Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Need help on search of old PowerTap hub specs

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 10:28 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts

I have an older, not original, Powertap powermeter hub that I need to ID
it was discontinued in 2007/08 has ANT+ but not BT
SRAM support has turned its back on this (BooHissBoo , you makers of disposable tools!)

I have been searching hard and need tips on getting details on it for calibration and maintenance.

Old 04-09-24, 01:39 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Based on the photo , I believe this hub is the PowerTap Pro hub from around 2011.
It is ANT+ enabled and will work with any ANT+ cycling computer with a power meter field.
It sadly will not work with the Yellow Wired CPU.

How long before lack of support makes these EOL'ed
Should all bike electronics be considered disposable? or "finite"
Old 04-09-24, 02:44 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 268 Posts
I own a late-90's, low miles 1st gen pre-Cyclops Powertap built on a 32H Mavic SUP clincher.
Some of the bits - like chest strap and head - remain unused. Original box, too.
I probably did a wise thing long ago by removing the Duracell from it. No calibrating back in the day. lol
Owned another one on a different bike, which explains the lack of usage. Coincided with my departure from racing.
Old 04-09-24, 02:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,702 Times in 2,522 Posts
I own one, built it up in a wheel but never used it. Someday. I'm not super concerned about calibration though. It does suck that SRAM abandoned them. I also have one of the ones that they promised would be upgradeable to ant+, but only barely followed through on. Mine wasn't upgraded when the upgrade was still available.
Old 04-09-24, 05:53 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
I don't think there was any calibration options on those hubs. From what I recall you could send them back to the factory for recalibration.

I've got one in the garage somewhere, it was ANT+ only. Worked fine for many kms until I "upgraded" my wheels. Haven't used it in years but I bet it still works perfectly. Bulletproof things!
Old 04-10-24, 01:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
I’d suggest using the web archive Wayback Machine to visit the old Cyclops website for info.

I had a couple over the years and don’t recall any calibration process either. I recall changing the battery…

Powertap had it’s day, but was made obsolete by powermeter pedals, which were a betee solution for most people. That said, the hubs work fine and can still be used to train with power. Their Poweragent software was pretty nice, offering good ride analytics.
Old 04-12-24, 03:52 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I don't think there was any calibration options on those hubs. From what I recall you could send them back to the factory for recalibration.
If you mean true calibration, then no, but what power meter does have that option? It did transmit torque so with a known weight you could check if it was out of calibration which most current power meter don't allow. If you mean reset the zero offset, then it does that.