Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork replacement-Dawes Horizon 2007

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 05:32 AM
jakehudson11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

The brake bosses have sheered off my Dawes Horizon unfortunately so looking to get new forks (the bosses were attached to the frame, not screw on).

Can anyone help with letting me know what's compatible? I'm looking at the below and was hoping this would do the trick? Really struggling to work my way around headets/forks etc I'm no mechanic!

- Mudguard eyes, low rider bosses, for canti / v brakes
- 1in Steerer (25.4mm external, 22.2mm internal) 24 TPI English thread 26.4mm crown race
- Steerer 240mm (130mm of thread, cut to length)
- 420mm Axle - Crown

Thanks in advance
Old 02-23-23, 07:07 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Have you been to a bike shop? with threaded forks, thinking it would be far easier to get them to order one in, as they take the risk if it doesn't fit

What your looking for (1" and threaded) is getting harder to find, but for a bike shop, could well be far easier than as a consumer.

You may want to specify what country your in, as suggestions to places that may stock/be able to source for you can be given more specifically
Likes For jimc101:
Old 02-23-23, 10:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
I think the OP will find the specific details are not going to be found on a production fork these days. The low rider rack bosses are the big deal breaker. Here in the US the wholesale supplier J&B Imports shows a fork (part # 27029) that is close but lacks the low rider bosses and has an A-C length of only 405mm. It is chrome plated and uses Hi Tensile steels (not CroMoly). It's crown race seat is 27mm, but that's easy to cut down to 26.5 (which is what the seat needs to be to have the 26.4mm race press fit).

Is the OEM fork otherwise still in good shape? I am curious to what kind of booboo happened to damage BOTH canti bosses, and not anything else. If that fork is still good I might consider replacing the brake bosses, grind off the old and brazing on new is not a hard job for those of us with the skills and tools. At one time Problem Solvers offered canti boss shaft replacement kits. If the canti boss base was still in good shape the smooth shaft portion that the arms slide onto would be replaced by the kit's parts, basically a small tube with the correct dimensions to fit the canti arm pivots and be able to be bolted down against the base (after filing the base's seat flat).

If the OP has to replace the fork and has to have the specs as described they might find only a custom fork will fit the bill. Andy