Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do I need fenders?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do I need fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 08:29 PM
BattleRabbit
Anachronist.

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn Le Tour, 2010 Motobecane Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do I need fenders?

I was thinking today while out for a lonely ride in the drizzle that my fenders might be extraneous. When I commute I wear a jersey and shorts, but I do not work in those clothes. I carry my clothes/lunch/books in one of these:

It has a semi-hard waterproof outer surface, so no stripe up my back fenders or no. If I'm out for a leisurely ride in the rain, I wear a jacket, so no stripe on my back either.

I will confess, I do like the look of fenders, but for the moment they seem like an extra pound and a half of weight rather than a functional addition.

*Note; I do commute on my roadie rig in many weather conditions too, and that definitely does not have fenders.
Old 08-14-11, 08:37 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I like my fenders, they keep me clean and they keep the bike clean and whatever miniscule amount of weight they add, I don't care.
Old 08-14-11, 08:41 PM
xray1978
Degenerate Grouch

Bikes: Kona Hahanna, Schwinn Speedster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, of course you don't need them if you are willing to suffer a little filth and being wet. I like having them in the winter because anything that helps keep me dry is something that is also keeping me warm. Honestly, a pound and a half? I would not worry about that, I can lose that much weight taking a $#!+. For me, it is worth it to have fenders. I too like the way they look.
Old 08-14-11, 08:43 PM
Soma Roark

Bikes: Trek 600 Series, Miyata 610, Palo Alto Touring, Schwinn Paramountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love fenders, so yes.
Old 08-14-11, 08:49 PM
JPprivate
Very, very Senior Member

Bikes: 2012 Surly Troll, 1999 Hardtail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
without (front) fenders my feet get really wet even in light rain or on wet roads. That's why fenders are a big plus for me.
Old 08-14-11, 09:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I understand the racers in training in Belgium eschew fenders to be like their heros ,
finishing with mud on their face and a big stripe up the backside of their jersey,
.. and not be mistaken for a Tourist.

but for the more sensible , I wouldn't do without them.
Old 08-14-11, 09:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12857 Post(s)
Liked 7,773 Times in 4,122 Posts
I run a backscratcher mudguard and wear water resistant boots on rain days. Even with a backpack and jacket my butt gets wet thus the backscratcher.
Old 08-14-11, 09:06 PM
D Boz

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress ST , 1977 Motobecane Mirage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do it up!

Unless you are so weight conscious that you can’t bring yourself to carry basic repair/flat tools and accessories, fenders are useful at keeping yourself and ride a lot cleaner. By the sounds of it you haven’t minded riding without, so if aesthetics are what you’re looking for I generally like the looks of them.
For performance I’ve only used full coverage fenders SKS and currently Civia, both are nice, although the Civia’s are prettier. Simply to keep from riding thru front tire spray, they are well worth it.
Old 08-14-11, 09:30 PM
BattleRabbit
Anachronist.

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn Le Tour, 2010 Motobecane Sprint

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a set of planet bike cascadias on right now, and they do work well. I was thinking of upgrading to some velo-orange hammered aluminum fenders* this winter when I redid my bike. I'm just tossing back and forth if it was really necessary.

For the curious, the redo basically constitutes stripping the paint, copper plating the frame, artificially aging it a touch, adding a new Schwinn decal set in the style of the old ones(but in colors to compliment the copper finish) and then clear coating the whole shebang. The paint on my Schwinn is kinda rubbish and fragile, and I want to redo it in a cool way before any serious rust sets in.

*The bike was originally 27" and was converted to 700c. Will the Velo Orange parts fit?
Old 08-14-11, 09:32 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, they are not essential. Nothing is essential unless removing it causes the bike to stop functioning properly. So are they needed? No. Are they nice to have? Yes, I think so.
Old 08-15-11, 06:06 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
I like my fenders, they keep me clean and they keep the bike clean and whatever miniscule amount of weight they add, I don't care.
Me too!
Old 08-15-11, 09:16 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I like them and they are always on my commuter. They also keep the water off the bike a well as "stuff" that is not water off the rider. I encouter a fair amount of goose poop on the ride. It is also nicer for other nearby bicyclists , no spray for them.
Old 08-15-11, 09:53 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I have to fuss with my fenders more then I'd like, but they do make wet weather biking so much more pleasant. Maybe the wet and grime doesn't bother you, so it doesn't matter, but it seems like whatever amount of grime you can keep off your chain might be worth it. Also, when biking with friends in rain or on wet roads, I always have to stay well back from my fenderless friends as the send up a spray. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's very noticeable and obnoxious. Whenever I consider removing my fenders, realize that would make me one of the people spraying my fellow commuters, so that halts any thoughts about removing them.
Old 08-15-11, 09:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
No.

Fenders can mess with your toe clearance. They don't keep you dry; they just prolong the inevitable by about five minutes. All in all, they're pretty obnoxious. Depending on your bike and how well they match, they can either be downright ugly, or tastefully aesthetic. In any case, they're far from necessary.
Old 08-15-11, 10:04 AM
Onions
Insane Member

Bikes: Huffy Grand Prairie 15sp MTB (don't hate!), 1980 Schwinn World Tourist, 1976 Schwinn Traveler, 1974 Romic Custom (project bike!)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fenders make the ride nicer even in hot weather by stopping the dirt and grit from spraying you in the face as you roll across patches of dust and grit on the road. When it's wet, they're even better. I wouldn't commute a day without them now.
Old 08-15-11, 10:05 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
To me, the best reason to run fenders is to keep your bike much cleaner. I don't mind a little water spray on myself so much, but your chain, brakes, derailleurs, frame get totally coated with crud without fenders. Going fenderless also allows more water to get on the seat post, where it seeps down to your bottom bracket. I rode 63 miles last Saturday on my road bike without fenders -- due to another terrible weather forecast -- and literally poured water out of my seat tube after the ride. The entire bike needed cleaning. However, when riding my commuter bike with fenders in the rain, it doesn't get nearly so filthy.
Old 08-15-11, 10:36 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like my fenders because they keep my bike from trying to give me an enema when it's wet out.
Old 08-15-11, 11:17 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
From BSNYC's trove of information: Fenders; because it's probably urine.
Old 08-15-11, 12:12 PM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BattleRabbit
I was thinking today while out for a lonely ride in the drizzle that my fenders might be extraneous. When I commute I wear a jersey and shorts, but I do not work in those clothes. I carry my clothes/lunch/books in one of these:

It has a semi-hard waterproof outer surface, so no stripe up my back fenders or no. If I'm out for a leisurely ride in the rain, I wear a jacket, so no stripe on my back either.

I will confess, I do like the look of fenders, but for the moment they seem like an extra pound and a half of weight rather than a functional addition.

*Note; I do commute on my roadie rig in many weather conditions too, and that definitely does not have fenders.
If you are worried about an extra 24 ounces then fenders are probably not for you.
Old 08-15-11, 12:26 PM
AltheCyclist

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just get the fenders. They're not very heavy. They help keep water and junk off of you and the bike in all weather conditions.
If you don't like them, you can take them off (I'd bet you leave them on once you try them out).
Old 08-15-11, 12:48 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JeremyLC
I like my fenders because they keep my bike from trying to give me an enema when it's wet out.
What this guy said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But then, I have several bikes. If it's not raining, I take one without fenders. If it's raining (or even drizzling) fenders always.
Old 08-15-11, 01:00 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Fenders do more to protect your bike than they do you as humans don't rust... a decent front fender will keep your wheel from firing water and grit into your drivetrain and if you commute in denser environments a full rear fender will keep he people behind you far happier.

It needs to be repeated that the puddles you ride through are probably full of more than water... in some neighbourhoods I ride through patrons of many bars have no reservation about pissing on the street when the need strikes.
Old 08-15-11, 01:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6242 Post(s)
Liked 4,253 Times in 2,385 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
No.

Fenders can mess with your toe clearance. They don't keep you dry; they just prolong the inevitable by about five minutes. All in all, they're pretty obnoxious. Depending on your bike and how well they match, they can either be downright ugly, or tastefully aesthetic. In any case, they're far from necessary.
Are you really from Seattle? Or are you actually a Phoenix troll?

I actually agree with everything you say but I'm from Colorado where it doesn't really rain all that much. Personally, I hate 'em! Damn things are always catching my toe or gouging me when I'm holding the bike or getting in the way when I take the wheel off. They are always rubbing and mounting them can be an exercise in frustration and ingenuity. I put them around November and can't wait to take the damned things off in May. This year it was June or even July

I don't care about the weight, I hate the hassle.

By the way, mountain bike through a cow pasture sometime - here in Colorado it's common because cattle are pastured in the the National forests. You won't care about urine any more
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-15-11 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 01:50 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Since you're in Albany, the water your tires throw up from puddles in the winter and spring contain road salt, sand, oil, brake dust, and more. Having a wet bum isn't as bad as having a gritty bum.
It's fenders for me!
Old 08-15-11, 02:01 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Falling rain, snow and ice are clean. Water from the road is dirty. I'd rather stay as clean as possible, even if I am wet. Fenders are a must on my commuter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.