Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is One Flat Pedal Really Any Better Than Another?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-24, 12:56 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

The pedals that came with my bike (Raleigh Hybrid) are these SPD (?) Pedals. The seller referred to them as mountain bike pedals. One side is for clipless and theoretically the other side is flat. Problem is, about half the time, the pedals are wrong side up and I have to fool with them to flip them with my foot. That's problematic in the city with traffic, say, at a light.

I was going to buy the same Walmart cheapies that I bought before but I got a couple unsolicited negative comments on here (can ya believe it?) about them. I don't care about the negativity, but I was wondering if, other than aesthetics and negligible weight differences, does it really matter whether I get $12 Walmarts or $40 Rock Bros flat pedals?
Old 03-31-24, 01:13 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
The pedals that came with my bike (Raleigh Hybrid) are these SPD (?) Pedals. The seller referred to them as mountain bike pedals. One side is for clipless and theoretically the other side is flat. Problem is, about half the time, the pedals are wrong side up and I have to fool with them to flip them with my foot. That's problematic in the city with traffic, say, at a light.

I was going to buy the same Walmart cheapies that I bought before but I got a couple unsolicited negative comments on here (can ya believe it?) about them. I don't care about the negativity, but I was wondering if, other than aesthetics and negligible weight differences, does it really matter whether I get $12 Walmarts or $40 Rock Bros flat pedals?
Nope. If you don’t care about quality materials, bearings and construction, it doesn’t matter.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-31-24, 01:18 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 392 Posts
The Walmart pedals will do, just make sure you’re prepared to replace them every few weeks when they break.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-31-24, 01:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,010 Times in 2,677 Posts
Yes one flat pedal is better than another. As smd4 said you have materials and construction and of course bearings which are extremely important. You can go for cheap pedals and they will be cheap pedals in all senses. If you don't care then you don't care but quality pedals will last longer and spin better and be more comfortable. A nice flat pedal will have good grip and hopefully a nice comfortable platform that supports your foot.

In terms of Rock "Bros" they make fake and knockoff products under a knockoff name (taken from Crank Brothers) they are not of quality and not something I would ever support in any way shape or form.

If you want good but cheap pedals Race Face Chesters and Crank Brothers Stamp 1s are good options. If you like loose ball stuff MKS makes some excellent pedals I love the Gammas or if you don't want grip pins the Lambdas. If you want my top favorites Crank Brothers Stamp 7s are fantastic, good wide body, excellent bearings and bushings and they look good.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-31-24, 02:02 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 874 Times in 492 Posts
A cheap plastic pedal is slippery when wet. If your foot slips off it hurts like a mutha.

If you get a pedal with metal pins to grip your shoe, you’re way less likely to ever slip off. Yeah, it’ll really hurt if you slip off those, but in my experience, it just doesn’t happen.

There are loads of quality sub $50 pedals with metal pins. Look at those.
Old 03-31-24, 03:05 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
As stated already, yes, there's a big difference. You don't necessarily gotta spend $150 bucks, but generic, no-name pedals won't hold up long, and just aren't worth the hassle or the "savings".
I can also vouch for the Race Face Chester's , or even the slightly cheaper version without the little pins (I forget what they're called).
I found the pins were chewing up my tennis shoes, so I'd screw them down into the pedal, and haven't missed them, and have since ordered a set without the pins.
Anyway, my Chester's have been running for a few years, bounced aroun between several bikes, and are still smooth and solid. It's been a little while, but I paid a little under $40 each, IIRC.

Last edited by Brocephus; 03-31-24 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-31-24, 03:25 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
In our shop we saw plenty of Rock Bros pedals come through with bushing failure or body failure. They are not at all suited for mountain biking as they are not sturdy enough for that use. For commuting on the cheap side one can do better than Rock Bros. Try Wellgo. We used them in the shop without any real issues. They should go a good number of years in commuter mode.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 03-31-24, 04:43 PM
squachie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
For those dual platform pedals, check out Mini clips. they are like a straped toe clip without the strap. they will orient the pedal correctly. but you will have to remove them to go spd.
Old 03-31-24, 04:51 PM
squachie

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
dunno exactly what you have. here is an example. for these you wpould remove the spd part and add the toe clips. simple as that

Likes For squachie:
Old 03-31-24, 05:07 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked 7,699 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
.., does it really matter whether I get $12 Walmarts or $40 Rock Bros flat pedals?
The Walmart pedals I've been on don't really hold your feet very well, especially when wet. The $45 Rock Bros pedals I saw in Google search have metal pins, which I don't care for either, they can really gouge your shins/calves.

Odyssey Twisted and Cult Daks are two of my favorite flat pedals. Usually about $20.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-31-24, 05:07 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I'm very happy with the apparent high quality of these Shimano pedals. Good colour choices too.

U.S. pricing would be maybe 2/3 ( or less ? ) of what's shown here.

Shimano PD-EF205 Flat Platform Pedal - bikes.com.au

Spotlight: Shimano PD-EF202 and EF205 casual flat pedals review - Velo (outsideonline.com)

Last edited by redshift1; 03-31-24 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added review link.
Old 03-31-24, 05:13 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,168 Times in 1,324 Posts
Originally Posted by squachie
dunno exactly what you have. here is an example. for these you wpould remove the spd part and add the toe clips. simple as that

This is what I would do. I’ve never tried to remove a SPD mechanism before, but it appears a Phillips screwdriver will do it.

John
Old 03-31-24, 06:05 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 97 Posts
Better in which way?

Two pairs from a local bicycle shop and I don't recall the brands. First pair broke after two years. The replacement pedals purchased without research from the local bike shop during 2020 pandemic shortages were way too expensive and very solid but they have the metal pins that really hold my shoes. On the other hand the pins destroyed my shoe soles.
Old 03-31-24, 06:14 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
.......... Try Wellgo. We used them in the shop without any real issues. They should go a good number of years in commuter mode.
I second this recommendation (I intended to in my earlier post but couldn't manage to recall WELLGO)
Anyway, Ive run basic, low-end Wellgos on several bikes over the years, and never had a problem.

Last edited by Brocephus; 04-05-24 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Spelling correction...
Likes For Brocephus:
Old 03-31-24, 06:18 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 350 Posts
While the pins destroy my shoe soles also, I will sacrifice shoes (usually Sketchers or Avias) to avoid feet slipping off the pedal. When I MTBed I also wanted pedals that the dirt and mud could fall through and not build up on. Despite everyone screaming bad things about them, I really like the RockBros 4 bearing pedals. In fact, I like them so much I ditched the SPD's and put them on my road bikes. They're alloy with 4 shim style bearings and 16 replaceable pins per pedal. They run about 25 bucks/pair now and I've not had a problem with one yet after almost 5 years of hard use between MTBing and Road use @7000 miles/year.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 03-31-24, 06:37 PM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 176 Posts
Who knows - you might get lucky with the cheapo pedals and find a pair that really work out. The safe bet is to spend about 30-40 bucks, get a decent set, and be done with it. Another workable and free option is to keep stealing pedals from garbage bikes. I just got tired of the "free" route myself and bought a pair of "Chester" pedals. They say Chester right on them, which is cool because my youngest son is named Chester and one day they will be his.
Old 03-31-24, 07:38 PM
RoadWearier

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Well...I put a couple hundred miles on the Walmarts and my foot never slipped. Can't say that about the pedals I have now. To your point, I did break a piece off scraping into a turn when I forgot to keep the pedals at 9 and 3 o'clock but they were very much usable. They don't have those screws poking up to keep my feet on them but they have those serated teeth on the sides that work ok and don't chew up my shoes.
They turn fine and I guess when too.kucj finally breaks off I'll just get new ones and still be ahead.
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 03-31-24, 07:59 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
I would not sweat the inexpensive platform pedals.
Who cares if they blow up in a year or two and you have to spend another $20, not a big deal for most people.
I have larger feet so I prefer a pedal with a larger platform to support more of my foot. That makes a big difference for me.
I use skate shoes when I ride with platform pedals and the pins do not seem to affect the bottoms of the shoes at all.
My latest platform pedal is the MKS Lambda EZY.
They are a quick release model for my Bike Friday. (They also make a standard model)
They have raised dimples instead of pins. Traction has not been an issue.
I like them a lot, smooth, seem to be well built and look pretty sharp.
Old 03-31-24, 08:06 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
I always buy the best components I can. In cycling, you pretty much get what you pay for. It’s not a cheap hobby/sport, but there will always be those folks who think it is.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-31-24, 08:47 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Billions of people around the world ride on plastic pedals just fine.

Expensive pedals have sealed bearings that will stay smooth for longer and may have metal pins that improve grip. Neither is a big deal.
Likes For Yan:
Old 03-31-24, 08:57 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 58 Posts
I have Hope F20 pedals on two bikes one of which has done around 10,000 miles without a problem, fully serviceable with re-build kits available including replacement pins, top quality made in Yorkshire and about £120 or $150 for the latest model, they even make replacement spindles in titanium if you want to spend more money.
Old 03-31-24, 10:09 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Run what you like. I find it easier to get hamstring engagement with flat pedals that have set screws/metal pins, but YMMV. For commuting I use whatever is in my spare parts drawer.
Old 03-31-24, 10:21 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 300 Posts
I am a bit of a clipless heretic. I ride only flats. If you shop Amazon, check out Venzo multiuse pedals. Flat on one side with studs for grip, and the other side has SPD compatible clip system. I have them on both my tri bikes. I have just removed the SPD system since I never clip in, just to save that tiny bit of weight. They have a pretty small platform, smaller than the typical MTB platform. Price is <$50 and seem to be well made (not Chinesium, yay!).
Old 03-31-24, 11:21 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 150 Posts
I like a larger platform to support my feet better. I don’t remember the brand, but they are pinned and seem to be holding up quite well so far - put them on six or eight months ago, replaced the wellgos and have been much happier with the larger pedal. Using Adidas5/10 Freerider shoes for workouts and event rides, and the pins do mark the soles, but haven’t torn them up. Commuting to work (very short distance) I just use whatever shoes I’m going to wear at work.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 04-01-24, 12:11 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
No, I prefer having another, much easier to pedal with two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.