Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.4

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-23, 01:47 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
alright my trainer window starts now and ends in 75 minutes, time to hop on it. hard day today. I think im gonna experiment with a solo/free ride route going for a couple segments and/or pacer bot time instead of looking up events/races.
I would say that went fairly well. Went straight up Epic KOM for some sweet spot, then down to FF reverse for a Z4/5 romp. Total about 30 minutes going hard and 75 minutes total. Not bad, I may do this any time I have an hour that doesn't align with any racing events I'm interested in, or just to gauge fitness.

Segment 1: Epic KOM, 22:42, second place. Started with another rider towards the bottom who was going a few clicks faster than me. I didn't turn myself inside out trying to keep the wheel and instead rode my pace, which was more moderate.

Segment 2: Fuego reverse, 9:36. again second place. A few minutes in I saw that time fast time was 9:11 which was a few seconds faster than I've ever done it solo, and I like that segment too. So again, instead of trying to put in a superman effort. I rode my place and secured second on the segment.

channeling my inner Wout Van Aert or Peter Sagan w/ these 2nds lol
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-17-23, 02:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12780 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
For all the fans of flautists that have been posting lately, the jazz outfit at the beginning of Night Tide might be of interest.

Now Showing on Velo Vol's favourite film streaming service. I'm viewing it on Movies! so yoight be able to catch it there as well...

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 10-17-23, 02:17 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28623 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 10-17-23, 02:19 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28623 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Now Showing on Velo Vol's favourite film streaming service.
Watched Judgement at Nuremberg over the weekend. #ClassicFilms

Old 10-17-23, 02:19 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Nice. In laws will be moving in soon which means the trainer will have to go into the garage until I can get the fitness room built. The garage has a cubby area where it will fit, just have to move stuff. The only issue, my garage only has one outlet, which is insane to me. So I will have to run an extension cord plus surge protectors. I would like to mount a tv but I don’t know how to run zwift through my Ipad to the TV that I have. The one available is not a smart tv.

In other news, did a steady zone 3 ride today. Average power at the end of the ride was 195 which is ok I guess. More upset that my speed has just bled off this past year. Not doing intervals on the regular or the group rides is taking its toll on my fitness. At mile 35 I wanted to stop, plan was to do a metric but suffered through another 20 miles. It’s crazy. 35 miles used to be my warm up. I hate regressing. It’s like I am at a loss to get back to where I was. All I did before was ride a lot, and that’s what I do now. Oh well.
Old 10-17-23, 02:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Possibly related to Garfield.
Old 10-17-23, 02:31 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Ian Anderson was just one of the weird ducks in the group. They were/are good musicians though.

IAN ANDERSON - ACOUSTIC LIVE IN CHILE 1993 - YouTube
lead guitar in aqualung still one of my all time favs
Old 10-17-23, 02:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Nice. In laws will be moving in soon which means the trainer will have to go into the garage until I can get the fitness room built. The garage has a cubby area where it will fit, just have to move stuff. The only issue, my garage only has one outlet, which is insane to me. So I will have to run an extension cord plus surge protectors. I would like to mount a tv but I don’t know how to run zwift through my Ipad to the TV that I have. The one available is not a smart tv.

In other news, did a steady zone 3 ride today. Average power at the end of the ride was 195 which is ok I guess. More upset that my speed has just bled off this past year. Not doing intervals on the regular or the group rides is taking its toll on my fitness. At mile 35 I wanted to stop, plan was to do a metric but suffered through another 20 miles. It’s crazy. 35 miles used to be my warm up. I hate regressing. It’s like I am at a loss to get back to where I was. All I did before was ride a lot, and that’s what I do now. Oh well.
TBH riding at z3 for 3+ hours constitutes a hard effort for most anyone who isn't on the World Tour. I can't go out and do that "at the drop of a hat" without having my fatigue level and fueling dialed in, and I'm one of the better 35+ dudes in SoCal/SCNCA. A lot of coaches advocate to "push up", "negative split" or let the watts come to you on longer rides. If you're gonna go out and press the issue for that long (vs a short interval ride) you need to be in good condition.

Not sure how deep your history is with cycling, but if you had been able to do that routinely, that is somewhat unusual and perhaps a talent of yours. We all have our relative strengths and weaknesses.

Also, we also had only like two outlets in our large garage when we moved in, and only one one side as well which sucked. We had an electrician come in and plumb some conduit to make a few more. Cost like 120 bucks, although there may have been a slight discount since we had known eachother for a few years (he contracts at my work).
Old 10-17-23, 02:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

just talked to my wife who said no way was that 120 bucks. It couldn't have been much more than a couple hundred.... feel like that would have registered more in my memory. Hard to say though as it was when we moved into the home after we purchased in May 2022 and we were spending like crazy for a bit
Old 10-17-23, 02:46 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Pretty stoked here in that although this is the smallest studio apartment I've ever seen, approx 11x20, there are 17 plugs available.
Old 10-17-23, 02:56 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3202 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
I agree with the underlying ethos towards the stereotypical Gen Z attitude towards work: taking aim at corporate greed, bureaucracy, income inequality etc and placing a higher emphasis towards wellness and self care. You just gotta learn how to play the game and avoid any outwardly negative expression in or around the workplace. Once this kid gets that, he'll be fine. it's in your interest to just play the damn game
A thing I refused /refuse to do. Any game. Redacted
Old 10-17-23, 03:11 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

When I built my current shop, eight years ago, I put a receptacle every four feet at a meter high. It has worked out well.
Old 10-17-23, 03:26 PM
seedsbelize2

I got this free gift with my drill purchase. Amazon wouldn't do that for me.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 10-17-23, 03:28 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
For all the fans of flautists that have been posting lately, the jazz outfit at the beginning of Night Tide might be of interest.

Now Showing on Velo Vol's favourite film streaming service. I'm viewing it on Movies! so yoight be able to catch it there as well.
This might also be of interest; one of my all-time fave recordings/albums (ranks after Art Pepper, but still ... ) w/ jazz flute.

Old 10-17-23, 03:31 PM
seedsbelize2

Pretty stoked here in that although this is the smallest studio apartment I've ever seen, approx 11x20, there are 17 plugs available.
Does it have a Murphy bed?
Old 10-17-23, 03:45 PM
bampilot06

TBH riding at z3 for 3+ hours constitutes a hard effort for most anyone who isn't on the World Tour. I can't go out and do that "at the drop of a hat" without having my fatigue level and fueling dialed in, and I'm one of the better 35+ dudes in SoCal/SCNCA. A lot of coaches advocate to "push up", "negative split" or let the watts come to you on longer rides. If you're gonna go out and press the issue for that long (vs a short interval ride) you need to be in good condition.

Not sure how deep your history is with cycling, but if you had been able to do that routinely, that is somewhat unusual and perhaps a talent of yours. We all have our relative strengths and weaknesses.

Also, we also had only like two outlets in our large garage when we moved in, and only one one side as well which sucked. We had an electrician come in and plumb some conduit to make a few more. Cost like 120 bucks, although there may have been a slight discount since we had known eachother for a few years (he contracts at my work).

Just comparing to last season. I mean multiple times I was able to do 100 miles with average power in the 190s.

My HR was only 140 today which is what I was focusing on. Power zone wise it was tempo, HR wise it was zone 2. My max HR is 186.

Last year most of my rides were in the 140 range which led to me going into the red load wise often. This year majority of my rides HR is only 120 my new comfort zone. Getting out of that has been hard.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 10-17-23, 04:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Does it have a Murphy bed?
I wish!
Old 10-17-23, 04:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10438 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
I posted the pic from Sunday's ride (the one form the other day, with the Ironman) on FB, where it got likes from a lot of my friends. My BIL in Florida, who's a national-class speed skater in his age class, responded that he still rides his old Sears 12 speed, and tries to keep up with hit skater buds but even spinning 120 rpm in his highest gear he only goes 20 mph. I gently suggested he was wrong about the cadence, because 120rpm to do 20 mph is like small ring/mid cassette, but 60 rpm in high gear would do it.

So now he asked about what a good bike and a good price would be. "Lots of used bikes in Florida." Maybe I can help him.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-17-23, 05:08 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Bought our house in 99. Garage only had two outlets near the house. I bought a book on wiring, and installed two more plus four work lights on the rafters. I don't think I'd even attempt it now.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 10-17-23, 06:25 PM
seedsbelize2

Putting in outlets and lights is pretty straightforward.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 10-17-23, 06:31 PM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
Straight forward, as long as you install the right gauge of wire, the correct size breaker, and wire things correctly.
Likes For SW84:
Old 10-17-23, 06:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Cool record badger1, I'll check that out. I'm a jazz and bossa lover, in case that wasn't obvious by my account name and avatar pic.

Just comparing to last season. I mean multiple times I was able to do 100 miles with average power in the 190s.

My HR was only 140 today which is what I was focusing on. Power zone wise it was tempo, HR wise it was zone 2. My max HR is 186.

Last year most of my rides were in the 140 range which led to me going into the red load wise often. This year majority of my rides HR is only 120 my new comfort zone. Getting out of that has been hard.
Fair enough, yeah comparing to previous seasons is fairly objective. HR zones do trend downward over time (mine have a bit), but aerobic efficiency and power can stay high or even improve as you age. Unless you're seriously old, at which point decay is inevitable. I know tons of guys in their 40's who are strong like bull and plenty of guys in their 50's that are still good. There are some multi-time national champ, former pro types around here in their 60's that can still hang in an elite P/1/2 race or hammer fest ride, although those seem to be special cases.

Hopefully you can find your groove again and start making more power while feeling good on the bike. Sometimes it helps the body to take a break or dial it back for a while and then rebuild. Esp if life comes in the way, or if it's by design like surrounding a racing season.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
A thing I refused /refuse to do. Any game. Redacted
Well good on ya for stickin' to you guns. Hopefully never playing anyone's game hasn't caused you too much friction or difficulty. Some people would interpret that as stubborn. Although that's only one way to look at it. all a matter of perspective I guess.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-17-23, 06:42 PM
bampilot06

Cool record badger1, I'll check that out. I'm a jazz and bossa lover, in case that wasn't obvious by my account name and avatar pic.

Fair enough, yeah comparing to previous seasons is fairly objective. HR zones do trend downward over time (mine have a bit), but aerobic efficiency and power can stay high or even improve as you age. Unless you're seriously old, at which point decay is inevitable. I know tons of guys in their 40's who are strong like bull and plenty of guys in their 50's that are still good. There are some multi-time national champ, former pro types around here in their 60's that can still hang in an elite P/1/2 race or hammer fest ride, although those seem to be special cases.

Hopefully you can find your groove again and start making more power while feeling good on the bike. Sometimes it helps the body to take a break or dial it back for a while and then rebuild. Esp if life comes in the way, or if it's by design like surrounding a racing season.

Well good on ya for stickin' to you guns. Hopefully never playing anyone's game hasn't caused you too much friction or difficulty. Some people would interpret that as stubborn. Although that's only one way to look at it. all a matter of perspective I guess.

I am only 35.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 10-17-23, 06:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Same-ish. 36, 37 next month. I've been cycling competitively for 15 years and I've been at my best performance from 2019 - current. Some of that is being lower in body weight - 145 lbs vs the 155 lbs that I had been hanging out at for quite a while. Power isn't so different, maybe slightly higher.

In other news, I bought some used parts on ebay to increase the comfort that I have on my 2022 TCR Pro. Built it up from the frame about a year ago (labor day deal on the frameset) and the cockpit components that I selected are a bit uncomfortable for my liking. This should serve to lighten it up a bit too.

lightweight goodness

The bars are some random Enve "compact" 40 cm carbon bars. Notice the grooves in the underside of the bar indicating an overt lack of internal routing. I now get to learn how to install Shimano brake lines (barb/olive/bleed) for hydraulic discs since they were internally routed at the initial install. Oh the joys of modern technology. This way I can swap em out again if I don't like it. For the saddle - an old school Selle SLR. Always wanted to try one. I have a cheapo nashbar knockoff on another bike and kinda like it.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 10-17-23, 06:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
I am only 35.
I was 35 when I joined the road club. That was almost 35 years ago.
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.