Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike locks on tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike locks on tour

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23, 06:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,541 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
that sucker won't be out of my line-of-sight for more than a few seconds unless I can bring it inside.
Going to sleep with one eye open?

My bike won’t fit inside my tents or their vestibules.
Old 03-27-23, 05:43 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
... If I ever do any more touring, I will keep the key battery in mind if I drive my car.
I have never drained a key battery from it being packed poorly. But my first couple trips after I was diagnosed with diabetes, I kept finding my blood sugar meter battery was dead from the way the meter was packed. So, now I have some extra plastic that functions as a guard for when the meter is packed, a button on it can't be pressed if it is packed too tightly.

So, learning from the meter experience, I might as well be careful with my vehicle key too. Thus, the key goes into a plastic bag and that goes into part of a plastic bottle.

Vehicle key, if the battery is dead, the vehicle should still be unlockable, lockable, and drivable the old fashioned way. So, less critical than my meter that stopped functioning. That said, there are so many different vehicle electronic systems now, on some it might be more critical?
Old 04-03-23, 04:57 PM
dvdwmth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Side note, last summer I was going to leave my bike at a large municipal campground for a week, I needed it to shuttle my vehicle on a backpacking trip. I chose the bike that I paid $5 USD for a decade ago at a garage sale. The bike had been stored outside for a decade before I bought it. I put two days of work and about $50 into it to make it rideable again, but it is really rusty and looks much worse than it really is. A 1994 Bridgestone MB-1. I would be bummed if it was stolen, but there is more rust than paint on the steel handlebar and stem, so I felt very comfortable that it would not be stolen after a week.

I think I used a $5 lock on it to match what I paid for the bike.

So, got any immediate plans to leave your undesirable Bridgestone MB-1 anywhere soon? Date, time and location maybe?

Even ho hum 90s steel mountain bikes are all the rage. That one is a famous culty one amongst a certain set.
Old 04-17-23, 06:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdwmth
So, got any immediate plans to leave your undesirable Bridgestone MB-1 anywhere soon? Date, time and location maybe?

Even ho hum 90s steel mountain bikes are all the rage. That one is a famous culty one amongst a certain set.
I will let you know, but it will probably be after the fact. Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town.