Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seatpost clamp and saddle rail compatibility question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-23, 08:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6966 Post(s)
Liked 10,965 Times in 4,690 Posts

Hi all. Am looking at this saddle, which includes this line in the product description: "Oversized carbon rails for lightweight strength (specific seat post ear clamps required)." I believe the rails are 7x10mm.

Would be using the saddle with this seatpost, which includes this line in the product description: "and the clamp works with all saddle rail types." I have used this seatpost with 7x9 carbon rails, but not 7x10.

Opinions and experiences welcome. I know that I can just stick the saddle on the post and try it -- but, as with all things carbon fiber, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and all of that.
Old 03-22-23, 09:11 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I would contact Zipp or Bontager if they have approved seatposts that can fit those rails. 1mm over the recommended max is a pretty big difference and you don't want to risk crushing the rails.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-22-23, 09:59 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Different rails are different vertically. That seatpost clamps vertically, so it doesn't care about a few extra millimeters. Those clamp screws need to be extra long to be able to also change saddle angle.

Side clamping seatposts are the ones that need specific insert for different side-height rails. They are dumb.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-22-23, 10:49 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2240 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Enve packs two different fittings with their seatpost; one for the normal sized rails and one for the carbon rail size. So I suspect it is the same with other manufacturers, or at least some will sell you the modified fitting.

I got the Enve side clamp one and although Kontact thinks it is dumb, it is a vast improvement over the other kind for micro-adjusting tilt etc.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-23-23, 06:06 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Enve packs two different fittings with their seatpost; one for the normal sized rails and one for the carbon rail size. So I suspect it is the same with other manufacturers, or at least some will sell you the modified fitting.

I got the Enve side clamp one and although Kontact thinks it is dumb, it is a vast improvement over the other kind for micro-adjusting tilt etc.
What's wrong with the two bolt Zipp stem for microadjusting vs the two bolt Enve system? You have to loosen one, tighten the other in both cases. But with the Enve you have to disassemble it to get the full angle range and you have different side plates for different rails, while the Zipp does both as is.
Old 03-23-23, 06:30 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
PSA: Miche Super Type will not accommodate other than round rails. Probably a contributing reason why it is no longer available.
P1050080 on Flickr
Old 03-23-23, 10:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6966 Post(s)
Liked 10,965 Times in 4,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
I would contact Zipp or Bontager if they have approved seatposts that can fit those rails. 1mm over the recommended max is a pretty big difference and you don't want to risk crushing the rails.
Good idea! Called Zipp, and a human being answered(!) He says it is fine.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Might be worth a try, then. The Zipp two-bolt head is rock-solid once it's all set up, but it's a ***** to set up. Hard to adjust the tilt and still have both bolts set at the torque spec. I once asked a mechanic if there's a trick to it...He laughed and said, "That's at least a two-beer job." Salsa used to sell a seatpost called "Shaft" which was a standard top clamp with a separate hex bolt that allowed easy tilt adjustment. It was pure genius: a tad heavier than a standard seatpost, but well worth it.