Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I may have a fit problem

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I may have a fit problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 01:45 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,168 Times in 1,324 Posts
That may be. You might also need to change saddles.

It can sometimes be a fine line. I’ve gone to a 2 bolt micro adjust seat post. I changed saddles a little while back and over the course of a couple rides I’d stop and make a slight adjustment. It was a good investment for me.

A trainer can be a good place to get an initial setup. Ideally you would like to sit up hands free while on the trainer, can be tough with age, and not fight the saddle angle.

John
Old 04-13-24, 03:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
It puzzles me that I was fine for 10-12 miles.
I am getting pressure against my penis that is uncomfortable after about 5 miles.
I may be too far forward on the saddle.
so, again, saddle tilt nose down - if you 'level' the saddle or get close to level, you will likely also need to Drop the saddle a bit.
your leg/hip/torso angles will change when you do this, the body will need to adapt to that... time...
at some point, after adaptation, you may find raising the saddle a bit will feel good again.

time in the saddle - 10-12 regular miles is what you're accustomed to ? then 15 is a significant change (worth making)
if you're average riding at 15 mph then it takes you 12 more minutes to do 15 miles rather than 12.
if you're average 12 mph it takes 15 minutes more to do 3 more miles (12 miles to 15)
if you average 10 mph, it takes 18 minutes more to go the 3 miles further (12 to 15)
that 25% or more longer ride... more butt on the saddle, hands holding up the torso... more time with pressure...
all good,
as noted by others, there are hand positions which reduce hand numbness....
ride on
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 04-13-24 at 03:45 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 04-13-24, 05:48 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Saddle tilt.

Raise the nose of the saddle.

John
Ditto
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-13-24, 06:04 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Ditto
I will try that.
I think I am sitting too far forward on the saddle.
Where the saddle nose was putting pressure doesn’t seem right.
I will raise the nose and maybe move the saddle forward- or sit further back.
I am also going to rotate the handlebars more forward.

Basically it sounds like I am going to throw as many variables into the situation as I can. 😄
Old 04-13-24, 06:15 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

I will try that.
I think I am sitting too far forward on the saddle.
Where the saddle nose was putting pressure doesn’t seem right.
I will raise the nose and maybe move the saddle forward- or sit further back.
I am also going to rotate the handlebars more forward.

Basically it sounds like I am going to throw as many variables into the situation as I can. 😄
Before moving the handlebars, I would start with the seat. Like my dear wife likes to remind me, the entire world (of bike fit) revolves around my a.... A downward tilting seat actually puts more pressure on your perineum? area because your body is forced forward and down, also creating more weight on your arms and wrists. Note-I'm not a fitter by any stretch, but I've done a lot of trial and error over the years and I know what works for me. Hopefully some of the knowledge on this forum will work for you too. So far it appears that everyone is in agreement, so we're either all wrong or all right haha. Good luck, Smokey
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-13-24, 06:47 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Before moving the handlebars, I would start with the seat. Like my dear wife likes to remind me, the entire world (of bike fit) revolves around my a.... A downward tilting seat actually puts more pressure on your perineum? area because your body is forced forward and down, also creating more weight on your arms and wrists. Note-I'm not a fitter by any stretch, but I've done a lot of trial and error over the years and I know what works for me. Hopefully some of the knowledge on this forum will work for you too. So far it appears that everyone is in agreement, so we're either all wrong or all right haha. Good luck, Smokey
I went in my garage just now and made 2 adjustments.
When I checked my seat with a torpedo level it was nose down. I adjusted it to level. I can fine tune it from there.
I also rotated the bars so the bottom of the drops are level with the ground by eyeballing it.
This moved the hoods slightly forward. I will test ride tomorrow and see if the seat needs to be moved forward or back or down.
It was nose down enough that this might be the main problem. It was more than a full bubble nose down. I may have put it in that position due to this Cobb saddle having a slight “hump” near the front.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 04-14-24, 07:06 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
I suggest a proper bike fit by someone who knows what they are doing.
Understand that it takes the body some time to adjust to a new position and may/will feel odd and possibly uncomfortable depending on how bad your current set up is.
Too many people make fit changes willy nilly and far to often without letting their bodies adapt resulting in never getting it right and constant problems.
A daily regimen of stretching should be part of everyone's life especially as we age but so few people bother to do so.
Same with strength exercises...so few people bother, especially the most important core exercises.
Until you get a proper bike fit and take the necessary time for your body to adapt...without changing something every day...and start stretching regularly you are never going to achieve comfort.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 04-15-24, 01:17 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I will get pics of my current riding posture before adjusting anything.
I did notice an improvement in how my legs felt when I sat further back on the seat but I kept moving slightly forward. The seat is also putting eventually putting pressure on the base of the bottom of my penis. I want to slightly tip the nose of my saddle down. It’s a Cobb Randee if that makes any difference.
What you said here gives me a few clues. Pressure on your underside as you describe can be the result of your butt being too far forward on the saddle or the saddle being too far back. I would find your KOPS position, and adjust saddle fore -aft (with level saddle) so your sitbonesare on the widest portion of the saddle. Pedal backwards in that position (I am usually with upright back at this point) and raise the saddle until hip rocking just begins - a little motion but not pronounced. This is a plausible position for your saddle and hips. Now if as you pedal you are starting to slide forward, raise teh nose of the saddle just a little bit (less than 1/32") until you stop sllding You may need to raise or lower the seatpost just a bit after this. In these akjustment iterations, you will probably find you can't move it in a small enough increment to feel. That's the best you can do on that day, so congratulations!

This sort of cycling is hard to describe, but I feel it gets the job done for me.

In your situation (I don't want to say "in your position" or "in your condition" since, honestly, who am I to talk?) I would want to have my PBH measured so I could use the 0.885 saddle height, KOPS, and saddle angle/hip rotation as first approximations of saddle placement. As an engineer we can say my whole career has ben bsed on numbers, but I think you only need one or two solid facts to get started when trying to solve a problem. I usually set this fitting baseline up whenever I want to play with a new toy or have forgotten what my old toys are like. Several rides are needed then, and then more with small adjustments as my distance/comfort confidence grows. I think this will be the first time in a few years, due to Covid, long covid, and some spousal reactions to all of this.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 04-15-24, 01:34 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

I went in my garage just now and made 2 adjustments.
When I checked my seat with a torpedo level it was nose down. I adjusted it to level. I can fine tune it from there.
I also rotated the bars so the bottom of the drops are level with the ground by eyeballing it.
This moved the hoods slightly forward. I will test ride tomorrow and see if the seat needs to be moved forward or back or down.
It was nose down enough that this might be the main problem. It was more than a full bubble nose down. I may have put it in that position due to this Cobb saddle having a slight “hump” near the front.
Kudos on the work done so far, but I would not just slide your saddle forward. The saddle affects a lot that has little to do with the bars. If your reach is too long, I would look for an affordable way to move the bars closer to teh saddle - maybe 1 cm? You may be able to find a used or take-off stem that is either adjustable or is a centimeter or so shorter.

Also earlier in this thread, it was noted that your brake levers were kind of high and hence pulled back on your handlebars. Often it is recomended that the tip of the brake lever be right on a line with the bottom edge of the handle bar drop This moves the top of the brifter (or Ergopower or whatever) forward, increasing your need to move the bars back toward the saddle by just the right amount. But if you are thinking about adjusting your reach, now would be the time to also adjust your brifter to handlebar positioning. It can be made to happen with a shorter reach stem or a shorter reach handlebar. FSA has a series of Compact designs which my wife likes a lot on her bike. A wonderful but slightly older design is the 3TTT Ergonova and Aeronova designs.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 04-15-24, 07:58 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked 1,894 Times in 1,088 Posts
. . .
. . .
not a fan of the seat if it has a hump (or whatever) near the front
Likes For t2p:
Old 04-15-24, 09:26 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by t2p
not a fan of the seat if it has a hump (or whatever) near the front
If I can’t get it comfortable I will look for another saddle.
Old 04-15-24, 09:28 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

If I can’t get it comfortable I will look for another saddle.
You might want to consider a saddle with the cut out to take the pressure off your perineum. I switched to a Body Geometry that I picked up used about 2 years ago and will never go back. What a difference.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 04-15-24, 09:35 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I forgot that I replaced my original saddle with this Cobb because my butt was hurting when I first started riding. I got it set pretty well then decided to install my original Specialized saddle again to try. It still wasn’t comfortable so I re-installed the Cobb. I think my original saddle was too narrow. M after I re-installed this Cobb it was a little taller than the Specialized but it felt ok. I may not have it correct forward or back.
I think my arms were sore back then too but I adjusted the saddle position and fixed it.
I have work to do.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 04-15-24, 09:44 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

You might want to consider a saddle with the cut out to take the pressure off your perineum. I switched to a Body Geometry that I picked up used about 2 years ago and will never go back. What a difference.
I originally had a Specialized Body Geometry Toupe saddle. If I can’t get this Cobb to work I may try it again. I swapped it because my butt hurt but I wasn’t used to riding then and I have better bib shorts now. They might be good now.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 04-15-24 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 04:14 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 405 Posts
All this bike fit advice is great...

But remember - you are a new rider and road bikes are not inherently comfortable machines. Bikes in general are not very comfortable...

Even with a pro top of the line bike fit - as you progress into longer rides, more saddle time - things will hurt.

You may get dialed in and ride a comfortable 20-30 miles, then attempt your first long ride - new things may (probably will) hurt at mile 50, then something else at mile 70...
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-16-24, 08:15 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Jughed
All this bike fit advice is great...

But remember - you are a new rider and road bikes are not inherently comfortable machines. Bikes in general are not very comfortable...

Even with a pro top of the line bike fit - as you progress into longer rides, more saddle time - things will hurt.

You may get dialed in and ride a comfortable 20-30 miles, then attempt your first long ride - new things may (probably will) hurt at mile 50, then something else at mile 70...
This pain was different from being uncomfortable. My arms are still a little sore.
This happened before. I think I posted here about it. I’m going to search my past posts and check what I did.
Old 04-16-24, 03:07 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I rode 12 miles today. With the handlebars rotated forward it felt a little different but nothing big. The nose of the seat started applying pressure but not as bad.
I still have a fair amount of weight on my hands. I will see how it feels tomorrow before I adjust anything.
My arms were getting sore but that may be left from Friday.
Old 04-16-24, 04:11 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Are you sure you've got your Cobb saddle set up correctly? I looked for a document on the website, but couldn't find instructions. It looks to me as if the seat is designed for you to sit pretty far forward. I recommend calling Cobb.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-16-24, 04:20 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by philbob57
Are you sure you've got your Cobb saddle set up correctly? I looked for a document on the website, but couldn't find instructions. It looks to me as if the seat is designed for you to sit pretty far forward. I recommend calling Cobb.
No, I am not sure. I bought it new-old stock so it didn’t come with paperwork.
Old 04-17-24, 03:10 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Many bike fitters say that a surprisingly high proportion of riders have their saddles too high. Adjusting a saddle's nose down in quest of comfort can be a sign that the saddle's height should be reduced.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-17-24, 06:39 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Many bike fitters say that a surprisingly high proportion of riders have their saddles too high. Adjusting a saddle's nose down in quest of comfort can be a sign that the saddle's height should be reduced.
That is easy enough to try.
Old 04-17-24, 08:29 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
That may be. You might also need to change saddles.

It can sometimes be a fine line. I’ve gone to a 2 bolt micro adjust seat post. I changed saddles a little while back and over the course of a couple rides I’d stop and make a slight adjustment. It was a good investment for me.

A trainer can be a good place to get an initial setup. Ideally you would like to sit up hands free while on the trainer, can be tough with age, and not fight the saddle angle.

John
That is a very good way to say it!!!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 04-17-24, 10:47 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Road Fan
That is a very good way to say it!!!
I didn’t think about that. I think I have a trainer in the garage.
Old 04-17-24, 10:57 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

This Cobb saddle keeps putting pressure in a bad area.
I am going to put my original saddle back on. My original complaint with it was my sit bones getting sore but that was probably because I had just started riding.
It’s a Specialized Body Geometry Toupe RBX so it isn’t some cheap bad saddle.
I will take tools and work on getting it adjusted.
Old 04-17-24, 11:12 AM
1979schwinn 

Bikes: 79 Schwinn & 2017 Fuji Tread 2.0

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Hydrate hydrate
Likes For 1979schwinn:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.