Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike Locked with ULOCK. Need help.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 11:18 PM
mkansari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So basically my bike is locked to a pole with a Ulock and someone tried to break the lock.

Here's the lock

https://www.bikeguardlocks.com/produc...rocklock-1500/

Well they were unsuccessful. The lock is a beast, but for some stupid reason the guy jammed PEBBLES in the keyhole so I cant unlock it. I managed to get one out. But there is one more and I cant do anything about it. I even tried drilling it but I cant get the drill bit in there properly onto the pebble so as to shatter it. So I'm wondering is there another solution to this, such as a chemical that will dissolve it. I'm running out of time; I've taken the wheels and seat post out, but its a matter of time before that frame gets stolen.
Old 09-28-13, 12:12 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mkansari
for some stupid reason the guy jammed PEBBLES in the keyhole so I cant unlock it.
I'm guessing his stupid reason was that since he couldn't take your bike, he could at least deny it to you.

I'd suggest an angle grinder. That's what they seem to use in all the mass tests of bike locks. Most U-locks seem to fail when they pull out the angle grinder.
Old 09-28-13, 12:35 AM
Hendo252 

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Scumbags. Glad they didn't get your lock.

Have you tried some of the little picks (similar to dental tools) like these from Harbor Freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...set-93514.html

You may be able to get the rocks out. Sure would be a shame to have to destroy the lock.

Good luck...

-Tom in SoCal
Old 09-28-13, 12:40 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26441 Post(s)
Liked 10,406 Times in 7,225 Posts
See if maybe Home Depot will rent you one.......

Old 09-28-13, 12:48 AM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
kind of ironic that its called the "rock lock".

the angle grinder is a much better solution than trying to dissolve the metal w/solution.
Old 09-28-13, 01:16 AM
supremekizzle

Bikes: 2012 Diamondback Trace Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a scubag piece of $hit. The audacity of some people honestly makes me want to settle on Mars. He decided that since he couldn't steal your bike, that he was going to show you by sabotaging your lock. I'd give my left nut to catch a thief in the act of stealing my bike. Break every single one of his fingers and see how successful he is at theft in the future.

Back on topic: angle grinder would be your best bet. Only $30 for a cheap-o one, and you can use it in the future to steal other people's bikes. Just kidding.
Old 09-28-13, 01:27 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Contact the manufacturer of the lock. Tell them what happened, Provide pics. Tell them they can use your "testimony" in exchange for a new lock, because I really wouldn't trust that locking cylinder after rocks (and then a drill bit) have been up in there.
Old 09-28-13, 09:19 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by mkansari
for some stupid reason the guy jammed PEBBLES in the keyhole so I cant unlock it.
If you can't take it then it'll still be there for them to take when they come back later with a better lock removing tool.

I've heard of thieves putting their own lock on a bike so it'll still be there for them to take at a later or better time.
Old 09-28-13, 12:05 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Yes I would use a cut off tool, or a dremel tool with the cutting blade. I would get back right away to get it before the crook does.
Old 09-28-13, 12:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
hurry, it might be stripped down to only the frame if out there long.
Old 09-28-13, 01:11 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
The guy put the rocks in there to make sure it was still there later (at night, maybe) when he could work on getting it some more. Whatever you do, do it now. bk
Old 09-28-13, 09:14 PM
mkansari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
hurry, it might be stripped down to only the frame if out there long.
I already did that
Old 09-29-13, 01:15 AM
HonestOne

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's terrible! I walked in on two guys and a look out stealing bikes out of my apartment building. I chased one, the other walked in the opposite direction. Ran back to my house, on phone with cops, run back down, jump on my other bike, find the guy walking in the street. As I speed off to signal an officer over, the guy darts into an alley and he is gone. I find my bike unlocked in a bike rack and spend the next 30min looking for the three guys. Didn't find them though, would have rather lost the bike than had them get away. Cops didn't do much though after I got my bike back, guess it didn't matter if they did it to someone else... Hope you can get your frame back!
Old 09-29-13, 10:39 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
As mentioned, get a cheap angle grinder and cut thru the lock.......or, get a group of friends together with baseball bats. Balaclava yourselves up. Wait for the a$$hole/s to come back. Give 'em what for...then use the angle grinder
Old 09-29-13, 11:52 AM
v.t.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had something similar happen, you may be able to put the key in the lock and hit it with a hammer just hard enough to break the rock.
Old 09-30-13, 08:03 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Car jack.
Old 09-30-13, 08:05 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Contact the manufacturer of the lock. Tell them what happened, Provide pics. Tell them they can use your "testimony" in exchange for a new lock, because I really wouldn't trust that locking cylinder after rocks (and then a drill bit) have been up in there.
No. 1; I like this. This is a drag but it is also epic. Make some use of what happened to you.
Old 09-30-13, 10:38 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26441 Post(s)
Liked 10,406 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Car jack.
......I really think carjacking someone just because you lost your bike is an overreaction.
Old 09-30-13, 07:49 PM
mkansari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
That wouldn't work. Apparently, if the bike and lock are still there, the lock is still working lol.
Old 09-30-13, 07:50 PM
mkansari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by v.t.
I have had something similar happen, you may be able to put the key in the lock and hit it with a hammer just hard enough to break the rock.
Not possible. I already tried using a drill...
Old 09-30-13, 07:54 PM
mkansari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. As I was going to the caretaker of the school to explain to him my situation and that I needed permission to run a grinder with a 100m extension lead plugged in the school and at the same time trying to avoid all the safety/hazard implications when the principal would hear, a guy comes in the school to repair the road and just happens to have a concrete cutting saw.

The lock and 70 hard-earned dollars were successfully obliterated.
Old 10-01-13, 07:41 AM
StarDust4Ever

Bikes: 2005 Felt SR-81 (strait handled road bike), 2008 Kona Fire Mountain 26er HT (planning to upgrade to a 29er), Electra Swing Tandem 3i (cruiser built for 2), 2013 Trek Shift 2 WSD (comfort solo for my fiance)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you got your bike back that royally sucks. Where I live, Walmart locks are usually enough to deter thieves since they can just go steal a bike that isn't locked, though I will never trust a Wallmart lock again. I had a U-lock from Walmart once. One day I installed it crooked with the peg sticking out on one side, and then twisted the U. The locking mechanism sheared right off inside. Damned thing was hollow! And that was the last U-Lock I ever bought from Wallmart.

I use a cable lock myself since you can set the combination and it gets around stuff like fences, utility polls and trees, that a U-Lock often can't, since very few businesses in my area bother to install bike racks I gotta use whatever I can find. If I lived in a bigger city though, I'd definitely invest in a ginormous U-Lock in addition to the cable.
Old 10-01-13, 07:52 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by StarDust4Ever
I use a cable lock myself since you can set the combination and it gets around stuff like fences, utility polls and trees, that a U-Lock often can't, since very few businesses in my area bother to install bike racks I gotta use whatever I can find. If I lived in a bigger city though, I'd definitely invest in a ginormous U-Lock in addition to the cable.
You might reconsider the cable -- it takes less than 30 seconds to cut through. A chain may provide better security.
Old 10-01-13, 07:58 AM
Leif1313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
You might reconsider the cable -- it takes less than 30 seconds to cut through. A chain may provide better security.
The best Edit: better defense is to use two locks, Cable / Chain / U-lock, and make them work for it. They're more than likely would walk on to easier pickings.
Old 10-01-13, 08:32 AM
StarDust4Ever

Bikes: 2005 Felt SR-81 (strait handled road bike), 2008 Kona Fire Mountain 26er HT (planning to upgrade to a 29er), Electra Swing Tandem 3i (cruiser built for 2), 2013 Trek Shift 2 WSD (comfort solo for my fiance)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leif1313
The best Edit: better defense is to use two locks, Cable / Chain / U-lock, and make them work for it. They're more than likely would walk on to easier pickings.
A U-Lock wouldn't be a bad idea. I could still secure a U-Lock through the front wheel and fork, in addition to the cable lock. That way if they cut the cable lock at least they won't be able to ride it off. Seriously though, my cable lock is already twice as thick as some of the flimsy Walmart junk people strap their bikes with around town. Then again, they're mostly riding around on Walmart bikes that aren't even worth stealing much less riding around the block with. I'm a Clydesdale, not a weight weenie, so a couple extra pounds of lock on my road bike won't matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.