Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cantilever upgrade for Miyata 1000?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23, 08:57 AM
Fuji1986

Bikes: 1989 Miyata 618GT, 1986 Fuji Sagres

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

I finally scored a nice '85 Miyata 1000 last summer and am now in the process of refitting it. That includes an upgrade from the original brakes, which no longer look too good. But I'm a bit in the dark about modern cantilever brakes, which I heard were designed for the wider canti post spacing on today's bikes. If that's the case, what are my options? One brake that caught my eye is the Tektro CR510, which was recently discontinued but is still available. Has anyone refit a vintage touring bike with a modern canti? I'm not interested in V-brakes. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-26-23, 10:27 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 961 Posts
You should be fine with that swap, v-brakes would require new levers
Old 03-26-23, 11:26 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuji1986
I finally scored a nice '85 Miyata 1000 last summer and am now in the process of refitting it. That includes an upgrade from the original brakes, which no longer look too good. But I'm a bit in the dark about modern cantilever brakes, which I heard were designed for the wider canti post spacing on today's bikes. If that's the case, what are my options? One brake that caught my eye is the Tektro CR510, which was recently discontinued but is still available. Has anyone refit a vintage touring bike with a modern canti? I'm not interested in V-brakes. Thanks for any input.
I think too much is made of the post spacing of old bikes and using new cantilevers on them. The width may have changed but I’m reasonably certain that they changed before the age of your bike. I had a 83 Miyata 610 from 1983 to 2003. I changed cantilevers on it a few times over that time period and never had any issues with width or fitting the brakes to the bike. The larger problem was going from a 27” wheel (630mm bead seat diameter) to a 700C (622 BSD). The 4mm difference is often difficult to adapt for on more modern brakes.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-26-23, 01:45 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I don't see why there would be any issue. You're swapping one older brand of canti for a new canti brand and model. I've got an older Miyata frame (it was stripped to bare metal early but my memory tells me it's a 1000) and I just checked and the posts are spaced at 78mm. And my MUCH newer Soma Double Cross has the canti posts at the same spacing. So unless you're going to covert from 27's to 700c there won't be an issue.... well.... other than the new blinding shiny....
Old 03-26-23, 06:56 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 849 Posts
I just installed a set of dia compe 980's and they look right to me.