Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Europe
Reload this Page >

Biking Madrid to Barcelona -- nice or crazy?

Search
Notices
Europe Europe

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 10:15 AM
eddierex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to bike from Madrid to Barcelona.
Am I naive about that trip? I don't see that ride posted anywhere, does that mean it's all highways and not doable by bike?
Old 08-28-12, 12:11 AM
girona
biciclista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eddierex
I want to bike from Madrid to Barcelona.
Am I naive about that trip? I don't see that ride posted anywhere, does that mean it's all highways and not doable by bike?
I just replied to your other post. It's doable, of course, here is a possible route that someone has already done:
https://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2276763
I guess it's not a very popular route for cycletourists.

I use wikiloc and bikeroutetoaster.com to plan cycling routes.

Cheers
Old 09-03-12, 09:13 PM
eddierex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very helpful, thanks. That's what I was looking for, a realistic take on that route, so thanks. I'll look up your links now.

I guess we'll ride along the coast out of Barcelona instead. Maybe doesn't sound as cool, but a couple of weeks on bikes in Spain sounds fun to me no matter where we start.
Old 04-26-13, 03:19 AM
GoodyBlueShoes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eddierex

Did you do the Madrid to Barca trip? We are doing a charity gig early 2014. Madrid - Barcelona - Paris - Bruxelles - Amsterdam - London.

We have done much initial scoping as we are attempting the distance in 16 days. Madrid to Barca is the unknown at present as little data is available. Do you have info?

Best regards

Goody
Old 04-29-13, 07:03 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodyBlueShoes
Eddierex

Did you do the Madrid to Barca trip? We are doing a charity gig early 2014. Madrid - Barcelona - Paris - Bruxelles - Amsterdam - London.

We have done much initial scoping as we are attempting the distance in 16 days. Madrid to Barca is the unknown at present as little data is available. Do you have info?

Best regards

Goody

Barcelona, Barna, BCN. Never Barca, unless you're talking football. ;-)
Old 05-02-13, 08:44 AM
eddierex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
madrid to barcelona

Nope, we didn't do that trip. When I researched it, turns out there's a reason few people do it -- it's all highways, it's really difficult to plot out a route that works well.

We ended up taking the train from Madrid to Barcelona, then biking along the Catalonian coast toward France -- and that trip was one of the best of my life. So beautiful, medieval castles, white beaches, amazing food, different culture, even the language is slightly different.

Again, the highways around Barcelona are difficult to navigate, so we ended up taking the train out of Barcelona a short ways, then biking, once we got to the road that hugs the coast.

Cannot recommend it highly enough. Tossa de Mar is phenomenally romantic and beautiful.

Originally Posted by GoodyBlueShoes
Eddierex

Best regards

Goody
Old 05-07-13, 02:54 PM
eddierex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
barcelona north along the coast

Originally Posted by lucille
Barcelona, Barna, BCN. Never Barca, unless you're talking football. ;-)
Take the train out of Barcelona to Blanes, then there's pretty much one road along the coast, with a wide enough shoulder so it's not scary. Mild-to-medium rise and fall of hills along the Costa Brava ("Wild Coast"), perfect for a late beginner or early intermediate bicyclist. Gorgeous beaches, lots of hidden rocky coves, some sea caves, old castles. We went through all the towns: Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar, Sant Filiu de Guixols, Platja d'Aro, Figueres. If you stay in Tossa, the Cap d'Or hostel is the absolute best, great food in their restaurant, too, up the hill near the castle is the best sangria I ever had. Inland from Tossa is the phenomenally beautiful Girona, I'd guess it's about 17km from the coast. Farther up the coast is Golf de Roses and Cap de Cervera, rocky areas, some beaches, no tourists right now, it's offseason.
Old 05-07-13, 05:25 PM
lucille

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take the train out of Barcelona to Blanes, then there's pretty much one road along the coast, with a wide enough shoulder so it's not scary. Mild-to-medium rise and fall of hills along the Costa Brava ("Wild Coast"), perfect for a late beginner or early intermediate bicyclist. Gorgeous beaches, lots of hidden rocky coves, some sea caves, old castles. We went through all the towns: Lloret de Mar, Tossa de Mar, Sant Filiu de Guixols, Platja d'Aro, Figueres. If you stay in Tossa, the Cap d'Or hostel is the absolute best, great food in their restaurant, too, up the hill near the castle is the best sangria I ever had. Inland from Tossa is the phenomenally beautiful Girona, I'd guess it's about 17km from the coast. Farther up the coast is Golf de Roses and Cap de Cervera, rocky areas, some beaches, no tourists right now, it's offseason.
Sounds wonderful, thanks. I'll make a ote for next time. :-)
Old 02-27-14, 04:34 AM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on how much off roading you want to do and how adventurous you want to be. You could take backroads, farm roads, etc. and probably never see a car. The highways that are smaller are still pretty dangergous for cyclists because most don't have shoulders.
Old 05-17-14, 01:56 AM
pedalsimotxilla

Bikes: Genesis Croix de Fer 10, Merida SUB 40, Old Raleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm from Catalonia, and the catalan coastal route is really beautiful. Going from Madrid to Barcelona is not something I'd recommend, though. In summer you'll cook yourself to death and I can't think of a safe way of doing it, besides just looking for minor roads.
Old 05-18-14, 11:58 AM
bikehog164

Bikes: Dunlup Special Edition Mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it is doable, just difficult? might give it a go and see for myself.
Old 06-19-14, 10:15 PM
naptimeguru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eddie,

I am planning on doing a similar trip in a couple of months and I was wondering if you had a GPS file of your route. Also any other tips or advice you have would be great.

Thanks!