Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A recent study found that drivers viewed cyclists wearing a helmet or safety vest as

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A recent study found that drivers viewed cyclists wearing a helmet or safety vest as

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-23, 02:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I really don't think we Vary as much as you think. I have lived all over the south and Midwest You get out of THIS metro area and it's a totally different attitude . And want-to-be country boy in decked out 4 wheel drives that have never been off road are right behind the Asian car drivers
I don't think we're disagreeing at all. Just that the big vehicle thing seems to be something I encounter throughout New England, and I've never noticed anything special about Asian-manufactured vehicles as you describe.
Old 06-29-23, 02:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yeah sure sure, but it seems you post an objection about alleged improper posting etiquette and lack of "substance" and badger only those posters whose views don't meet your approval.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to object when your BF buddies make pretend they are subject matter moderators and post silly stuff in order to belittle or insult other posters with over the top snark.

I have no objection to article links as thread starters, but I can't help but note that you're generally as big a thread cop as anyone. I've been on the receiving end of enough of your "that doesn't belong here" stuff to pretend otherwise.

So how about instead of doing your usual "your buddies" bit, you actually comment on the OP article? You're actually a good commenter on methodological issues, you appear to know some stuff. I posted my take on the study, what's yours? I'm genuinely interested. I don't think this "dehumanization" concept is holding much water, what do you think?
Old 06-29-23, 02:36 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't think we're disagreeing at all. Just that the big vehicle thing seems to be something I encounter throughout New England, and I've never noticed anything special about Asian-manufactured vehicles as you describe.
I was out today test riding a mountain bike to hybrid/gravel/cruiser conversion at a park just 20 miles from downtown and you can tell a difference in drivers attitude it's very localized. 4 wheel drive pick that's shiny without a scratch chances of a jerk behind the wheel is high. Same truck except muddy and beat up probably okay driver . I just telling you what I see locally
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 06-29-23, 05:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
So how about instead of doing your usual "your buddies" bit, you actually comment on the OP article? You're actually a good commenter on methodological issues, you appear to know some stuff. I posted my take on the study, what's yours? I'm genuinely interested. I don't think this "dehumanization" concept is holding much water, what do you think?
OK, since you asked nicely (instead of your usual...) and your interest in my opinion is genuine unlike the fellow who falsely claims to be so interested in the OP's opinion -

I agree with you that the so-called study methodology is for poop for the reasons you previously cited, and the conclusions about "effect of safety attire on perceptions of cyclist dehumanisation" are less than worthless as far as determining if cyclists' apparel has any effect on driver behavior or response to actual bicyclists encountered on the road. I'd presume the study's authors had an hypothesis and took what ever steps they could to get the results they sought and then used their imagination to extrapolate those phony baloney results about dehumanization to actual cycling scenarios.
Old 06-29-23, 05:35 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Not commenting about the quality or methodology of the survey, but I understand the results.

Over last 50+ years I've noticed cyclists becoming more assertive (for better or worse, not a value judgement). I can see how drivers might associate that assertiveness with cyclists kitted out that way, and therefore focusing their resentment selectively. This isn't any different that how we, as cyclists, make judgements about drivers based on the type of car or pickup, so the only surprise is that anybody is surprised.
Indeed, I suspect that society as a whole has gotten more aggressive. But other factors may be playing a role as well. Traffic is more congested, meaning there are more occasions when cyclists find themselves in the fray. Together, these things raise everybody's frustration level. Cars are bigger and more powerful. It's hard to separate cause and effect.

And it's not particularly surprising that types of cars are related to the character of the driver -- cars are sold by appealing to social identity.
Old 06-29-23, 06:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
OK, since you asked nicely (instead of your usual...) and your interest in my opinion is genuine unlike the fellow who falsely claims to be so interested in the OP's opinion -

I agree with you that the so-called study methodology is for poop for the reasons you previously cited, and the conclusions about "effect of safety attire on perceptions of cyclist dehumanisation" are less than worthless as far as determining if cyclists' apparel has any effect on driver behavior or response to actual bicyclists encountered on the road. I'd presume the study's authors had an hypothesis and took what ever steps they could to get the results they sought and then used their imagination to extrapolate those phony baloney results about dehumanization to actual cycling scenarios.
Sorry, bud but not "false" I am actually curious but yeah you believe whatever you need to believe to help yourself sleep at night. You couldn't understand my original post so I get why you would think what you think.
Old 06-30-23, 05:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

My opinion is that this "hypothesis" is part of a long line of wrongheaded thinking that assumes that hostile and/or careless driving is somehow caused by a reaction to something cyclists are doing or wearing. Even in this thread, we see people translating this to be about hostility to kitted cyclists, ignoring the obvious disconnect between the kind of kit they're talking about and the vests and type of helmet the survey was asking about.

​​​​​
Old 06-30-23, 08:15 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy
I really don't think we Vary as much as you think. I have lived all over the south and Midwest You get out of THIS metro area and it's a totally different attitude . And want-to-be country boy in decked out 4 wheel drives that have never been off road are right behind the Asian car drivers
A staggering percentage of the cars on the road in the U.S. are Asian, whether built there or here. This characterization is pretty close to drivers' perception that most bike riders are inconsiderate jerks.
Old 06-30-23, 10:20 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
My opinion is that this "hypothesis" is part of a long line of wrongheaded thinking that assumes that hostile and/or careless driving is somehow caused by a reaction to something cyclists are doing or wearing. Even in this thread, we see people translating this to be about hostility to kitted cyclists, ignoring the obvious disconnect between the kind of kit they're talking about and the vests and type of helmet the survey was asking about.

​​​​​
In addition there is the transference by some posters of this "study's" conclusion about bicyclist clothing's alleged effects on drivers' "dehumanization of bicyclists," to an assumed relationship between type of vehicle driven and its drivers' attitude toward cyclists, if not direct impact on level of unsafe driving in the presence of bicyclists.
Old 06-30-23, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

In addition there is the transference by some posters of this "study's" conclusion about bicyclist clothing's alleged effects on drivers' "dehumanization of bicyclists," to an assumed relationship between type of vehicle driven and its drivers' attitude toward cyclists, if not direct impact on level of unsafe driving in the presence of bicyclists.
Not really, I just said that it's something I've observed, purely anecdotal. I make no claims that it even has anything to do with the "study" which, as I've said, really ended up being a survey of which outfit people thought looked more insectoid. I also make no claims that my observations (clearly unreliable, btw) would have any practical import.

The issue with assuming that it's something some cyclists are doing that's triggering motorists is that we've had people post proudly about how while they're driving, they've yelled at cyclists out of their own car windows that the cyclist's perceived misdeed (usually some version of taking the lane legally) is somehow making other cyclists less safe. Outside of the fact that such yelling behavior would be a textbook example of distracted driving and therefore proclaiming that a safety promotion is clearly hypocritical, it's also justified by a really crappy hypothesis. When it comes to issues like lane positioning, clothing, etc., I think it's a hell of a lot better for individual riders to do what they think is safest in any given situation, and trying to speculate on how some motorist about whom I know nothing is going to perceive that action and store a grudge if they don't like it is a completely stupid distraction from the actual task at hand.
Old 06-30-23, 05:06 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Which image looks less human? Like maybe it's a generative AI image of a human instead of a photograph? I heard you can tell by looking at the hands and fingers. Wait, is that what this is about?

Didn't Ray Bradbury write about the dehumanization of pedestrians in a motorcar culture in 1953? I'm sure it began with the popularization of the motorcar decades before, but it was at least recognized in popular culture by the 50's. "The Pedestrian" was published in 1951, but it wasn't as influential as Fahrenheit 451.

I am not convinced this really has anything to do with bicycling, but that it is a feature of automotive culture that dehumanizes pedestrians, cyclists, skateboarders, and any non-automotive traffic alike. The only "safety gear" that would make a difference is being in another cage. So if this is an argument against helmets, I'm not buying it. I don't have to be persuaded against helmet mandates. I don't think you should have to wear one, but that I would be a fool not to.
Old 07-01-23, 06:17 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 792 Posts
Did the study look into motorists seeing motorcyclists as less human when they wear a helmet? Maybe that's why so many motorcyclists in Florida don't wear helmets
Likes For work4bike:
Old 07-01-23, 09:17 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Considering what drivers currently do when pedestrians are crossing in the crosswalks, treating cyclists as less than human doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

But consider if instead of pedestrians walking in the crosswalk it was a city slow moving street cleaning vehicle, I'm sure drivers would give it the right of way instead of cutting it off or racing in front of it.
Old 07-02-23, 07:00 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I remember all the rubbish when wearing a seat belt became manatory. There would be comments about how dangerous seat belts were because if the car stopped for some reason on a railroad track and for some reason the buckle mechanism jammed the occupant would die. Go to a wrecking yard and look at all the head sized holes in windshields on the passenger side and the wisdom of wearing a seat belt is obvious.