Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rattling front disk caliper

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 01:15 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

I have a bike with SRAM hydraulic disk brakes. I just upgraded my front wheel to a dynamo hub and I reused the brake disc from before. But now I have a rattling front caliper. It started a few hours after I put the new wheel in. Sounds like the pads are rattling against the disc. Kind of annoying sound. Any ideas how that could be resolved?
Thanks
Old 02-21-23, 02:41 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Have you made sure all the bolts are tight? there are only 3 or 8 bolts/fasteners, 2 bolts for the caliper, and 1 (centerlock) or 6 (bolts) for the rotor (if you're using an adapter for the rotor size, check them as well)

Is the wheel correctly attached to the fork? either by QR, Thru axle or whatever fitting your fork has?

If you have hydraulic brakes, it's unlikely that the pads are rattling, as these are self adjusting so should always be in the correct place/not space for rattling/ Would still check that the caliper is centered in relation to the rotor, and the pads are serviceable, i.e. the pads are still attached to the backing plate/there is any pad material?
Likes For jimc101:
Old 02-21-23, 03:35 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Different hubs locate the disc slightly differently, so you need to recenter the caliper for the new hub
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-21-23, 07:27 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I would do what Kontact said above and re-center the calipers, and, it might be a good idea to bleed the brakes also. Also check to see if the rotor bolts actually hold the rotor tight.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 02-22-23, 01:19 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Every time my DB was making noise, it was because the bracket was too close to the outer edge of the disc.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 02-22-23, 12:10 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Thanks everyone. I will look into re-centering the calipers. I am newbie in regards to disk brakes. Need to find some youtube videos how to do it. Never to old to learn something new.
Old 02-22-23, 07:55 PM
OldBike876

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Harhir
Thanks everyone. I will look into re-centering the calipers. I am newbie in regards to disk brakes. Need to find some youtube videos how to do it. Never to old to learn something new.
Centering the calipers isn't a huge deal, I am sure that Park Tools has a video on it.

I had a noise similar to yours, and it turns out that I was very naive how tight the lockring had to be. If you have centre-lock rotors, that is worth a look.
Old 02-23-23, 08:50 AM
Harhir

Originally Posted by OldBike876
Centering the calipers isn't a huge deal, I am sure that Park Tools has a video on it.

I had a noise similar to yours, and it turns out that I was very naive how tight the lockring had to be. If you have centre-lock rotors, that is worth a look.
I did tighten the lock ring very tight. I am pretty sure it is not the disk but the caliper.