Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Confente Pro-Strada

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-23, 10:07 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Now that he has retired, Rich has enjoyed making a number of tribute bikes. An admirer of Eddy Merckx, he has as a goal to make every one of the bikes Eddy used when he rode for different companies during his career. He spent a long time recreating his hour record bike. That required a lot of study on his part. I'll attach a picture of it. Of course he made it his size instead of Eddy's. I was able to supply him with the correct Columbus seat stays.

You might want to consider getting a frame made by Jeff Bock before he quits. He workshop is in Ames, Iowa (home of Iowa State University). He is an excellent painter as well as builder. There is a limited number of people that can both paint and build to an excellent standard.

Rich Gangl's replica of Eddy Merckx's hour bike

Dare I say that bike is way nicer than Eddy's hour bike??

I know big names were attached to the original, but it is hard to imagine Rich's work being any less than the original. In fact, hard to imagine it would even just be the equal, let alone less. I know I'm speaking out of turn, but I've never before seen bikes so finely crafted.

I'll look up Mr. Bock. Are you still building? Any while I have your ear, are you still in need of bikes for any multinational endeavors?

Old 12-18-23, 12:01 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO

I know big names were attached to the original, but it is hard to imagine Rich's work being any less than the original. In fact, hard to imagine it would even just be the equal, let alone less. I know I'm speaking out of turn, but I've never before seen bikes so finely crafted.

I'll look up Mr. Bock. Are you still building? Any while I have your ear, are you still in need of bikes for any multinational endeavors?
Jeffrey Bock is pretty active on Facebook. Regularly posts what he's building. It's great looking stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/JeffreyBockCustomCycles

Old 12-18-23, 07:59 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO

The best American builders have been able to exceed what was done in the classic era. We can charge much more and as a result take more time. Also our knowledge keeps increasing. The classic builders didn't have any special techniques we don't know about (like the mysteries in how a Stradivarius violin was made) and we have equipped our shops with mills and lathes and fixtures that the old timers didn't have. For example I use a laser cut and etched fixture I've been working on and refining the design ever since I started making frames almost 50 years ago.

I still build and paint frames but only on a limited basis. All my time is spent on teaching framebuilding classes and working on our Ukraine Bicycle Project. Sometimes there is a little time left over for painting frames I've made years ago. I don't now take on frame builds, general repairs or repaints unless they somehow fit into a learning situation. I don't go out of my way to promote myself except what information is available on our Ukraine Bicycle Project website (to save people's inquiry efforts).

What some might not realize is that it is possible to make a very fine frame as a 1st frame in one of my classes. Sometimes a student wants to learn how to make more and sometimes they just want a hand in participating and I'll do the hard parts. I was a high school teacher before I went to learn in England so my approach is very much based on that training and experience. The combination of an educational background and years of being able to refine how a class is taught provides students with a foundation to make some really nice frames. I'll attach a couple of pictures to illustrate what is possible. The red one the student did everything himself so he could learn how to make more and the pearl white frame was a collaboration. I thought she did an extraordinarily job designing and carving the lugs.

It has become complicated to send frames/bicycles from the US to Ukraine.

His lug design includes a Y in both the head and down tube lug that represents his first and last initials of his name.

This student was a botanist and the lug designs were inspired by a trillium flower. The fixture holding the frame is laser cut and etched in Ukraine.