Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Does anyone make anything like this?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 09:36 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am looking for an ss/fg frameset which is built like a modern road racing bike. It should be plenty stiff but also have a bit of compliance over bumps like the carbon stay frames had, they seem to be getting away from those frames. It should also steer like a road racer rather than a track bike and not have such low bars or in other words something you don't mind spending a few hours on.

I poked around a bit online today but nothing stood out. A complete bike would be my second choice.

I'd like a stiff aluminum frame, preferably with carbon stays, a carbon fork, and road race instead of track geometry. I guess a steel frame with a larger diameter down tube might do but I have never tried such a frame.

Calfee is well out of my price range. Bikesdirect has the Windsor but the stays look straight and aluminum so they probably have little to no compliance. Has anyone tried one of those? How does it feel on the street?
Old 06-18-12, 09:40 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
You will be better off getting a road frame that meets your needs and building a ENO rear wheel of find a eccentric BB (BB30 or PF30).
Old 06-18-12, 09:47 AM
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast

Bikes: All City Nature Boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kind of think your carbon stay requirement is going to hold you back from getting a frame that would be perfectly good with an aluminum frame/stays and a carbon fork.
Old 06-18-12, 10:03 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Trek District Carbon?

Old 06-18-12, 10:05 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by garage sale GT
I am looking for an ss/fg frameset which is built like a modern road racing bike. It should be plenty stiff but also have a bit of compliance over bumps like the carbon stay frames had, they seem to be getting away from those frames. It should also steer like a road racer rather than a track bike and not have such low bars or in other words something you don't mind spending a few hours on.

I poked around a bit online today but nothing stood out. A complete bike would be my second choice.

I'd like a stiff aluminum frame, preferably with carbon stays, a carbon fork, and road race instead of track geometry. I guess a steel frame with a larger diameter down tube might do but I have never tried such a frame.

Calfee is well out of my price range. Bikesdirect has the Windsor but the stays look straight and aluminum so they probably have little to no compliance. Has anyone tried one of those? How does it feel on the street?
Keep in mind that your choices of wheels, spoke tension, tires, and air pressure will have more of an effect on your comfort than frame materials.

You can make any bike comfy with the right setup.
Old 06-18-12, 10:33 AM
Street rider
We win all charity rides

Bikes: BMX, fixed gear

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A shop near me had that District Carbon on the floor. Wouldn't allow any test rides, but that thing is light as hell. Does Trek sell the frameset of all the bikes they make?
Old 06-18-12, 10:44 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Trek District Carbon?
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I looked at Trek's site but they only have one aluminum frame track bike which looks like it's aimed at actual track racers.

The current District lineup seems to be all flat bar aluminum bikes.
Old 06-18-12, 11:52 AM
carleton
Elitist

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I looked at Trek's site but they only have one aluminum frame track bike which looks like it's aimed at actual track racers.

The current District lineup seems to be all flat bar aluminum bikes.
They may have discontinued it.

If you really want one, a Trek dealer can probably make a few phone calls and find one. MSRP was around $3,400, though. You could find a road frame and use an eccentric BB for a lot less than that. An eccentric BB is nice if you aren't planning on changing the gear ratio a lot.

Maybe find a nice used Trek Madone or Specialized Tarmac frame, install an eccentric BB, choice wheels stem and bars, and you'll be set. I'd go for shorter cranks, though, because of the low BB height...unless you go single speed. I would go single speed with 2 brakes. It would be a pretty nice setup.
Old 06-18-12, 12:51 PM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
find cheap used carbon road bike. buy ENO rear wheel. sell ders, brifters to cover cost of wheel.
Old 06-18-12, 01:00 PM
Ultraspontane
bedazzled fingernails

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Trek District Carbon?

Wow... Now that's a sharp bike.
Old 06-18-12, 06:15 PM
jasonnc80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about Felt Footprint? Little cheaper than the District carbon was

Old 06-19-12, 06:29 AM
markaitch
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
instead of exterpolating op's interest in carbon stays into recommending a full-carbon frame bike, why not focus more on his stated desire for a more roadie-like alu ss/fg? in which case you can't beat...

Attached Images
Old 06-19-12, 06:48 AM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Windsor the Hour is steel.
Why wouldn't you do what basically everyone else does and get an aluminum bike with a carbon fork? Is there really that much of an advantage to having the rear stays also be carbon? Is there some application for this fixed-gear road racer that you have in mind? I would think that the Windsor would be exactly what you are looking for in terms of comfort for long distances. There really isn't going to be a good compromise bike that lets you actually take a fixed gear on road races and win sprints. That's just not what fixed-gears do, and if you aren't doing that then why the need for stiffness?
Old 06-19-12, 07:44 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
The Windsor the Hour is steel.
Why wouldn't you do what basically everyone else does and get an aluminum bike with a carbon fork? Is there really that much of an advantage to having the rear stays also be carbon? Is there some application for this fixed-gear road racer that you have in mind?
Riding a lot for fitness on a comfortable bike. Maybe 28mm tires would do a good enough job of making the ride smooth though.
I would think that the Windsor would be exactly what you are looking for in terms of comfort for long distances. There really isn't going to be a good compromise bike that lets you actually take a fixed gear on road races and win sprints. That's just not what fixed-gears do, and if you aren't doing that then why the need for stiffness?
I had a modern road bike and found I looked forward to the feel. It was great. The frame was stiff and steered super sharp, the bars didn't flex at all, but the carbon fork and stays kept the ride as smooth as a solid frame road bike probably ever will be.

I also want something that looks more like a road bike than a fixed gear.
Old 06-19-12, 07:46 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by markaitch
instead of exterpolating op's interest in carbon stays into recommending a full-carbon frame bike, why not focus more on his stated desire for a more roadie-like alu ss/fg? in which case you can't beat...

I like the Felt because it looks more like something you'd ride for fitness. I will be out in the daytime in riding clothes, not at night in tight jeans.
Old 06-19-12, 08:07 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I like the Felt because it looks more like something you'd ride for fitness. I will be out in the daytime in riding clothes, not at night in tight jeans.
It looks like a typical roadie bike to me, sans gears.
Old 06-20-12, 05:48 PM
Jandro 

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I regularly spend many hours (85mi was my longest ride) on my Cinelli Bolt and I love it. Aluminum, plenty stiff, slight pursuit geo, crisp, road-like handeling, carbon fork blades and a good price-point (IMO).

p.s. rides consist of long (40mi) flat-land commutes to work as well as extremely hilly (4k+ ft) climbing rides. It handles very similarly to my S2 road bike on descents. I've done a couple HC category, 10mi+ climbs with it as well and I can't say enough about how awesome it is given the right gearing.