Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Roam - The collective - Review

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 09:42 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I review movies so rarely now because most suck ass. I have't seen many good movies in the last 2 years and it depresses me. We are headed down a rode similar to bmx/skate style vids where being a jackass is cooler than making a good solid movie.
I went to the canadian premier last night and let me tell you what a blast. The show out front was amazing. Seeing the bike, all the pros and some incredible art work was phenomonal. Whistler really goes off. And in all seriousness I have been to 10 premiers (nwd's, kranked's and collective) and bar none this was HUGE. The amount of people that showed up was unreal. It was a packed house, and a big one.
First let me say what this movie isn't so those of you who want an nwd or kranked movie can turn away now.
Isn't
- Overly Progressive (there are some awesome segments but there isn't anything done in this movie that hasn't been done before)
- No one is going - "omfg that was the biggest drop ever"
- Footage from races
- nwd or kranked formatted
- not a bmx/skate or east coast mtbike movie format (kids running around spitting in each others eggs)
Ok. So those of you who want the above a-typical movie. Don't get it, don't review it, don't even think about watching it. This movie followed the format of the original pretty closely but instead of just trying to touch on the "riders" it touched on the riding.
Is
- Amazing single track at mach 10, of peaty and shandro riding together again. Thats right Steve Peat took time to shoot some sweet looking normal single track.
- The BEST bar none - footage of whistler EVER. In all seriousness I hate footage of whistler. Its overdone and they usually pick crap trails. This was AWESOME. It made me want to go dig up angry pirate - a-line and ride like a man beast.
- Bearclaw and friend - killer rider and killed it as usual. No need to elaborate.
- The interior of BC gets a lot of play time as well. Great looking trails and some awesome drops and transitions.
- Some djing with some awesome filming. Not a fan of djing but the shooting was awesome. All at Jordie Lunns house if I remember right
- Utah - now I hate utah. Its overplayed and looks dull as doornails to me. But the shots and locations used for this footage (and the fact that the godfather was riding) was unique and nice to see.
- best cinematography in the business. This one is easy of course. They have one awards on filming and attract outside viewers because of it. Thats the most progressive thing about this movie.
I forget most of the small details. This is a movie like the collective. Its about riders riding. Xc guys can appreciate it, freeriders can appreciate it and downhillers can appreciate it. Anyone and everyone who has a deep love for being on the saddle, being with buds and exploring new terrain should be able to love this movie. Unless of course you only like hucking dj movies.
I give it a 10/10. Another hit from the guys. Ican't believe they were able to follow up from the collective with such a strong showing.

I will add this as well. I could have lived without the segment by segment commentating. They felt the need to explain themselves every 5 minutes it seems. It wasn't long or very intrusive, but I think they did it for the benefit of those people who just didn't get their vision. In reality, no matter what they do, if you don't get it, you just don't get it.
Old 04-17-06, 10:17 AM
never
Custom User

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great...like the first...can't wait to see it!
Old 04-17-06, 11:39 AM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Bikes: '18 Kona Explosif, '18 Sunday Primer BMX, Giant Roam (ss converted), Old Peugeot (SS converted, broken)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice review! Sounds like a great movie, I'll probably have to buy it eventually.
Old 04-17-06, 12:09 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the review, Mael; I see on RideMonkey that it's going to be at the Mt. Baker Theater on Thursday. I'm gonna have to e-mail my son and let him know.

BTW, I saw a familiar avatar over on RM. How long have you been lurking over on the PNW forum?
Old 04-17-06, 01:25 PM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's in the theatre here on the 29th at 9:00pm.

About a dozen friends and I are going to watch it then do a urban ride afterwards.

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 04-17-06, 02:24 PM
Blazinall91
Show Me What'cha got

Bikes: old school Giant Attraction MTB (where it all started),old school Schwinn High Plains MTB (XC and long ride duty), Mosh DJ3 (BMX basher), and Trek Bruiser 1 (freeride and full of mods and still growing)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
know when it'll be on video
Old 04-17-06, 03:11 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wethepeople
It's in the theatre here on the 29th at 9:00pm.

About a dozen friends and I are going to watch it then do a urban ride afterwards.
The urban was acceptable. Ryan leech was good to watch, he did one move which made the crowd jump a bit.

know when it'll be on video
End of may.

BTW, I saw a familiar avatar over on RM. How long have you been lurking over on the PNW forum?
Been there a few years. I answer the questions I can about whistler. I don't post much over there as I don't fit into any of the cliques. Some of the pnw guys and myself pm back and forth a bit though
Old 04-24-06, 09:25 PM
Blazinall91
Show Me What'cha got

Bikes: old school Giant Attraction MTB (where it all started),old school Schwinn High Plains MTB (XC and long ride duty), Mosh DJ3 (BMX basher), and Trek Bruiser 1 (freeride and full of mods and still growing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is cool

a little behind the scenes action of Roam
Old 04-24-06, 09:40 PM
DylanTremblay
...is my hero!

Bikes: 2008 Kink Whip, 2006 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Norco Wolverine, 2006 Iron Horse FsZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm buying tickets to the Edmonton Priemier of Roam...its gonna be on May 11 so I'll have to wait awhile but man am I excited to go...It's gonna be freaking awesome!!! And when I buy the ticket I get put in a draw for a Demo 8 frame so everyone cross your fingers for me
Old 04-24-06, 09:57 PM
Chone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*crosses fingers for DylanTremblay*

Yeah, looks great by the way you compare it to NWD (I too hate bmx/punk style stuff)
Old 04-24-06, 10:04 PM
arboc!

Bikes: specialized p.1, redline single x

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im looking for somthing to watch now that ive been injured. should i look into getting roam?
Old 04-24-06, 11:10 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arboc!
im looking for somthing to watch now that ive been injured. should i look into getting roam?
Depends. I love it but re-reading my description it is accurate. If you are looking for a dj vid, this isn't it. I can't think of anything overtly progressive in the film. Its akin to a jack johnson surf vid. Its about the moment. In this case a mountain bikers ability to dj, ride down a mountain, trail ride etc. All over the world.

Personally, I wouldn't go without it in my collection
Old 04-25-06, 12:29 AM
Blazinall91
Show Me What'cha got

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that preview that shows the zip line is awesome, i HAVE to see/ own this
Old 04-25-06, 11:30 AM
Sinfield
Eat. Lift. Ride. Drink.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How's the Ryan Leech section? As good as the one in the Collective? I can't wait to see this vid, unfortunatley I missed out on the premiers here in Portland because I had to be out of town last weekend.

Oh yeah, how's the soundtrack? That was one of my fav. things about the Collective, such good, mellow music choices that really fit the theme of the movie. No stupid Kranked style white trash rap-rock and no dumb computer animated transitions. My kind of film.
Old 04-25-06, 11:42 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Soundtrack was good. I guess it depends what you want, a funky soundtrack, a track that is meant to be the background or a track thats in your face. This was on par with the collective.

Leech's section was good...maybe a bit better than good. There was only one truly sic thing, otherwise it was standard leech trials. It didn't wow me like last years.
Old 04-26-06, 04:40 AM
huph
Rid'n

Bikes: SJ 120, Cotic Soul, Scott Scale 40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fan-diddley-tastic vid. Definitely one to add to my collection.

Leach dropping to the rail track and riding the gate both rocked.

Though I don't think it topped the fence-chain-fence sequence he did in the Collective.
Old 04-26-06, 10:22 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.apple.com/pro/video/houssian/

A nice review by the man himself. Jamie Housain (sp)