people watch the news, it's happy hour.
I understand that you are one of the folks that are not big into local news, but most folks either watch 5 pm , 10 pm or the repeats at 4-8 am in Hawaii.

Two major reasons people watch here, are the roads closures from water main breaks as seen in the video, plus other never ending road work and for the surf report.
Old 04-12-18, 10:30 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
We don't have surf out this way but we DO have a beach at Lucky Peak Reservoir.

And the evening and morning local newscasts repeat for much of the morning on channel 7.2, there is Early Today and today, KLG and Hoda overnight, channel 6 has World News Now and World News This Morning, channel 2 has the CBS Overnight News plus the two PBS signals rerun PBS Newshour.

And 22.11 is the NOAA Weather Radio feed.

Roads are never done here either, Idaho Highway 95 is going through it's repairs that happen every five years or so and Interstate 84 E/W is always being repaired or improved on between The Dalles, Oregon and the Idaho-Nevada border (Wells).

My cat insists I sleep sometime and I do find myself catnapping.

Last edited by Rollfast; 04-12-18 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-12-18, 03:20 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I don't ride in town so no real impact on me one way or the other. I can say I don't really expect to find parking on Pensacola (but normally if I am down there it's to stop in The Bike Shop and they have parking in the back).

HIDoT is looking at removing one of the two lanes on Kam coming up from Kipapa gulch and did a test last week during the day by coning it off. I personally don't really have a problem with the current configuration, but I do see some unsafe IMO passes going downhill (the one-lane side) and restriping the road to provide shoulders would definitely be safer for both passers and passees.

scott s.
Old 04-12-18, 08:07 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by scott967
I don't ride in town so no real impact on me one way or the other. I can say I don't really expect to find parking on Pensacola (but normally if I am down there it's to stop in The Bike Shop and they have parking in the back).

HIDoT is looking at removing one of the two lanes on Kam coming up from Kipapa gulch and did a test last week during the day by coning it off. I personally don't really have a problem with the current configuration, but I do see some unsafe IMO passes going downhill (the one-lane side) and restriping the road to provide shoulders would definitely be safer for both passers and passees.

scott s.
The guy that almost caused the head-on, was southbound downhill through Kipapa Gulch.

The first day of the coning experiment in Kipapa Gulch, a large number of cones on the double yellow lines had been knocked over by the downhill drivers. A clear demonstration of the dangers of the current lane painting.

I have cycled past many head-on collisions in the gulch. During one of them, they were loading the dead woman into an ambulance. Not the only death in the gulch.

After Kam Highway was repaved, they pre-marked the lanes with the plan that they are now saying the experiment is for. In other words, the plan was to paint the lanes with one lane south and one lane north, a 2 foot separation between those lanes and wide shoulders for cyclist and pedestrians. It was the perfect solution to save lives and help cyclist. I would like to really find out who the political jerks were that shut that down and went back to the old deadly paint scheme. I have heard ambulances headed down that way since the repaving, maybe somebody important got sent to the hospital and the safer plan was reborn.
Old 04-13-18, 03:24 AM
Maelochs

The first day of the coning experiment in Kipapa Gulch, a large number of cones on the double yellow lines had been knocked over by the downhill drivers. A clear demonstration of the dangers of the current lane painting.
or a clear demonstration of the force of habit and sluggishness with which peopel adapt to new situations. if after a couple months cones were frequently being knocked down ...

In any case, i hope whatever lane design is adopted is safer for the cyclists who ride there ... but bad science is as dangerous as bad driving ....
Old 04-13-18, 04:33 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Meanwhile HPD was running a sting to get unregistered bikes (in Hawaii registration and a decal are mandatory on all bicycles IIRC over 20" wheel size). Our tax dollars at work while abandoned / partially dismantled cars (probably stolen) are piling up along the PH bike path.

scott s.
Old 04-13-18, 06:43 PM
Maelochs

Oh, the injustice. I am going to buy a ticket to India and tell the families who live on the sidewalks in Mumbai, eating food picked out of trash heaps, how unfair it all is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.