Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

What's your tandem weigh?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

What's your tandem weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 09:33 AM
1930harley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame is columbus nobium tubing from Nova. Fork is from a buddy that owns Fezzari bikes. Because the team weighs in at just over 200lbs I wasn't concerned about failure of fork or wheels. I bought a duraace bike off the classifieds for $800 bucks. Used all the components on this build. Found another crank online for $125 and a set of road bars for the stoker. Getting the rear triangle set up was the hardest part. Getting clearence for the connecting chain ring and clearance for the tire took some mock up but I think it was worth it. A couple of carbon seat posts and bars and some light pedals in the rear would drop a couple of pounds. I think the frame weighs in without BB at just over 6lbs.
Old 04-22-13, 03:55 PM
dubbelop

Bikes: Santos Dual Travel touring tandem, MSC Zion MTB-tandem, Santos SCC03 MTB, Santos STR01 trekking bike, Cannondale F500 MTB, Kalkhoff E-bike, Centurion Cross 4000 cyclocross bike (converted to road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MSC Zion tandem in stock configuration: 19.3 kgs. This bike is going to be heavily modified (essentially: stripped to a bare frame) with a Fox 36 Talas fork, Hope Evo Pro II hubs with Notubes Arch EX rims, Hope V4 brakes and a Middleburn crankset. Don't know if it's going to be lighter that way but all these goodies are just plain nice

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MSC_29032013_02.jpg (99.1 KB, 285 views)
Old 04-23-13, 11:34 AM
1930harley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built it out of Columbus Nobium tubing from Nova. Found a duraace bike on the classifieds for $800 and used the components to build it up. Extra crank set $125, had a set of handlebars. Friend that owns Fezzari got me the carbon fork. So my cost to build this up was about $1400.00 Head tube is 1.125 . Engineering the drive train to the right side was tricky but it allowed me to use normal cranks. Size is really small. 17" rear seat tube with the seat almost all the way down. My wife is about 5'2" so the front is pretty small as well.
Old 04-23-13, 12:02 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 378 Posts
Originally Posted by dubbelop
MSC Zion tandem in stock configuration: 19.3 kgs. This bike is going to be heavily modified (essentially: stripped to a bare frame) with a Fox 36 Talas fork, Hope Evo Pro II hubs with Notubes Arch EX rims, Hope V4 brakes and a Middleburn crankset. Don't know if it's going to be lighter that way but all these goodies are just plain nice

Surprising thing is that it's already 8 lbs lighter than the Burley that started this thread.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-29-13, 11:53 PM
WPH

Bikes: 2015 Apollo Syncro tandem, 2006 Scott CR1 SL (still a beastie race bike), 1993 Trek T200, 2006 Fuji Absolute Le, 2000 Thorn Club Tour

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
As I posted before, our '82 Peugeot is 40lbs. We've ridden it over 2000 miles since last October. Our typical day is between 40 and 60 miles, our longest 72 miles. I can't say I'd know what a 28lb tandem feels like, but we are sure enjoying ours.
Jim, that's a good weight for an old bike. Our 1993 Trek T200 is 20.38kg or 45 pounds with:
-- heavy rear rack (that came with the baby seat)
-- mudguards
-- four bottle cages
-- minipump
-- Thudbuster
-- computer
-- (and pedals!).

Easy lightness to be found in mudguards, stoker seatpost and rear rack, would probably get us to 40 pounds for free. After that... big bucks & better to buy a new bike I think.

Attached Images
P1010290.jpg (96.0 KB, 187 views)
Old 05-21-13, 06:40 PM
jmmorford

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just took delivery on a Co-Mo Colorado Supremo w/couplers. This custom order has the full Supremo groupo, except that it is equiped with discs front and back, which dictates a slightly heavier CF fork. The couplers, and the tubing for them, adds quite a bit of weight. Total weight without pedals or cages is right on 35#. I think that's darned good for a coupled bike that is set up for touring. It also has a flame out paint job that has the same morale boost as losing another 5#.
Old 05-21-13, 07:18 PM
WPH

Bikes: 2015 Apollo Syncro tandem, 2006 Scott CR1 SL (still a beastie race bike), 1993 Trek T200, 2006 Fuji Absolute Le, 2000 Thorn Club Tour

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmmorford
We just took delivery on a Co-Mo Colorado Supremo w/couplers. This custom order has the full Supremo groupo, except that it is equiped with discs front and back, which dictates a slightly heavier CF fork. The couplers, and the tubing for them, adds quite a bit of weight. Total weight without pedals or cages is right on 35#. I think that's darned good for a coupled bike that is set up for touring. It also has a flame out paint job that has the same morale boost as losing another 5#.
Sounds fabulous! Do you have pictures?
Old 05-25-13, 07:35 AM
ebnelson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmmorford
That's good with the discs and beefy fork. Our coupled Supremo has road side pull brakes and an Renolyds fork. With pedals it was coming in at 33.7lbs before we put the stoker drop bars on. Now it's 35lbs!

Attached Images
red tandem on scale.jpg (91.8 KB, 228 views)
Old 05-28-13, 11:21 AM
jabinco

Bikes: Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Trek 2300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo, equipped with carbon fork, Gates belt drive, front and rear disks, SPD pedals, mirrors, rear rack and trunk (holding extra tubes, pump, tools, spare belt, snacks, in other words, as we ride it, comes in at 44.9 lbs.
Old 06-11-13, 02:40 AM
WesleyEng.com

Bikes: Pacific Dualie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Pacific Dualie is 58lbs exactly
Old 06-11-13, 10:53 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 66 Posts
loaded Down

I don't even what to know what our bike weight on our ride Sunday. My stocker (wife) is struggling with her new shoes so I brought along the old shoes, pedals and wrench in the bag just in case she needed them. :-)
Attached Images
Bushnell Tandem June Ride.jpg (101.9 KB, 120 views)
Old 07-13-13, 11:27 AM
budhaslug

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Our new (to us) 2007 Calfee Tetra, nicknamed Tachycineta, is currently 25.2 pounds as you see it. This was a "budget" build, with the whole thing, including the frame and every single part (with shipping) coming in just under $7000. I still need to swap out the captain's pedals, probably for some new Time Xpresso 2's, once I commit to a new pedal system for my whole fleet of bikes (4 sets of pedals gets pricey), and these would bring the total weight to just under 25.0. And yes, it is very very blue.
Attached Images
Tachycineta-Left.jpg (104.0 KB, 467 views)
Tachycineta-Right.jpg (106.5 KB, 463 views)
Old 07-13-13, 02:29 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
The bike looks very nice and has come out light too!
You have the saddle a long way forward. Does the frame have quite a slack seat tube angle or do you just like your bikes set up like that?
Old 07-13-13, 05:09 PM
budhaslug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! The saddle is pretty far forward due to the 0-setback post. This is about the same position as I have on all of my road bikes. I'm not sure what it is about my body dimensions, it just seems to be the position that is most comfortable with me and causes the fewest problems for my already problematic knees (Chronic chondromalacia patellae from playing catcher in baseball throughout my youth). Other than the handlebars being slightly higher due to the frame heaving a 2cm extended head tube, the position is identical to my single bike. My stoker has never ridden a single bike in her adult life, due to balance issues, so the position here is just what she likes. So far it is the most comfortable she has ever been on a tandem and it is as comfortable as my handmade steel single, which is rather impressive given that we are exactly the same height and on a frame that wasn't technically designed for us
Old 07-15-13, 07:35 AM
Turbotandem

Bikes: Paketa V2r di2, C-Dale MT 3000, Teesdale, 1963 Huffy Daisey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did you get the frame for free? Retail price on calfee frame is more than your $7,000 complete!
Old 07-15-13, 11:09 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
finally weighed the Burley Duet - 51lbs with racks and cages. oof. It's the one on the right. Just picked up the Rumba, it's a couple pounds lighter for sure.

Old 07-15-13, 02:42 PM
budhaslug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Turbotandem
Did you get the frame for free? Retail price on calfee frame is more than your $7,000 complete!
The frame was bought secondhand from Twocicle. The frame was originally built in 2007, but never purchased, and I believe sat in a shop till Twocicle bought it early in 2012. They road it for 1 season, decided they loved it but needed couplers, and rather than sending it back to Calfee to be chopped up, sold it to us and moved all the parts over to their new coupled calfee. We bought the frame and fork for $3500. From that point on, I set aside the other $3500 for all of the components and did some excessive price/weight comparisons to get everything right. The full build list is in this thread.

We had been looking for a high end tandem (complete or frame) for nearly 2 years, and nearly bought a couple (like this one) that just never quite worked out in sizing or part choices before we saw Twocicle post this one. If we had the disposable income, we would have bought a custom calfee made for us, but I think that the only differences would have been 1cm shorter captains top tube and no headtube extension. Other that that the bike is perfect for us. If money had really been no object, it would be a lot lighter too with much more expensive parts (cranks, derailleurs, etc).

Last edited by budhaslug; 07-15-13 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added links
Old 07-15-13, 06:24 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by budhaslug
Our new (to us) 2007 Calfee Tetra, nicknamed Tachycineta, is currently 25.2 pounds as you see it. This was a "budget" build, with the whole thing, including the frame and every single part (with shipping) coming in just under $7000. I still need to swap out the captain's pedals, probably for some new Time Xpresso 2's, once I commit to a new pedal system for my whole fleet of bikes (4 sets of pedals gets pricey), and these would bring the total weight to just under 25.0. And yes, it is very very blue.
Is your final weight a calculated weight or did you actually weigh it on a good digital bicycle scale?
Old 07-15-13, 09:36 PM
budhaslug

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Weighed it using subtraction on our home digital bathroom scale. Tried it in multiple locations and took multiple readings and every single one came out 25.2, so I'm pretty confident that is about right +/- .1 pounds (since it reads in .2lbs increments and the probability is that the weight is closer to 25.2 or you'd expect a mixture/predominance of 25.0 or 25.4 if it was actually closer to those with a gaussian error). There are better ways, but just buying the hanging digital scale would break my original budget, and I would have no use whatsoever for it after weighing the bike (my curiosity is just not worth the cost). The only bike shop nearby is about 10 miles of highway and shoulderless urban roads away, so its unlikely we'll ever stop by there with it to get it "properly" weighed.
Old 07-15-13, 10:16 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Our custom Zona carbon fiber tandem is now 10 years old (yup, time flies!). Still looks and rides great with over 35,000 miles on the odo.
Weight (without our junk/necessities) is still 26.5 lbs.
At ages 80 and 78 we can't think of a better investment in our health!
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Attached Images
HoK Stoker BB.jpg (62.7 KB, 179 views)
Compelete_Bike_crop_1.JPG (32.3 KB, 189 views)
_DSC3332.jpg (105.7 KB, 187 views)
Old 07-17-13, 12:10 PM
jberenyi

Bikes: Lynskey Level 3 Custom, De Bernardi SLX, Felt F1C, Burley Duet Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Early 90's Burley Duet pretty much all stock weighs in at 43lbs.
Attached Images
Tandem.jpg (106.4 KB, 182 views)
Old 07-21-13, 05:58 AM
DubT

With the HED3 wheels it weighs 27 pounds and 2 ounces. I used fairly heavy steel bolts to install the rear dropout spacers, I have titanium hardware on order, that should drop it to an even 27 pounds. That is with pedals and 4 bottle cages. I did remove the computers, the lights, the mirrors and the tool bag.

Last edited by DubT; 07-21-13 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-21-13, 06:35 AM
jberenyi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
With the HED3 wheels it weighs 27 pounds and 2 ounces. I used fairly heavy steel bolts to install the rear dropout spacers, I have titanium hardware on order, that should drop it to an even 27 pounds. That is with pedals and 4 bottle cages. I did remove the computers, the lights and the mirrors.

https://s307.photobucket.com/user/Dub...c5ddc.jpg.html
Can't see photos.
Old 07-21-13, 07:04 AM
DubT

Originally Posted by jberenyi
Can't see photos.
Try it now.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-13, 08:04 AM
jberenyi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DubT
Try it now.

Thanks.
That's freakin' amazing! I love it. I can only imagine what is cost.

Last edited by jberenyi; 07-21-13 at 03:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.