Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Is this Trek 400 Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-23, 08:02 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12782 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
No, he flips but does not do maintenance or upgrades. He wants bikes he can make $25-$50 w/o effort. Nothing wrong with that, FWIW.
Oh I see. Not sure what the market is like in TN at the moment, but it would be tricky to get any profit off of that as a straight flip in AZ right now. Would likely take several months to sell it at cost.
Old 11-20-23, 09:45 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Heh, maybe they got a deal from Sakae - a few thousand triple cranksets, but only some with granny gears on 'em might've been cheaper than buying half actual double cranks.
+1 I have seen these cranks set up as both 2x and 3x OEM on several bikes from around this time it was a cost cutting measure that several makers use so the could use the same cranks on several models. These cranks were designed to work nicely as either a double or a triple.
Old 11-20-23, 10:13 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
+1 I have seen these cranks set up as both 2x and 3x OEM on several bikes from around this time it was a cost cutting measure that several makers use so the could use the same cranks on several models. These cranks were designed to work nicely as either a double or a triple.
Thanks for the clarification. Cost-cutting measures are frequently the answer to mysteries around here.
Old 11-20-23, 06:20 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
No, he flips but does not do maintenance or upgrades. He wants bikes he can make $25-$50 w/o effort. Nothing wrong with that, FWIW.
I can agree with there not being anything wrong with that. But I don't know that I could enjoy flipping. Dealing with some of these people on FB and CL for bikes I want is one thing. But for no more than a 25 to 50 buck return, I gotta stick with something I want to keep.

Old 11-21-23, 01:09 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I can agree with there not being anything wrong with that. But I don't know that I could enjoy flipping. Dealing with some of these people on FB and CL for bikes I want is one thing. But for no more than a 25 to 50 buck return, I gotta stick with something I want to keep.
Oh, I flip a whole lot. Sometimes I even make money but more often than not it just affords me to practice catch and release. That way I can experience more bikes than I have space for.

If I buy a $100 bike I want to ride I could not care less if the previous owner got it for free from a dumpster, I'm just glad that he made it available to me for a price I was happy to pay.
Likes For abdon:
Old 11-24-23, 10:31 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
Oh, I flip a whole lot. Sometimes I even make money but more often than not it just affords me to practice catch and release. That way I can experience more bikes than I have space for.

If I buy a $100 bike I want to ride I could not care less if the previous owner got it for free from a dumpster, I'm just glad that he made it available to me for a price I was happy to pay.
That pretty much sums up my philosophy as well.
And it's easier to do it with bikes than my former obsession...motorcycles.
Old 11-24-23, 11:30 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
That pretty much sums up my philosophy as well.
And it's easier to do it with bikes than my former obsession...motorcycles.
So did you pick it up?