Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying vintage jerseys

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help identifying vintage jerseys

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-22, 11:04 AM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Help identifying vintage jerseys (7-Eleven/Hoonved; TdF KOM; others)

I recently bought a couple of boxes of vintage bike tools & parts off a local auctioneer who had found them in a storage unit he purchased (I picked it all up for $25 USD, if any of you are curious), and he threw in a trash bag of cycling clothing from the unit as well--everything seemed to be mid-80s with the 'newest' parts--most of an xtr m900 drivetrain--topping out in about 1992. I'm not much of a jersey collector (I bought for the tools & xtr parts), so I'd love folks' help identifying the age/authenticity/potential value of three of the jerseys hiding in the trash bag. There's also what I would guess is a late-80s Cafe de Columbia kit (jersey & shorts); the rest wasn't particularly interesting or was in pretty rough shape:

Mid-80s 7-Eleven/Hoonved Castelli jersey?

Early/Mid-80s Le Coq Sportif King of the Mountains TdF Jersey?

What about this Eddy Merckx LS Full Zip? Maybe early 90s?

The C&V Hive Mind's help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by fvernon; 02-13-22 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-13-22, 12:27 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
That EM jersey would go great with my Team SC! Any interest in selling? What size?

(The US importer sold those as a promo/trade item back in the 80's and 90's)

Scott Peterson
Newport, OR
Old 02-13-22, 01:50 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
Nice jerseys , I particularly like the polka dots. I don’t know about the year they were made but they are vintage to me.
Old 02-13-22, 02:01 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
The EM jersey is made by Giordana, you probably already figured that out.

I don’t think vintage jerseys are pulling big bucks, despite optimistic eBay sellers, but they would certainly sell if they’re in good condition.

Might be best to sell them here in C&V sales to keep them in the family.
Old 02-13-22, 02:12 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Originally Posted by rando_couche
That EM jersey would go great with my Team SC! Any interest in selling? What size?

(The US importer sold those as a promo/trade item back in the 80's and 90's)

Scott Peterson
Newport, OR
Definitely comfortable selling, Scott! It's a size 4 (I'd call it a US Medium). My Eroica kit is already in order this year, and these don't fit my "1980's dad on a bike tour" esthetic
Old 02-13-22, 02:17 PM
fvernon

Originally Posted by P!N20
The EM jersey is made by Giordana, you probably already figured that out.

I don’t think vintage jerseys are pulling big bucks, despite optimistic eBay sellers, but they would certainly sell if they’re in good condition.

Might be best to sell them here in C&V sales to keep them in the family.
Right, that Giordana logo should have been a quick giveaway! I assumed eBay prices for stuff like this aren't a good indication of actual value--and I will probably throw them up in the C&V sales section if folks are interested in putting together their Eroica outfits (or have an interest vintage jerseys)
Old 02-13-22, 02:56 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by fvernon
Mid-80s 7-Eleven/Hoonved Castelli jersey?
Team jersey from 1985, I don't know if Hoonved was on the US version, sure it was on the European version. Probably it's a supporter-jersey, rider jersey had most of the time a name in it.

What's worth depends, size, where do you sell it, etcetera. I think this one brings more money in the US than for instance in Europe.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 02-13-22, 03:03 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

The polka dot is a replica for the supporters, the market for this is in Europe very little, US I don't know.
The Merckx jacket is one you could buy if you wanted to ride with it. Not a team jersey. There are a lot of these.
But why no pics of Café de Colombia?
Old 02-13-22, 04:00 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
The Lecoqsportiff jersey has applique style lettering that the company used in the mid-80's (maybe longer).
Old 02-13-22, 09:24 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Definitely comfortable selling, Scott! It's a size 4 (I'd call it a US Medium). My Eroica kit is already in order this year, and these don't fit my "1980's dad on a bike tour" esthetic
Dang. I'm definitely a large-long, so it wouldn't work for me.

Thanks
Scott P
Old 02-14-22, 12:28 PM
fvernon

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
The polka dot is a replica for the supporters, the market for this is in Europe very little, US I don't know.
The Merckx jacket is one you could buy if you wanted to ride with it. Not a team jersey. There are a lot of these.
But why no pics of Café de Colombia?
Thanks for the info; I figured these are all replicas or supporter jerseys, and I really don't know whether there is a market for these anywhere. I can take and upload pictures of the Café de Columbia kit; I hadn't yet because I wasn't sure if there was much interest compared to the others here (and the shorts are no longer usable--at least, I would certainly not wear them!)
Likes For fvernon:
Old 02-14-22, 02:03 PM
fabiofarelli

Thanks for the info; I figured these are all replicas or supporter jerseys, and I really don't know whether there is a market for these anywhere. I can take and upload pictures of the Café de Columbia kit; I hadn't yet because I wasn't sure if there was much interest compared to the others here (and the shorts are no longer usable--at least, I would certainly not wear them!)
There's a market, sure. Between €30 for the Merckx and the polka dot and maybe €50 for the 7 Eleven. And don't forget there are many Vitus riders in Europe, as the Café de Colombia probably is a Vitus related jersey.
Old 02-17-22, 11:25 AM
fvernon

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
There's a market, sure. Between €30 for the Merckx and the polka dot and maybe €50 for the 7 Eleven. And don't forget there are many Vitus riders in Europe, as the Café de Colombia probably is a Vitus related jersey.
I'm out of town for a bit, but when I get back I'll snag some pics of the Café de Columbia kit!
Likes For fvernon: