Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cleaning out shifter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cleaning out shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 09:15 AM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
Cleaning out shifter

My right shifter wasn't catching (working) when trying to go into smaller cogs yesterday. I'm going to spray some degreaser in there to clean it out, but what should I use to lubricate it? Does chain lube work? Or is there something better? A bike shop guy told me he uses Muc - Off spray, but that's not a lube, right? That's just to keep water out. I might need to call him to clarify.
Old 09-11-23, 09:44 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
What kind of shifter? Shimano brake lever style, downtube shifter? If brake lever style spraying degreaser isn't usually done, I'd look for a frayed shifter cable.
Old 09-11-23, 09:50 AM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by Steelman54
What kind of shifter? Shimano brake lever style, downtube shifter? If brake lever style spraying degreaser isn't usually done, I'd look for a frayed shifter cable.
;It's Shimano Tiagra ST-4700-L 2x
Old 09-11-23, 10:03 AM
CoogansBluff

FYI, I can get it back to shifting, but I don't think it's going to hold for long.
Old 09-11-23, 12:52 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
The first half of this thread is relevant to your situation, the second not so much.

Lubrication port on Shimano Dura Ace 7800 integrated shift lever? - Bike Forums

You don't really explain 'not catching'. It could be dried up grease or a frayed cabled or kinked housing. Try clean & lube first. Cabling issues are a completely different can of worms
Old 09-11-23, 03:12 PM
CoogansBluff

Originally Posted by coupster
The first half of this thread is relevant to your situation, the second not so much.

Lubrication port on Shimano Dura Ace 7800 integrated shift lever? - Bike Forums

You don't really explain 'not catching'. It could be dried up grease or a frayed cabled or kinked housing. Try clean & lube first. Cabling issues are a completely different can of worms
When I move the lever to go down into a smaller cog, there is not sound. It just moves from right to left. I can move to a bigger cog, that lever works, but not down to a lower one. I adjusted it on the ride, moving it back and forth (not while riding, but while stopped), and it started working, and I finished the ride without incident. And today I cleaned w/ degreaser, but not sure what lube to use, whether chain lube is OK. I'm about to go ride again and see if things have cleared up.

Thanks for link. I'll read up.
Old 09-11-23, 05:13 PM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
On my old brifters that did the same thing, I turned the bike upside down and flushed with WD 40 till it shifted fine. Then I lubed with TriFlow. Chain lube might be a little too sticky, depending on the type.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 09-12-23, 08:22 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 09-12-23, 09:26 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
RJ may get all the video hits for his easy fix, but flushing / flooding a shifter or brifter is often only a temporary solution which softens the original grease for a while - until it resolidifies and the problem recurs.

I've degummed dozens of shifters and brifters using an ultrasonic cleaner. Sometimes it takes many passes to get the old crud out of there, and sometimes it's just too far gone to save. But my long term success rate is rather high. I just did nearly a dozen in the past week from donated bikes.

The drawback is you have to take the shifter or brifter completely off the bars, which means pulling cables and rewrapping bars. For some people, it's not worth the effort, so they periodically flush with solvent. Most of the bikes I work on are likely to go to riders who aren't mechanically-inclined, so I prefer a more labor-intensive but permanent solution.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 09-12-23, 09:31 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
I've had good luck with Triflow after a flush.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 09-26-23, 09:20 PM
Silver02M5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Flush with any spray solvent (original WD-40 actually does work great) while working over and over, then spray in grease. I use spray white lithium, but others are likely just as good.