Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I think I found my Ross Paragon that I sold in 1988. Please advise.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I think I found my Ross Paragon that I sold in 1988. Please advise.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 02:32 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Do you come back to WI on occasion? I'd be able to store it in Milwaukee if you had plans to visit anytime in the next year or so. I could meet 10 grain somewhere for a handoff
Thank you for the thoughtful offer. I never go back to Wisconsin anymore however and have no plans to at this time.
Old 02-01-24, 02:36 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
wow! I didnt think that through. You are right!! but still. that it has a flipstand (flickstand) is pretty rare imo.
Yeah, just having the flickstand, bike color, and location are all in your favor.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-01-24, 02:37 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by smd4
I guess there's only one way to find out...
The definitive way would be to match the serial number with the serial number on the receipt from the bike store. My understanding is that bike shops keep records of every bike sold. I looked up the name of the store I bought it from which is Bike and Ski in Sheboygan Wisconsin on Indiana avenue but they apparently have gone out of business. The records may still exist on a computer somewhere. I dont know what happened to that receipt. Its probably with the catalog. it was in with my books that probablly got taken to the library when my dad moved. Long lost. I found a receipt from a drill press my dad bought in 1993 or so but no Ross Paragon receipt. So unless I can get a hold of the owner of Bike and Ski and see if he has records of all Ross Paragons from 1983 through 1985, I will have to go by intuition and clues.
Old 02-01-24, 02:38 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Yeah, just having the flickstand, bike color, and location are all in your favor.
I think all the Ross paragons were the same color though. Bordeaux.
Old 02-01-24, 02:44 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,132 Times in 1,971 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
a few thoughts:
-i found the listing, says 'in stock', which is code for "my price is absolutely crazy and it has not sold after being listed forever".
-price is o.b.o.
so you have those things in your favor.

IF, and that is a HUGE 'IF" you can verify that it is indeed your old bike, it is difficult to put a price on sentimentality, but try not to seem overly enthusiastic to the seller (might be too late for that), otherwise they might not want to negotiate too much on price. maybe at this point that doesn't matter.
also i'm sure you know by now that there would be after purchase expenses, like shipping.
again, IF this is your old bike, you need to figure out how much it is worth for you to get it back.

if it is NOT your original bike, $300 for a clapped out, needing everything Paragon is about $250-$275 too high.

would be cool to see you get it IF it was your original bike.
Yeah, this was the elephant in the room of thought for me.

$300 is an awfully high amount for a Ross Paragon in this (or any market). Those are CoVid prices completely restored methinks.

i could see the seller having you over a barrel of sentimentality at around $100. I don’t remember the model well, but I got a near mint Ross Centaur from roughly the same era during Covid for $50.

Nonethless, a really cool story, especially you selling your baby to help another person.

Edit: after doing some scouting around, I think initial estimate is too low. Ishiwata 024, bar ends, supposedly Cyclone? I could see $125 being pretty decent as a price.

Last edited by jdawginsc; 02-01-24 at 04:09 PM.
Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 02-01-24, 03:12 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I think all the Ross paragons were the same color though. Bordeaux.
Ah. Didn't know that. Still...two out of three!
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-01-24, 08:22 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
The definitive way would be to match the serial number with the serial number on the receipt from the bike store. My understanding is that bike shops keep records of every bike sold. I looked up the name of the store I bought it from which is Bike and Ski in Sheboygan Wisconsin on Indiana avenue but they apparently have gone out of business. The records may still exist on a computer somewhere. I dont know what happened to that receipt. Its probably with the catalog. it was in with my books that probablly got taken to the library when my dad moved. Long lost. I found a receipt from a drill press my dad bought in 1993 or so but no Ross Paragon receipt. So unless I can get a hold of the owner of Bike and Ski and see if he has records of all Ross Paragons from 1983 through 1985, I will have to go by intuition and clues.
Mid 1980s Would have been paper records - Gone
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-01-24, 10:27 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Maybe this is like getting together with an old girlfriend where you’ll be reminded why you broke up
Old 02-01-24, 10:40 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Maybe this is like getting together with an old girlfriend where you’ll be reminded why you broke up
There is so much truth to that!!

Last edited by BikePower; 02-02-24 at 01:35 AM.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 02-02-24, 07:07 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
No bike shop I ever worked for recorded bike serial numbers in the shop's inventory/point-of-sale computer. Very few shops even had computers in the early/mid-1980s, when that bike was in production.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-02-24, 07:48 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Edit: after doing some scouting around, I think initial estimate is too low. Ishiwata 024, bar ends, supposedly Cyclone? I could see $125 being pretty decent as a price.
gotta disagree. below are pics of factory specs. no bar ends, Superbe derailleurs/shifters were the 'high end' parts on it, but everything else was middle-ish of the road. frame had some sizing quirks and the funky fork dropouts.

a few years ago i picked up a hammered, but pretty original Paragon at the local bike thrift store, in comparable condition to the one the OP is asking about, with the stock Superbe components, for $25 out the door. this was after it had sat there for several weeks with no takers.

also below is an 'as purchased' pic of a Paragon i picked up at the height of pandemic pricing, 2 hour drive each way, pretty much bone stock and mostly original, fully ride ready when i bought it.
i don't remember the exact price, but i know it was under, or maybe right at $200. pretty sure it wasn't more than that. i do not own it anymore.

i'll stand by my 'any old bike' 'valuation' of $25-$50, sentimental value to the OP could (should?) be higher if it's indeed their old bike.

again, best of luck to the OP to firstly determine if it is indeed their old bike, and secondly, acquiring it if it is.

Last edited by hazetguy; 02-02-24 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 02-02-24, 09:04 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

gotta disagree. below are pics of factory specs. no bar ends, Superbe derailleurs/shifters were the 'high end' parts on it, but everything else was middle-ish of the road. frame had some sizing quirks and the funky fork dropouts.

a few years ago i picked up a hammered, but pretty original Paragon at the local bike thrift store, in comparable condition to the one the OP is asking about, with the stock Superbe components, for $25 out the door. this was after it had sat there for several weeks with no takers.

also below is an 'as purchased' pic of a Paragon i picked up at the height of pandemic pricing, 2 hour drive each way, pretty much bone stock and mostly original, fully ride ready when i bought it.
i don't remember the exact price, but i know it was under, or maybe right at $200. pretty sure it wasn't more than that. i do not own it anymore.

i'll stand by my 'any old bike' 'valuation' of $25-$50, sentimental value to the OP could (should?) be higher if it's indeed their old bike.

again, best of luck to the OP to firstly determine if it is indeed their old bike, and secondly, acquiring it if it is.

thanks Hazet for posting the spec sheet. I believe that is the 1983 specs. I notice the saddle says Viscount Aero. Indeed that is the seat that was originally on my bike. I noticed on the bike for sale it is a Velo. If it can be shown that Velo seats came on 82 or 84 Paragons then that would be strong evidence that it is NOT my old bike. Anyone happen to have access to those spec sheets 82 and 84?
Old 02-02-24, 09:06 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,052 Posts
saddles are easily changed, and i sure as heck would not use that as any kind of determining factor.
no Paragon in the '82 or '85 catalog (i don't have an '84 catalog)

Last edited by hazetguy; 02-02-24 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 02-02-24, 10:08 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

saddles are easily changed, and i sure as heck would not use that as any kind of determining factor.
no Paragon in the '82 or '85 catalog (i don't have an '84 catalog)
i didnt see one in the 82 catalog either but i did see a 1982 price sheet that showed Paragon.
Old 02-02-24, 10:16 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,132 Times in 1,971 Posts
i didnt see one in the 82 catalog either but i did see a 1982 price sheet that showed Paragon.
If I were a betting person, it is yours. Just too many close coincidences.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 02-02-24, 04:32 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I noticed that it has regular drop bars on it not the cut off bullhorns that I modded on my old bike.
Since the seller is somewhat willing to provide photos at your request, ask for a photo of the markings on the handlebar. If they are the SP alloy custom bars in the spec sheet it stands to reason these are the original bars as I doubt someone would have gone to the trouble to source original equipment bars if they did swap back to drop bars. If they have some other markings, then it may lean more towards being your bike.

As an aside, I too wish I could get my hands on my high school bike. But a few months ago I paid twice what I wanted to for a Takara like I had back in the day so nostalgia does have a dollar value. I hope this is indeed your old bike and that the seller realizes the asking price is too far out there to be reasonable. Good luck.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-02-24, 05:16 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Since the seller is somewhat willing to provide photos at your request, ask for a photo of the markings on the handlebar. If they are the SP alloy custom bars in the spec sheet it stands to reason these are the original bars as I doubt someone would have gone to the trouble to source original equipment bars if they did swap back to drop bars. If they have some other markings, then it may lean more towards being your bike.

As an aside, I too wish I could get my hands on my high school bike. But a few months ago I paid twice what I wanted to for a Takara like I had back in the day so nostalgia does have a dollar value. I hope this is indeed your old bike and that the seller realizes the asking price is too far out there to be reasonable. Good luck.
Thats a good point and it occured to me that those bars are original and if so then its a lean towards not my bike.

But SR aluminum bars are fairly common on low to mid range bikes. So just because they didnt replace them with nitto or kmart steel bars doesnt mean they arent replacements. If they ARE steel bars or non SR alloy bars it is strong weight in our favor.

That stem is suspect to me. It looks awfully short compared to pics of stock Paragons. It looks to be an SR but about a 60mm?? The spec sheet doesnt say what size the stock stem was.

If the 1984 catalog says a Velo seat was the spec then its pretty safe to say its not my bike especially if the bars are SR alloy. That would lower my chaces to 90% not mine. I do not have access to an 1984 spec sheet. Do any of you?

Last edited by BikePower; 02-02-24 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 05:30 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
According to this old post it looks like user McDave may have access to the 1984 catalog. though the last time he posted here was 2008. Could shoot a PM anyways, maybe it goes to his email.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 02-02-24, 05:34 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by polymorphself
According to this old post it looks like user McDave may have access to the 1984 catalog. though the last time he posted here was 2008. Could shoot a PM anyways, maybe it goes to his email.
good try Poly. when I try it says that he is not accepting messages
Old 02-02-24, 07:55 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
But SR aluminum bars are fairly common on low to mid range bikes. So just because they didnt replace them with nitto or kmart steel bars doesnt mean they arent replacements.
The Nitto bars on two of my Takaras are also stamped Takara. Perhaps someone will know if Ross had their brand stamped on the bars they used. If so and these bars are stamped Ross, then the chances of this being your bike grow a bit slimmer. But on the other hand if they should be branded Ross and are not, then IMHO that increases the odds of this being your bike.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-02-24, 08:36 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

gotta disagree. below are pics of factory specs. no bar ends, Superbe derailleurs/shifters were the 'high end' parts on it, but everything else was middle-ish of the road. frame had some sizing quirks .....
Can you elaborate what you mean by sizing quirks on the Ross Paragons? Thanks.

Last edited by BikePower; 02-02-24 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 10:22 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
. . .
If i knew the serial number could any of you tell when the bike was made?
I have seen one serial number for the Pargon model. The format was for frames made in Allentown, PA.

Where would the serial number be and how can i decipher the year? If its newer than 83 maybe 84 its not mine
Ross bicycles from Allentown factory were usually on the non-driveside dropout or the bottom bracket. According to the catalogue the Paragon and Aristocrat models had forged dropouts, so it is unlikely that the serial number will be there. I have seen an Aristocrat model with the serial number on the bottom bracket.

The first two digits of the serial number are for the month of the year and the next two digits are for the year.

Last edited by Hummer; 02-02-24 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-02-24, 10:59 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Hummer
I have seen one serial number for the Pargon model. The format was for frames made in Allentown, PA.

Ross bicycles from Allentown factory were usually on the non-driveside dropout or the bottom bracket. According to the catalogue the Paragon and Aristocrat models had forged dropouts, so it is unlikely that the serial number will be there. I have seen an Aristocrat model with the serial number on the bottom bracket.

The first two digits of the serial number are for the month of the year and the next two digits are for the year.
Thank you!!
Old 02-03-24, 09:45 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
It boils down to this - how many Ross Paragon's in this part of the country had a flick-stand? I'd guess that the odds are pretty low.
Oh, definitely agree. Very, very low. But not 100%
Ive never even seen another flickstand on a bike... EVER. All the bikes I look at in photos online and for sale ads , I have never seen one. I find that encouraging.
I have had 2 Flickstands in a drawer that came on bikes that I acquired- I took them off to put fenders on. But they were both 1980s bikes in SE WI with Flickstands, ostensibly on there for 35+ years. I've never gotten the impression that Flickstands were an uncommon accessory.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-03-24, 10:18 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I have had 2 Flickstands in a drawer that came on bikes that I acquired- I took them off to put fenders on. But they were both 1980s bikes in SE WI with Flickstands, ostensibly on there for 35+ years. I've never gotten the impression that Flickstands were an uncommon accessory.
thats not good. Maybe it was common in wisconsin in the 80s. ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.