Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Felt weird after riding only short distance with little exertion

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-14, 01:03 PM
RubyBelle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi. Just bought a bike after 20 years of no bike and I'm loving it. I'm just having fun - sure - want to be more in shape - but less interested in how far/how hard I ride, and more in just enjoying it and playing. So far, so good - been loving it - remembering how great it is to be on a bike. Taking easy rides - 9 miles is the farthest I've gone. Riding once or twice/week.

Yesterday, after a normal day of work, I went for a sweet little ride -very easy - no hills - rode for about 50 minutes ish. Out of nowhere, about 40-45 minutes in, I felt unstable on the bike - was having a hard time balancing, slightly dizzy, but mostly unbalanced, felt like my legs were on 'auto-pilot' and like I had little stamina. Very strange and uncomfortable. Had eaten normally that day - don't have any kind of conditions that would spark low blood sugar for no reason. I've heard of bonking, but seems that only happens to serious riders on long or high exertion rides. Anyone experience this or heard of it? It was kind of alarming and would like to prevent it happening again if I can figure out what 'it' was. Thanks!
Old 10-07-14, 01:12 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
First, you may want to check with your doctor.

Your body can deplete stores of easily available energy even if you are not riding hard. You could also be dealing with dehydration if you are one of the many that don't drink enough water, especially if it is hot in your area.

You shouldn't have to either eat or drink within 45 minutes unless something else is at play, but it may be a good habit so that you can take longer rides when you want to.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 10-07-14, 01:58 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on consult your Health Care Provider and possible dehydration as well. I had some blood work done for the first time in years and even though I thought I was healthy, the results showed some issues- most of which were caught early enough and should be able to avoid the meds with tweaking the nutrition and exercise regimens.
Old 10-07-14, 04:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
+2 for seek medical attention. It is recommended that we get a complete physical before beginning an exercise program.

+2 for dehydration. How much did you have to drink that day?
Old 10-08-14, 08:07 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Certainly sounds like a bonk,though from your description of the circumstances that normally wouldn't be expected. My wife is a bit hypoglycemic and can bonk very easily and unexpectedly at times.
Old 10-08-14, 08:20 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Im diabetic so I bonk all the time, and by bonking I mean my sugar drops. Sounds like you may have had a low blood sugar. Remedy? Take a break drink/eat something with carbs or sugar. Maybe go to your doc if it becomes a regular thing.
Old 10-08-14, 01:42 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
See your doctor. Work up slowly.
Old 10-12-14, 02:29 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the doctor. I had similar symptoms as a well-conditioned runner many years ago, and an EKG found that I was in atrial fibrillation. It's dangerous if not treated, but I've had no more problems in 25 years. I don't even think about it anymore.
Old 10-12-14, 03:12 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Another vote for the doctor. I had similar symptoms as a well-conditioned runner many years ago, and an EKG found that I was in atrial fibrillation. It's dangerous if not treated, but I've had no more problems in 25 years. I don't even think about it anymore.
I don't want to get too personal so I'd understand if you prefer to ignore this comment but could you explain what treatment that entailed for you i.e. was it a one time treatment or is it something that requires ongoing maintenance?