Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Those oversized 'super cool, stylish' cycling sunglasses. dont get it

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Those oversized 'super cool, stylish' cycling sunglasses. dont get it

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 10:22 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I haven't tried Maui Jim, but I found that I like Oakley's lens clarity and tint options better than Tifosi. I also found that Oakleys don't fog up as easy as Tifosi (of course this is specific to the models I've used, and the shape of my face. YMMV).
Years ago I asked my Optometrist what the best sunglass lenses were. He said it was Maui Jim so I bought a pair. Not for cycling, just general use. I was using Tiffosi for cycling. A few years later I switched to Oakley. The Oakleys were decent but air flow around them caused me to lose a few contact lenses. Eventtually I decided to try my MJs for cycling. They just work better imo.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-11-23, 10:32 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5006 Post(s)
Liked 8,176 Times in 3,868 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ironically? When I've seen kids wearing them, the highest concentration of which were at an air show, I was dying to ask, in a beat-around-the-bush way, if they were wearing them because they thought they were genuinely cool. 80's colorways, 90's branding/logos, and a modern, but niche, form factor - wierd.
Unironically. It was a fad for a few minutes in the travel softball world (at least our part of it) during the spring and summer of '21. They thought they were cool. I withheld my laughter...mostly.

My kid (left) and a couple of Pit Viper-adorned teammates goofing off between games...
Old 08-11-23, 02:22 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
More surprisingly is the price people pay for sunglasses in general. All you need is shaded lenses to get the benefit. Everything else is mostly hype and marketing. But folks like what they like, so no big deal.
Likes For jackb:
Old 08-11-23, 02:45 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I've had Tiffosi, Oakley, etc. IMO they are no better than my Maui Jim sport sunglasses. Which is what I now wear.
Maui Jim lenses are excellent. But it's not like they're any cheaper than Oakleys
Old 08-11-23, 02:54 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
More surprisingly is the price people pay for sunglasses in general. All you need is shaded lenses to get the benefit. Everything else is mostly hype and marketing. But folks like what they like, so no big deal.
I agree that lots of sunglasses are overpriced, but I disagree with the rest of your statement. Good lenses offer more than justn UV protection. They also reduce glare (front and rear), increase contrast at the appropriate wavelengths, and have greater clarity/sharpness. They also can be more scratch and fog-resistant. Cheap sunglasses often lose their coating or become hazy/smudged. Maybe it's just me, but I really appreciate a good set of lenses. That said, I have bought some pretty good less expensive sunglasses. Not as good as some of the best lenses, but good for certain tasks. For example, I bought a pair of these Ocean sunglasses for paddle boarding because they float and weren't expensive. They retail for about $90, but you can usually find them on sale for half price or less. The lenses are blue-tinted and polarized, which helps reduce glare off the water. They are pretty good. But they aren't as good at enhancing contrast as Oakley Prizms or Smith Chromapop, and they aren't as sharp or glare reducing as Maui Jims. I still like them though.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 08-11-23, 05:06 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by mattcalifornia
Maui Jim lenses are excellent. But it's not like they're any cheaper than Oakleys
That's absolutely true. But,if you're going to pay one way or the other then buy what works. For me it's the MJs. But,that's just me.
Old 08-11-23, 06:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 5,699 Times in 2,942 Posts
So blocking UVA and UVB are no big deal? Better ask your optometrist if they share your option.

Old 08-11-23, 06:36 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,690 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread about sunglasses a couple of years ago:

Back when I was still working in a bike store, our shop's Oakley rep occasionally brought around a simple demo apparatus that tested the distortion or lack thereof in lenses.

He took a couple of pairs of the other (expensive) brands of sunglasses we stocked and stuck them in the tester, which beamed a laser-like shaft of light through the center of the lens. With the light shining through each of the other brands' lenses at the beam's target, the resulting illumination was soft and diffuse.

Then the Oakley lens, and the beam was as tight and coherent. Think of the different settings of flashlights: that's what the comparison was like.

The testing setup couldn't have been simpler, and the superiority of the Oakley lens was glaringly obvious. No pun intended.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-11-23, 06:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 5,699 Times in 2,942 Posts
Loved the Oakley product, have owned a couple of pair back in the 80s, but their prices now are stratospheric. I will live with a little distortion until my ship comes in. Don’t see it yet…. Might be the distortion

Old 08-11-23, 07:27 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Am I the only one who remembers this guy and his glasses?

No, but so what? Did they enhance his ability to win?
Old 08-12-23, 03:41 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I think I had a pair of these \/ \/ in the 80s. These days I just use Carhartt safety glasses I get free at work.

Old 08-12-23, 05:20 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4454 Post(s)
Liked 4,917 Times in 3,044 Posts
That may be all YOU need. I need quality lenses with full UV protection in a reasonably stylish and functional package that isn’t going to break or scratch easily. I find there is a price to be paid for all these features, but would agree that some brands offer better value for money than others. There is certainly a strong fashion element to sunglasses, which is not that surprising since they are sitting right on your face.
Old 08-12-23, 05:32 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Time trial kit.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 08-12-23, 05:45 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,036 Posts
Oakley lenses meet the ANSI Z87 rating standard for impact protection. I never thought much of this until once when I rode into the back of a work truck (parked in the bike lane with no hazard blinkers or cones) and my left lens hit the trailer hitch on my way down. The reflective coating chipped but otherwise the lens was not damaged.
Old 08-12-23, 06:25 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
The Oakley prizm lenses are awesome ngl
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 08-12-23, 06:30 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
These days I just use Carhartt safety glasses I get free at work
also this but mine are 3M
Old 08-12-23, 07:04 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Years ago I asked my Optometrist what the best sunglass lenses were. He said it was Maui Jim so I bought a pair. Not for cycling, just general use. I was using Tiffosi for cycling. A few years later I switched to Oakley. The Oakleys were decent but air flow around them caused me to lose a few contact lenses. Eventtually I decided to try my MJs for cycling. They just work better imo.
MJs are the shizz. I have about eight pair, and also have Oakley, Smith, Tiffosi, and others. The MJs stand above the rest.
Old 08-12-23, 09:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,523 Times in 1,516 Posts
These are the GOATs, according to to testimonials.

Old 08-12-23, 09:43 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
Just curious, what is it about those oversized 'stylish' cycling sunglasses ... they look ridiculous ...
For years, I wore the Oakley M Frame, prescription. Those things excel at a wrap-around coverage of the eyes. Short of fully enclosing the eye area (like mountain expedition eyewear generally does), it's hard to get better coverage. Keeps out more of the pesky dust/sand grains when doing outdoor activities.

Of course, it's big, sitting on the face, and it does produce an interesting "raccoon" tan pattern on the skin. But they can work very well, assuming the wrap matches the shape of one's face.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 08-12-23 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 12:32 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 78 Posts
Smith Reverb. Go big...but always go frameless. Why would you ever want any frame blocking any of the view?

Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 08-12-23, 12:48 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Smith Reverb. Go big...but always go frameless. Why would you ever want any frame blocking any of the view?

Can you change lenses on those or are the arms permanently fixed? I have a version of those with a thin top frame that come with a couple of different lenses that snap into the top frame. The nose piece clips directly onto the lens like the Reverbs. That’s the only purpose of the frame as far as I can see.
Old 08-12-23, 01:23 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,678 Times in 7,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
No, but so what? Did they enhance his ability to win?
Old 08-12-23, 06:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4754 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Can you change lenses on those or are the arms permanently fixed? I have a version of those with a thin top frame that come with a couple of different lenses that snap into the top frame. The nose piece clips directly onto the lens like the Reverbs. That’s the only purpose of the frame as far as I can see.
Yes, lenses are interchangeable. They're not cheap however

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/p/...57LEN003Q.html

Typically almost better finding lens you want on sale and buying the complete glasses
eg. https://www.steepandcheap.com/smith-...pop-sunglasses
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 08-12-23, 06:57 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
---------

You can change lenses really easily. I got yellow, and I think it came with a rose or smoke. With that said, I pretty much only wear a clear for the same reason I like frameless... I like to see the world exactly as it is with no hinderance. The clear has a little sun reducing tint to it as well.

Before this I had some frames Tifosi's I liked, but I moved to this for the larger lens.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 08-12-23, 07:58 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
---------

You can change lenses really easily. I got yellow, and I think it came with a rose or smoke. With that said, I pretty much only wear a clear for the same reason I like frameless... I like to see the world exactly as it is with no hinderance. The clear has a little sun reducing tint to it as well.

Before this I had some frames Tifosi's I liked, but I moved to this for the larger lens.
Cool. I think mine are an older discontinued version of these. On mine the lenses clip into a minimalist top frame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.