Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Have an ebike on an old frame and seat broke off

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 09:49 PM
Biker123321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is the best seat for an 26.6 x 350mm seatpost does it have to be custom? It’s an old shwinn mountain bike.

Last edited by Biker123321; 09-28-23 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-29-23, 08:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I'm assuming the seatpost/seat junction is atypical. If it is, Amazon has seatposts that will accept any seats for $20 or so. Otherwise maybe a coop/ebay etc can help.
Old 09-30-23, 03:00 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
First thing. I can't tell you how many times I've sent people back to measure again, and again (3x), average the results, and get back to me. Unless Schwinn says that that seatpost is 26.6mm, I am not taking it on any less than the average of 3 separate measurements done with calipers, before I spend money. And, I'm just saying, maybe an old Schwinn is not the best candidate for an e-assist. Better to go without an e-assisted bike than to be injured or killed by one that you have forced into the role. I hope there are torque arms on that build.
Edit: FWIW 25.4mm as a seatpost diameter for a legacy Schwinn is coming up more than 22.2 mm (which I doubt anyway). I don't see 26.6 at all, which is why you need to measure again. Accurately. To get what you need.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-30-23 at 03:09 PM.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-30-23, 07:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
This isn't an e-bike question in the least. In terms of making it into an e-bike I wouldn't turn any Schwinn into an e-bike unless built to be one. In terms of saddles, get any saddle that works for you. In terms of seat posts do what Leisesturm suggested and measure it and measure it again and measure it one more time and make sure you are measuring correctly all three times or just take it to your local shop and have them help out.

If you want an e-bike get an e-bike if you want a Schwinn hopefully it is a decent one they make basically nothing but absolute trash these days and the few bikes worth a damn in past 20 years have generally been badged Schwinn and made by others and the old Paramount stuff is too nice to be made into an e-bike. A good pre-built e-bike with a Bosch, Brose, Shimano...system it will be reliable and have good support behind it for the long term and more shops are going to be willing to work on it.